Things to Do in and around Edmonton this Thanksgiving weekend from October 11 to 14, 2019 including:
— Halloween events,
— family fun events,
— Performing Arts
— Festivals, expos, and more
— Thanksgiving brunch, dinner and feasts to go!
You may like:
I. Halloween Events this Weekend
Bigger, scarier, and darker, you can never be sure what’s lurking in the darkness at Fort Edmonton Park deep in the river valley. Your adrenaline will be pumping as you’re sent into a deep state of terror unlike anything you’ve felt before. Do you have what it takes to survive the DARK? Details
Thursday October 10 to Friday November 1, 2019
Fort Edmonton Park , 7000 143 St NW, Edmonton
Deadmonton Haunted House
Deadmonton House is the first of its kind, haunted house located in downtown Edmonton.
2019 Theme: NEW DARK AGES
It seems like ages ago since the scientists of the Draugr Institute and their rogue military contractors sealed the doors of the quarantine facility. In an attempt to ensure that a fraction of humanity could be spared from the unpredictable, contagious and fatal virus, the facility entered a strict lockdown and grew quiet … until now. Details
September 27th to November 3rd, 2019
7031 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton
$28.00 & up
FESTIVAL OF FEAR International Film Festival
Film Festival’s Genres, include, Horror Films, Thriller, Sci-Fi, Action, Cult, Fantastic, and much more.
Over 50 New Horror & Thriller Movies, that are still Playing Film Festivals around the World. 8 Feature Length Films. (Including World Premieres) The Red Carpet will be Open for the Duration of the Film Festival. (Take as many pictures as you would like)
October 11 to 13th, 2019
Princess Theatre 10337 Whyte Ave, Edmonton
$16.95 & up
Dead Centre of Town XII
Some people lived here. Many people died here. Not everyone moved on…and those left behind are desperate to tell you their story.
Edmonton’s only live-action thriller inspired by true history possesses Mellon Farm for an intimate and immersive theatrical retelling of some of Edmonton’s long-buried secrets. Secrets that can’t stay buried forever.
October 13 to 29, 2019
Fort Edmonton Park, 7000 143 Street, Edmonton
CREATING THE PARANORMAL: An Evening of Evidence, History, & Spirits
This evening adventure is all about separating reality from fantasy in the paranormal field and letting our audience participate in the entire thing! Find out how the “psychics” do what they do by learning their tricks, have fun with mindbending experiments, learn about mind over matter, and how genuine paranormal activity gets separated from it all! Details
October 12 | 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
MKT Beer Market, 8101 Gateway Blvd, Edmonton
Haunted Pumpkin Festival
An autumn outing to the pumpkin patch and this charming month-long Halloween festival is an annual tradition. Enjoy a family friendly haunted house, hayrides, corn mazes, pumpkin patches (both outdoors and indoors), pumpkin foods, caramel apples and more! Details
September 28 to October 28, 2019
Prairie Gardens, 56311 Lily Lake Road, Bon Accord
$13.65 & up
II. Family Events & Activities
Saturday Mornings are for KIDS at Spotlight!
This brunch show will feature, magicians, jugglers and a comedy play for kids by Gemini-Nominated Comedy writer Aimee Beaudoin and Autistic comedian Adam Schwartz.
October 12th, 19th and 26th | 11:00 AM
Spotlight Cabaret, 8217 104 street, Edmonton
$35-$40 includes Brunch
Gateway to the Stars
Let Elk Island National Park staff be your guide as you experience the wonder of the night sky above: Sign-up to view the countless stars in our galaxy and learn to navigate from one constellation to the next. Campfire, hot chocolate, s’mores and a friendly park interpreter are included.
October 5, 12, 19 | 9:00 PM. to 10:00 PM
Elk Island National Park, Range Rd 203, Fort Saskatchewan
Sensory Friendly Screenings
The quality of the film is intact, theater light levels are brighter and volume is turned down.
You are welcome to come and go as you wish throughout the performance.
The Purple Pear will be open for concession snacks.
Saturday October 12, 2019 | 10:00 A.M.
TELUS World of Science Edmonton, 11211 142 St NW, Edmonton
Harry Potter: The Early Years
Come for all three films, a lesson at Hogwarts, and all the extras! There will also be displays and activities in the lobby, and a whole Hogwarts worth of great people. Come as your favourite character, or just come as you are.
Monday, October 14, 2019 | 12:00 PM to 09:00 PM
Metro Cinema, 109 Street Northwest, Edmonton
$8 to $24
Edmonton Attractions Thanksgiving Weekend Hours
Places like laser tags, escape rooms , trampoline parks and other arcades are open on Monday.
