Family members of all ages are invited for this trip down memory lane, featuring Tafelmusik’s baroque flair alongside folk favourites by Joni Mitchell and Simon and Garfunkel.
It’s 1730s Leipzig, Germany. J.S. Bach and his colleagues gather at Zimmerman’s coffee house for weekly concerts featuring the new music of the day. Fast forward to Toronto in the 1960s. Yorkville (now known as the ‘Mink Mile’) is a hub of subversion and anti-establishment activism. Undiscovered artists are making their breaks and international acts have come to sling it in underground dives and coffee houses. Legends of this counterculture scene pepper music collections across the world.
First performed live for a sold-out crowd in fall 2019, Café Counterculture returns this spring as a stunning new filmed concert, complete with two brand new arrangements by co-creator Andrew Downing. Family members of all ages will love this trip down memory lane, featuring Tafelmusik’s baroque flair and artistry alongside folk favourites from Yorkville’s colourful past. Sonatas by Bach and friends are interspersed with arrangements of iconic songs by Buffy Sainte-Marie, Joni Mitchell, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Young, and others.
Single ticket buyers are able to access the concert for 4 days from the original broadcast time.
Elisa Citterio, violin
Marco Cera, oboe
Dominic Teresi, bassoon
Charlotte Nediger, harpsichord
with special guests,
Alex Samaras, vocalist
Andrew Downing, double bass/arranger
• Telemann — Adagio (from Quartetto for oboe, violin, bassoon & continuo in D Minor)
• Gordon Lightfoot — This Is My Song
• Bach / Paul Simon — Chorale BWV 727 / American Tune
• Bach — Prelude in C Major for solo harpsichord, BWV 933
• Joni Mitchell — Both Sides Now
• Vivaldi — Allegro (from Sonata for violin, bassoon & continuo in C Minor, RV 83)
• Buffy Sainte-Marie — Winter boy
• Bach — Air (from Orchestral Suite no. 3)
• Simon & Garfunkel — Scarborough Fair
• Telemann / Neil Young — Largo (from Ouverture in B-flat Major) / Old Man
• Heinichen — Presto (from Sonata for oboe, violin & continuo in C Minor)
• Ian & Sylvia — Four Strong Winds
Who is it for?
Tickets : $10
Service fees will apply
How to get tickets?
WHEN & WHERE
Date: Thursday April 29, 2021 to Monday May 3, 2021
Stream is available to watch from Thursday, April 29, 2021 at 8pm EDT to Monday, May 3, 2021 at 7:59pm EDT
Approximately 1 hour
Venue & Address
Tafelmusik Digital Concert Hall (Online), 427 Bloor St. West