“People travel to faraway places to watch, in fascination, the kind of things* they ignore at home”. – Dagobert D. Runes
Be a tourist in your City!
This summer, after enjoying all the treasures of the Capital city, roundup your friends or family, and have an enchanting time exploring Alberta’s Capital Region. From deep canyons to sand dunes to pristine lakes, there are LOTS to experience within two hours of Edmonton.
5 Day Trips with Toddlers
- Visit Fort Saskatchewan to see the Sheep.
- Visit Gibbons/Bon Accord (Prairie Gardens & Jurassic Forest).
- Beaches around Edmonton
- Edmonton Corn Maze
- Saumer Time Alpaca Ranch at Onoway.
5 Day Trips with Older Kids
- Visit Sylvan Lake
- Enjoy tubing at Pembina River
- Explore Hardluck Canyon and Whitecourt.
- Explore UFO Landing Site at St. Paul
- Visit Ukrainian Cultural Heritage Village.
A summary of attractions and activities within 2 hours of Edmonton (outside city of Edmonton limits) are listed in this article.
Before you go:
1. Check Weather Warnings, Road Conditions, Beaches water quality, Blue green algae advisory and fire bans. During provincial/local fire bans, use of OHV vehicles might be restricted. Please verify before travelling.
2. The local trips are extremely cheap. Most country museums’ admissions are by donation or free and nature attractions are always free. You may pack a picnic to enjoy on the way at the local park or call the local tourism phone number and ask for recommendations for local eats made from farm fresh local produce.
- Page 1: Day trips North West of Edmonton – between Yellowhead Highway/Highway 16 and Highway 28 (Highway 28 traverses NE of Edmonton)
- Page 2: Day trips North East of Edmonton – between Highway 16 and Highway 28
- Page 3: Day trips South West of Edmonton – between Highway 16 and Highway 2. (Article in Progress )
- Page 4:Day trips South East of Edmonton – between Highway 16 and Highway 2. (Article NOT DONE )
- Page 4:References: Links to regional tourism websites and other useful websites.
1. North West of Edmonton – between Highway 16 and 28.
Cross Lake Provincial Park is another day trip or weekend getaway destination (within 2 hours of Edmonton).