Please verify before you go.
- Art Gallery of Alberta: Friday through Sunday | 11am–5pm; Closed on Monday
- Edmonton Zoo: Saturday & Sunday | 9am-5pm; Monday | 10am-4pm
- Royal Alberta Museum: 10 am – 5 pm, open on Thanksgiving Monday
- Telus World of Science: Sunday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.; Friday – Saturday: 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Edmonton Corn Maze: Thanksgiving Monday: 10 am – 5 pm; Friday – Saturday: 10 am – 9 pm
Sunday: 1 pm – 5 pm
- Galaxy Land: Friday: Noon to 7 p.m.; Saturday: 10 a.m. to 9 p.m; Sunday: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m, Monday: 11 a.m. to 6 p.m..
- World WaterPark: Friday: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Saturday: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.; Sunday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.: Monday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sea Life Caverns: Friday to Monday: 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.;
- John Janzen Nature Centre: Saturday & Sunday: 9am-4pm & Monday: 11am-4pm
- Alberta Legislature Building: Weekends and holidays: noon to 5 p.m.
- Alberta Aviation Museum: Friday: 10am to 4pm; Saturday to Monday: 10am to 5pm
- Rutherford House Provincial Historic Site: Friday to Sunday: Noon – 5 p.m; Closed on Monday
You may like:
More To Do
III. Live Music & Concerts
Weekday Concerts, EDM & Concert Tours
- One Night With You, starring Dean Z, Ultimate Elvis on Tuesday, October 08, 2019 | 7:30pm – 9:30pm @ The Arden Theatre
- BANNΞRS on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ The Starlite Room
- The Once on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Festival Place
- Lord Huron on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
- Tegan and Sara on Wednesday, October 09, 2019 | 8:00 PM @Myer Horowitz Theatre
- Nights In The Gardens Of Spain on Thursday October 10, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Winspear Centre
- Michael Bernard Fitzgerald on Thursday October 10, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Festival Place
- Shinedown – ATTENTION ATTENTION World Tour on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 5:30 PM @ Edmonton Convention Centre
- Killer Dwarfs And Kick Axe on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Century Casino
- Bijou on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ The Chvrch Of John
- Blackout on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ Union Hall
- The Yardbird Suite All-Stars Celebrate Art Blakey’s 100TH Birthday on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Yardbird Suite
- The Sojourners on Friday October 11, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Festival Place
- Martin Simpson on Friday October 11, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Festival Place
- Luke Combs: Beer Never Broke My Heart Tour on Friday, October 11, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ Rogers Place
- The Long Run: Canada’s Salute To The Eagles On Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Century Casino
- Eli & Fur on Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ The Chvrch Of John
- Spag Heddy on Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ Union Hall
- Amos Hoffman & Noam Lemish Quartet on Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Yardbird Suite
- Roman Clarke on Saturday October 12, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Festival Place
- Clayton Bellamy & the Congregation on Saturday October 12, 2019 | 7:30 PM@ Festival Place
- Flavour, Diamond, Rayvanny on Sunday, October 13, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ Union Hall
Up + Downtown Music Festival
The Up and Downtown Music Festival (UP+DT) is entering its seventh festival year with a one night banger to pay tribute to the past, and celebrate the future of the fall festival. Confirmed artists for the 2019 Show include psych-pop Edmonton ex-pat Michael Rault, surf-psych rockers The Velveteins, hazy garage foursome Dead Friends, and emerging local female alt-rock trio Desert Rose.
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 8:00 PM
Freemason’s Hall, 10318 100 Avenue, Edmonton
$15 to $20
Dia de Los Muertos Celebration
Tremoloco are bringing a special acoustic Tex Mex, Roots Rockin’, Mexican Folk, Gulf Coast, California Country show coming your way. We are looking to laugh, tell stories and examine the history of the varied regions and styles of the music and musicians that inform and influence us.
Saturday October 12, 2019 | 8:00 PM
The Blue Chair, 9624 76 Ave Edmonton
Mesmerica 360: A Visual Music Journey
Mesmerica is a visual music journey that brings the mesmerizing music of Grammy-nominated composer and percussionist, James Hood together with visually-hypnotic, 3D animated art curated from artists around the world to create an immersive experience designed to transcend time, relax, soothe, and also stimulate your mind and senses…
October 11 to 13, 2019
TELUS World of Science, 142 Street Northwest, Edmonton
$15 to $47
You may like:
Live Music & Concerts in Edmonton
IV. Theatre & Performing Arts
You may like:
- Live Theatre in Edmonton
- World of Dance Live Tour on Tuesday, October 08, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
The Commonwealth Comedy Tour Too
Featuring Lars Callieou (The Comedy Network, Comedy Now), Liam Withnail (International Headliner), Rob Pepper (Virgin Radio Host), Jeff Halaby and Aimee Beaudoin (Caution: May Contain Nuts)! This Top Level comedy show is sure to make you bust a gut inside Spotlight Cabaret’s gorgeous new space.
