The Deep Freeze Byzantine Winter Festival is a free family event uniting Ukrainian, Franco-Albertan, Franco-African, First Nations, Chinese and Acadian/East Coast communities to taste, share and experience the Olde New Year.
Deep Freeze 2017: Village Upside Down features a variety of free activities, including live music, cuisine, dance, wagon rides, ice skating, storytelling, fireworks, an artisan market and gallery, and much more. January 14 will be Francophone Cultural Day and January 15 will be Ukrainian Cultural Day. There will be Aboriginal Cultural performances and programming on both days.
10 Things to do at Byzantine Winter Festival
1. Experience French Canadian Heritage with music, cuisine, and dance.
2. Enjoy Ice skating, Ice bar, Ice Promenade, Ice slide, hotdog and marshmallow roast.
3. Party along with great entertainers – Ice skating, Ice bar, Ice Promenade, Ice slide, hotdog and marshmallow roast.
4. Celebrate the Olde New Year with Ukrainian food and entertainment.
5. Dance to Ukranian melodies and enjoy Pow Wow Dancers.
6. Have fun doing the Heritage Activities including wagon rides, outdoor ice-skating, Olde Thyme curling, winter mini golf, giant ice slide, and log cutting competition.
7. Shop at the Indigenous Art Display and Artisan Sales.
8. Take part in the street hockey competition.
9. Learn and share in a very special community celebration presented by Enoch Cree Nation
10. Enjoy Canada 150Fireworks.
January 14 & 15,2017
Saturday: Noon – 10:00 PM
Sunday: Noon – 6:00 PM
Canada 150 Fireworks on Saturday | 6:00 pm – 6:20 pm @ Alberta Avenue Park
Cree Round Dance Celebration. Presented by Enoch Cree Nation on Saturday | 6:30 pm – 12:00 am (Midnight) [email protected] Avenue Community League (9210 – 118 Avenue)
Free Admission, donations gratefully accepted.
Purchase food & drink tickets at two locations; Alberta Avenue Community Centre and the Northern Lights Family Beer Garden & Ice Bar (Giant Igloo).
Byzantine Winter Festival Location/Directions
The festival is held a 118 AVE, 90 – 94 Street.
Public transit – Route 5 & 8
Parking at Deep Freeze A Byzantine Winter Festival
Parking lot at 117 Ave and 95 St
ATB (118 Ave and 88 St)
Street parking where permitted.