A list of 25 things to do during 2019 Edition of Winterlude that celebrates Canada’s Diversity.
Winterlude kicks off on February 1, lighting up the capital during the festival’s 41st annual celebration with spectacular ice sculptures, rocking entertainment, and great family fun!
1. Embrace Indigenous culture.
Immerse yourself in the culture of First Nations people, enjoy drumming, dancing and food as you are treated to seven styles of dance with full regalia and more!
Winter Powwow on Sunday, February 3, 2019 | 12:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Grand Entry: 12 Noon
Closing Begins: 4:30pm) @ Canadian Museum of History, Gatineau.
2. Join for first ever WinterPride!
Put on your finest rainbow attire and brave the cold as waves of diversity, pride and solidarity unfold over Canada’s Capital Region! Capital Tease Burlesque and DJs will sizzle alongside Mado as the Capital Pride stage shines brightly in the winter night!
February 6 – 10, 2019 @ Sparks Street.
3. Celebrate the warmth and the chill of the winter season with Fire & Ice Festival
Join Downtown Bank Street B.I.A. for this free festival, taking place between Wellington and Catherine St. with over 400 businesses to visit – shop, tour and eat.
Friday and Saturday, February 8 and 9, 11 am to 11 pm @ Bank Street
4. Admire dazzling masterpieces displaying a fusion of art, ice, and light at the Crystal Garden.
Comeback at night to witness breathtaking and mystical sight when the sculptures are lit with special lighting.
February 1 to 10 and 13 to 18 @ ByWard Market.
Crystal Garden International Ice-Carving Competition: Friday and Saturday, February 1 and 2, 9 am to 10:30 pm, and Sunday, February 3, 9 am to 12 pm @ ByWard Market
5. Be a child at Snowflake Kingdom.
Zoom down the tube slides, take a selfie amongst gigantic snow sculptures or with the ice hog family and more!
February 1 to 18 @ Jacques-Cartier Park, Gatineau
View this post on Instagram
Les glamottes se sont rendues au Domaine des flocons pour inspecter le nouveau site! Elles nous informent que les préparations vont bon train! #JaimeMONBaldeNeige #BaldeNeige /// The Ice Hogs stopped by the new Snowflake Kingdom today! They reported that things are moving along nicely! #Winterlude #ILoveMYWinterlude
6. Discover the hidden culinary gems of the ByWard Market
C’est Bon Cooking guide will help you take the chill off with soothing hot drinks and comfort foods.
From February 1 to 18, runs daily at 2 pm | $58 + tax per person. @ 208 Dalhousie, Ottawa
or Take a frozen road trip across Europe
30-block ice sculpture featuring everyday objects emblematic of EU Member States. Come explore Europe’s diverse and rich cultures by talking a close look at these “frozen in time” symbols in a new light, through a different lens. At the end of Winterlude or depending of Mother Nature’s mood swings, visitors will also have the chance to “dig out” the objects and keep them as keepsakes.
From February 1 to 18 @ Byward Market
7. See a movie on a theatre made of snow.
Enjoy Unikkaaqtuarniq: Stories from the North, an outdoor screening highlighting Indigenous filmmaking from the Arctic.
Friday, Saturday and Sunday, February 1, 2 and 3, 2019 | 6 pm to 9 pm @ Aberdeen Square, Lansdowne Park
8. Join for ice sculpting demonstration depicting Métis cultural symbols.
Saturday, February 9, between 11 am and 4 pm @ Bytown Museum
9. Tipple at Gatineau Winter Beerfest 2019
Friday and Saturday, February 1 and 2, 5 pm to 1 am @ Canadian Museum of History
10. Experience electrifying music from Canadian artists during Sub-Zero Electro DJ Nights presented by the Rideau Carleton Casino.
Fridays and Saturdays, February 2, 8, 9, 15 and 16, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. (except Friday, February 1 until 10:30 p.m.) @ ByWard Market
11. See ice dragon boats racing down the frozen Rideau Canal Skateway.
This year’s Ottawa Ice Dragon Boat Festival will host the 2019 IIDBF World Club Crew Ice Dragon Boat Championships.
There will also be free concerts from Bedouin Soundclash (8th) and Dear Rouge (9th) inside Dows Lake Pavilion. They will be headlining a fantastic lineup of free concerts, featuring some of Ottawa’s best talent including favourites Jacquie Neville (8th) and Jeremy Fisher (9th).