October 10 to 12, 2019
Spotlight Cabaret, 8217 104 street, Edmonton
The true story of 19th-century astronomer Henrietta Leavitt, Silent Sky explores a woman’s place in society during a time of immense scientific discoveries, when women’s ideas were dismissed until men claimed credit for them.
October 2 to 12, 2019
Walterdale Theatre, 10322 83 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton
$18 to $20
By Teatro La Quindicina. It’s a sleek chic close to the season as we revisit this vivacious contemporary spin on the classic screwball form, last performed by Teatro in 2002. Haberdashery, industrial espionage, and the finest of onions… All figure prominently in this ricochet romp, which ratchets things up further with three identical briefcases and a scintillating cast led by Belinda Cornish and Andrew MacDonald‑Smith.
September 26- October 12, 2019
Varscona Theatre, 10329 83 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton
$25 to $42
Open Invitation: a comedy in one act
Becky is an exhausted mom and her husband Sebastian is a man trapped in a soul killing day job. It’s date night and they are going to attend a “snobby” dinner party at the home of one of Becky’s old high school show-choir friends. Some of the guests she’s known for over 20 years, some she hasn’t seen since high school. Sebastian doesn’t want to go and is convinced that the dinner’s hosts are swingers and just looking for a “hook-up”…and he’s going to prove it!
October 3 to 12, 2019
The Backstage Theatre, 10330 – 84 Ave. NW Edmonton
$24 – $30
Ralph Escamillan: HINKYPUNK
BWDC’c 41st Season of creating, performing and presenting contemporary dance in Edmonton.
HINKYPUNK is a 50-minute solo dance work that is based on the notion of how identity is conflated with iconography and pop culture.
October 11 & 12, 2019 | 8:00 PM
Allard Hall, 11110 104 Ave NW, Edmonton
$25 to $40
Shakespeare’s most notorious play is here reimagined for our fractious times. In a world much like our own, a fragile society falls to a ruthless demagogue. This visceral, ensemble production examines how dictators manipulate our fears to acquire and retain power.
October 11 – 19, 2019
Timms Centre for the Arts, 112 Street Northwest, Edmonton
$5 to $25
The Color Purple
An unforgettable story of hope and the healing power of love.
This Tony and Grammy Award winning musical is an epic tale spanning 40 years in the life of Celie, an African-American woman struggling against poverty, abuse, and prejudice in the American South of the 1930s.
September 21 – October 13, 2019
Citadel Theatre, 9828 101 A Avenue, Edmonton
$34.65 to $123.90
Trace by Red Sky Performance
To be traceable, you must have an origin. Trace, by Red Sky Performance, is a cutting-edge new dance and music production that explores Indigenous connections to ancestral origins and all things traceable to the very beginnings of the universe.
Friday, October 11, 2019 | 7:30 PM
The Arden Theatre, 5 St. Anne Street, St. Albert
Million Dollar Quartet
On December 4, 1956, a twist of fate brought Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins and Elvis Presley together at Sun Records in Memphis, Tennessee. The foursome held an impromptu jam session and producer Sam Phillips, knowing he was witnessing a once-in-a-lifetime event, had the session captured on camera by the local newspaper. Details
September 3 – October 27, 2019
Mayfield Dinner Theatre, 16615, 109 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton
$94 to $119
Best of Friends – The Long Lost Episode
Jubilations Dinner Theater presents Best of Friends: The Long Lost Episode. Featuring uproarious laughter, and the greatest hits of the “Friends” era, performed by some of Canada’s best singers. Details
August 17 to October 27, 2019
Jubilations Dinner Theatre, 170 Street Northwest, Edmonton
$38.95 to $75.95
IV. Sports & Related Events
- FC Edmonton vs. Forge FC on Wednesday, October 02, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ Clarke Stadium
- Edmonton Oilers vs. Vancouver Canucks on Wednesday, October 02, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Rogers Place
vs. BC Lions
Halftime will feature an amateur football showcase with local teams playing mini-games on The Brick Field.
