City of Calgary will be celebrating 2020 Canada day virtually this year.
On July 1st we invite Calgarians to watch the premiere of our virtual Canada Day concert featuring Canadian country music star and humanitarian Paul Brandt with local musicians neo-soul singer Lynn Olagundoye, Alberta roots singer-songwriter T Buckley, indie folk-rocker Chad Van Gaalen, and Metis/Cree blues-rock artist Bebe Buckskin.
The virtual concert, which was filmed at Studio Bell, Home of the National Music Centre (NMC), and produced by local talent, will air on The City of Calgary’s YouTube and Facebook pages starting at 5 p.m. on Canada Day.
In addition to our virtual Calgary concert, our city was selected to be included in a one-hour national show, Canada Day Across the Country,at 1 p.m. on CBC and Canadian Heritage’s social media platforms. Calgary’s five-minute segment will feature Paul Brandt, showcasing our city and sharing our national pride.
In addition to watching amazing performances, citizens are invited to celebrate at home by:
- Dressing in red and white, including wearing your favorite Calgary team jersey and painting your face
- Putting up your Christmas or outdoor lights and be sure they are on at 10 p.m. (sunset) to join the Calgary Tower in lighting up our city
- Decorating your house, yard or balcony in red and white, displaying your Canada flag, and showing off your Canada-inspired family crafts
- Having a pancake breakfast with your family and wearing your cowboy hats!
- Sharing with us by posting your at-home celebrations using #OCanadaYYC on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and TikTok and connecting across the country using #CanadaDay
- Checking out the Celebration Kit from The Government of Canada’s website Canada.ca/CanadaDay for creative and educational activities for the whole family
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, this year Canada Day does not include any outdoor events or activities, such as live fireworks, but we can still show our Canadian spirit as we celebrate online or at home, in our yards or balconies. We may be apart physically, but we can still celebrate together.
Calgary’s Canada Day celebrations are a result of support from the Government of Canada, CBC Calgary and Tim Hortons.
Who is it for?
WHEN & WHERE
Date & Time:
Wednesday, July 1, 2020 | 5:00 – 11:00 PM
Musical performances by Calgary artists:
- Paul Brandt
- Lynn Olagundoye
- T Buckley
- Chad VanGaalen
- Bebe Buckskin