View this post on Instagram
Imagine… Chinese drums setting the pace, ice pics instead of paddles and skates under dragon boats! Don’t miss this unique sporting event, only at #Winterlude! #ILoveMYWinterlude /// Imaginez… Des tambours chinois donnent la cadence, des pics à glace remplacent les pagaies et sous les bateaux dragons, des lames de patins! Ne ratez pas ce spectacle sportif unique au monde, au #BaldeNeige! #JaimeMONBaldeNeige @ottawaicedragonboatfestival
February 8 & 9, 2019 @ Dows Lake – Rideau Canal Skateway.
12. Jive with Ottawa Winter Jazz Fest featuring a diverse lineup of world renowned players in the Jazz music scene!
Thursday, February 07 to Saturday, February 9, 2019 @ La Nouvelle Scène
13. Join hundreds of winter enthusiasts and participate in Winterlude Triathlon 2019.
Saturday, February 2, 2019 | 8:00 am to 12:00 pm @ Rideau Canal Skateway, Dows Lake
14. Test your aim at Sparks Street Ice-Cade.
Enjoy a warm beverage as you lounge, toss, throw, or shuffle at Sparks Street Ice-Cade.
Friday and Saturday, February 8, 9, 15 and 16, 12 pm to 6 pm, Sunday, February 10 and 17, and Monday, February 18, 12 pm to 5 pm @ Sparks Street
15. Cheer as servers race around tables during the ByWard Market Server Games.
Sunday, February 10, 2019 | 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm on Clarence Street between William and Dalhousie.
16. Discover a wide range of Ontario and Quebec craft beers and sample delicious gourmet food during Winter Brewfest.
Friday, February 15, 6 pm to 1 am and Saturday, February 16, 12 pm to 6 pm and 7 pm to 1 am @ Lansdowne Park, Aberdeen Pavilion, 1000 Exhibition Way, Ottawa
17. Support Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation while enjoying a night of fashion, food, fun during Capital Catwalk
Saturday, February 2, 2019 | 6:30 pm to 10:00 pm @ Lansdowne Park, Ottawa
18. Join for Winterlude Wanderlust Scavenger Hunt
This exciting and prize-filled scavenger hunt that runs through the Winterlude’s festival grounds.
February 1 to 17, 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. and February 18, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. @ Byward Market
19. Indulge in a taste of Indigenous cuisine
Discover traditional foods prepared by Algonquin Chef Whitney Whiteduck.
Saturday and Sunday, February 16 and 17, and Monday, February 18, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @ Maison Charron, Jacques-Cartier Park
20. Discover why Glebe is the snowman capital of planet earth!
February 1 to 18 @ The Glebe
21. Explore SJAM Winter Trail or Skate along Rideau Canal Skateway.
Gather round your friends or enjoy a date and explore 30 kilometres of groomed trails that can be accessed anywhere between the Canadian War Museum and Westboro Beach. OR skate the 7.8 kilometers Rideau Canal Skateway stretching from the downtown Ottawa to Hartwells Locks.
22. Cheer the costumed teams race decorated hospital beds across the York Street during Annual Accora Village Bed Race
View this post on Instagram
One of #Winterlude’s highlights, the Accora Village Bed Race for Kiwanis is happening Saturday at Dows Lake. Get ready, it’s quite the ride! #ILoveMYWinterlude /// Un classique du #BaldeNeige, la Course de lits Accora au profit du Club Kiwanis, a lieu samedi au lac Dows. Préparez-vous à en voir de toutes les couleurs! #JaimeMONBaldeNeige
Saturday, February 16, 12:30 p.m. (Parade of beds) and 1 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. (Race) @ York Street, ByWard Market.
23. Zip line over Snowflake Kingdom
Saturdays, 10 am to 6 pm, Sundays, 10 am to 5 pm, and Monday, February 18, 10 am to 5 pm @ Jacques-Cartier Park
24. Ring Interactive Light & Sound Installation- Chimes
Chimes comprises of more than 30 illuminated tubes and eight loudspeakers, when activated triggers a transformation of the space through sound and light.
February 1 to 17, 8 am to 11 pm and on Monday, February 18, 8 am to 5 pm @ ByWard Market
25. Have a gala time during BIG BANG Festival!
The festival features a performance by the NAC Orchestra, three virtuoso jazz musicians in an interactive and youthful take on Miles Davis, a dynamic marching band, a journey through all kinds of weird sound machines, and many other surprises.
February 17 to 18, 2019 @ NAC
When & Where: February 1 to 18, 2019 @ Various Locations, Ottawa & Gatineau.
Paid Parking: Bronson Avenue, Dows Lake, Jacques-Cartier Park, National Arts Centre (NAC), Rideau Centre, World Exchange Plaza, Ottawa City Hall