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 5:00 PM
Commonwealth Stadium, 11000 Stadium Rd., Edmonton
Edmonton Oil Kings
vs. Calgary Hitmen
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 7:00 PM
Rogers Place, 10220 – 104 Avenue, Edmonton
Edmonton Oil Kings
vs. Portland Winterhawks
Sunday, October 13, 2019 | 4:00 PM
Rogers Place, 10220 – 104 Avenue, Edmonton
Muscle Beach Fall Classic
Men’s & Women’s Bodybuilding, Figure, Women’s Physique, Bikini, Fitness and Men’s Physique
Saturday, October 12, 2019
Winspear Centre, Edmonton
St. Albert Turkey Ring Tournament
October 11 to 14, 2019
Servus Credit Union Place
V. Exhibitions, Festivals & Other Events
More To Do
Alberta Vacation Ideas & Itineraries
The Edmonton Fall Rock n’ Gem Show
With over 41,000 KILOS of hand selected pieces, you are sure to follow in Mother Natures footsteps this October. Brazil, Bulgaria, Morocco, Uruguay, Canada, and so many other fantastic destinations are represented at this family friendly event. Majestic amethyst angel wings, Lemurian quartz clusters, citrine cathedrals, agate mantle slabs, and one-of-a-kind pieces that only Mother Nature herself could provide… You will find it all!
October 10 to 13, 2019
Alberta Aviation Museum, 11410 Kingsway Northwest, Edmonton
You may like:
- Innovations in Practice Conference 2019 on October 9 & 10, 2019 @ Edmonton Inn & Convention Centre
- Holiday Spending Treadmill | Free In-Person Financial Class on Wednesday October 9, 2019 | 6:30pm – 7:30pm @ Sandman Inn West Edmonton
- Denim for Developmental Disabilities Buffet Dinner Fundraiser on Thursday October 10, 2019 | 5:30 PM @ Edmonton Inn & Convention Centre
- 250 Years Alexander von Humboldt: Film Screening and Lecture with Dr. Sandra Rebok on Thursday, October 10, 2019 | 11:00 a.m. – 2 p.m. @ Telus International Centre (TEL), 85 Avenue Northwest, Edmonton
Diwali Bazaar will showcase Indian culture where stalls of pottery, home décor, sweets, Pooja (prayer) material, fashion, jewelry, henna painting etc. will help people enjoy the spirit of festival and go on a little shopping spree.
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 11 AM. – 5:30 P.M.
Mill Woods Town Centre, Edmonton
Edible and Medicinal Gardening Lecture
Ukrainian settlers brought with them a wide range of traditional knowledge and practices, allowing them to settle the land, survive, and prosper on the Prairies. Join author Michael Mucz at ACUA to learn and discuss the diversity of garden plants and products used in not only, common everyday health concerns but also in the maintenance of good health. The knowledge and practices of the Ukrainian settlers has allowed us the opportunity to safely, effectively and economically incorporate garden plants and products into our own daily living.
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 11:00 AM-1:00 PM
Acua, 9534 87 St NW, Edmonton
Fireside Ghost Experience
Come immerse yourself in true ghost stories and historical experience around our travelling campfire, all while enjoying the luxuries of a limousine and the adventure of visiting some of Edmonton’s most frightening haunts!
October 5 & 11, 2019 | 7:00 PM – 10:00 PM
MKT Beer Market, 8101 Gateway Boulevard, Edmonton
The Edmonton Downtown Farmers Market will be moving into its new year-round home this Thanksgiving weekend and we’re planning a housewarming (soft opening) celebration. There will be tons of prizes, giveaways, and other fun.
Saturday, October 12, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 2:00 PM
10305 97 St NW Edmonton
Virtual Reality Escape Room
Take your escape room to the next level with Laser City’s VR Escape Rooms!
Your group of 2 – 4 players can choose from 3 different adventures for your wireless VR experience.
Through December 31, 2019
Laser City Edmonton
5104 67 Ave NW
$29.99 per player
Art EXHIBITIONS & Other Events
Sobey Art Award Exhibition
Widely recognized as the pre-eminent prize for Canadian artists 40 and under, the Sobey Art Award continues to attract national and international attention. Presented annually, the prize celebrates some of this country’s most exciting young artists — most of whom go on to artistic careers of considerable renown — while also providing significant financial recognition.
Saturday October 5, 2019 to Sunday January 5, 2020 @ Art Gallery of Alberta, 2 Sir Winston Churchill Sq, Edmonton
Invisible by PAINTER8
INVISIBLE is a group exhibition created by artists of PAINTER8, a non-profit arts organization that uniquely holds painting as its primary medium.
