Floating lantern ceremonies are held every year in Japan and around the world to commemorate those who died and take a stand for peace.
Calgary’s sixth annual Floating Lantern Ceremony will be held in tandem with events in many of the 7,568 cities in the 163 regions worldwide who have joined Mayors for Peace.
Last year, over 2,000 people came to remember those impacted by atomic bombings and wars that continue to rage. The program will include musical performances and speakers, after which everyone will be invited to launch a rented lantern.
- Calgary musicians on the main stage
- Multicultural children’s and youth choirs
- Youth speaker
- Keynote speech by The Very Reverend Dr. Bill Phipps
- Greetings of peace from the mayors of cities around the world
- Write your message of peace on a lantern, light it and float it on the pool
Who is it for?
Tickets :Attendance is free, lanterns are available for rent by donation online or at the event
How to get tickets?
At the door: Lanterns will be available for rent
WHEN & WHERE
Date & Time: Saturday, August 3, 2019 | 8:00 PM – 9:30 PM
Venue: Olympic Plaza, 228 8 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2P 2M5
Public transport accessible