September 26th, 2019 to January 11th, 2020. @ Galerie Cite @ La Cité Francophone
ISUMA: One Day in the Life of Noah Piugattuk
From May 10 to November 24, 2019, the Canada Pavilion of the 58th Venice Biennale will feature the work of the Inuit film collective ISUMA led by Zacharias Kunuk. The installation features Isuma’s newest film, One Day in the Life of Noah Piugattuk, which recreates an encounter on Baffin Island in 1961 when Inuit life on the land changed forever.
Saturday September 7 to Sunday November 24, 2019 @ Art Gallery of Alberta, 2 Sir Winston Churchill Sq, Edmonton
Lisa Lipton: Soon All Your Memories Will Be With Me
Part of the RBC New Works Gallery, Soon All Your Memories Will Be With Me is Lisa Lipton’s latest exploration into Cordwainer Bird’s 1973 Canadian-produced science fiction series The Starlost. In this iteration, the artist has created a new section aboard the spaceship Ultimo – a place for transcendence and deep contemplation. Included in the installation is a central light sculpture, which displays the movement of abstract lumia patterns.
Saturday July 20 to Sunday October 20, 2019 @ Art Gallery of Alberta, 2 Sir Winston Churchill Sq, Edmonton
Processor: Digital and Analogue Retranslations
Processor explores translations and negotiations between analogue and digital. Melding these two realms in various and novel ways, the artists in this exhibition use these translations and retranslations as metaphor for various things, including Indigenous sovereignty, living with mental illness, reworking histories, immigration, addressing stereotypes and the ethics of data collection.
Saturday July 20 to Sunday October 20, 2019 @ Art Gallery of Alberta
The exhibition, Re:Calculations, features a selection of recent acquisitions of contemporary art, added to the AGA’s collection over the last few years. While many of the works appear to be fully non-representational or non-figurative, they draw from or make reference to concrete, often industrial, things: circuitry patterns, floor tiles, tables, masking tape, sheets of sandpaper and the contours of the human body.
Saturday August 31, 2019 to Sunday March 15, 2020 @ Art Gallery of Alberta
VI. Thanksgiving Dinner/Brunch
- Thanksgiving Dinner To Go – Edmonton EXPO Centre: Enjoy a Thanksgiving Dinner To Go with all the trimmings expertly prepared by Executive Chef Jiju Paul and the Edmonton EXPO Centre culinary team. Feed 10-12 people for just $180+tax! To order in time for Thanksgiving, orders must be placed by Thursday, October 10 at 11:59pm. Pick up dates are October 12 and 13 at 12pm OR 5pm. Details
- Turkey Dinner to Go – Fairmont MacDonald: $500. Serves 6-8 people. Pick-up and delivery options available. Orders must be placed 7 days prior by calling the hotel directly at 780 429 6495.
- Prime Rib Dinner to Go – Fairmont MacDonald: $550. Serves 6-8 people. Pick-up and delivery options available. Orders must be placed 7 days prior by calling the hotel directly at 780 429 6495.
- Thanksgiving Dinner – The Harvest Room, Fairmont MacDonald: October 12 – 14, 2019 | 5:30pm – 9:00pm | $89 per person | 4 courses – Reserve Online
- Thanksgiving Brunch Buffet – Empire Ballroom, Fairmont MacDonald: October 13, 2019 | 10:00am – 2:30pm | Price: Adult $69 | Senior $59 | Kids 6-12 $34.50 – Details
- Open Table Listings
- Sunday Brunch at Chateau Lacombe Hotel – Sunday 10:30am – 2:00pm — Adult – $45.00
Senior – $40.00 (65 years & over), Child – $20.00 (5-12 years) – Book Online
- Thanksgiving Sunday Brunch — Sawridge Edmonton South- Creations Dining Room & Lounge on Sunday October 13 | 11 AM – 2:30 PM – Adults $36 | Seniors $31 | Youth 6-12 $18 – Details
- Thanksgiving Sunday Buffet Dinner — Sawridge Edmonton South- Creations Dining Room & Lounge on Sunday October 13 | 5 PM – 8:30 PM – Adults $32 | Seniors $28 | Youth 6-12 $16 – Details
- Thanksgiving Sunday Brunch at the Royal Glenora Club –– Sunday, October 13 | Adults | $44.95, Seniors | $40.95, Children | $20.95, Kids under 5 | Free – Details
- Four Points By Sheraton – Details
- High Level Diner
- Earls – Various Locations
- Blue Plate Diner – Details
- Stages Kitchen at DoubleTree Hotel – Details
- Edmonton Craft Beer Market – Details
You may like: