The Calgary Downtown Association (CDA) presents the third edition of GLOW – Downtown Winter Light Festival over the Family Day long weekend.
Embrace winter and get outdoors with GLOW. Enjoy quality time with loved ones in the crisp February night, and stay warm with delicious food, cozy drinks, and fun activities for all ages. Vote for your favourite ice carver and take a ride down the ice slide, then end the night with a drink at the Ice Lounge and take in the live music.
GLOW looks to fill in the darkness during our typically coldest and most challenging month of the year with this free, family-friendly festival.
2020 Festival Highlights
- ICE SLIDE: If you love waterslides, then get ready for the Ice Slide! Hand carved and illuminated, the ice slide is both a work of art and fun for the whole family.
- BATL AXE THROWING: Show off your skills with BATL Axe Throwing. It takes both strength and aim to win bragging rights for the most bullseyes. Will you be the champion?
- ICE SCULPTURES: Enjoy the sparkling beauty of ice sculptures all along Stephen Ave and vote on your favourite ice carvers as they uncover works of art from the ice right before your eyes.
- LIVE MUSIC: World-renowned musical act Earth Harp Symphony will be live on Stephen Ave for GLOW! Experience the once-in-a-lifetime performance, plus 35 musical artists across three stages.
- ICE LOUNGES: Metropolitan, Local, and The Guild are opening outdoor Ice Patios and Milestones will be operating a beer garden in Stephen Ave.
- OTHER ACTIVITIES: Show off your creative side with the Live Drawing Project, enjoy a sweet maple treat at the Sugar Shack, and get cozy with a visit to the warming zones and bonfire.
Who is it for?
All ages – Family
WHEN & WHERE
Date & Time:
February 14 to February 16, 2020
Friday, February 14 | 4:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Artists include: Kline, Bruno, Liz Stevens, The Ashley Hundred, The Royal Foundary , The Harpoonist and the Axe Murderer , Abbie Thurgood, Krystle Robyn, Tori Rosso, Anthony Kameka, Connor Mead, Colton O’Reilly, RE:ME, William Close & The Earth Harp Collective, Blvd Noir, William Close.
Saturday, February 15 | 4:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Artists include: Kinfolk Deejays, Kodae, Jesse Roper , The Static Shift, Shred Kelly, Michael Bernard Fitzgerald, Bobby Henderson, Heidi Schanklies, Jared Daniel , Ann Taylor, Mitch Belot , Jesse Aaron Shire, Kimleestar, William Close & The Earth Harp Collective, Blvd Noir
Sunday, February 16 | 4:00 PM – 7:00 PM
- Artists include: Joash Charles, Neon Dreams, Tyler Shaw , Wyatt C. Louis, Curtis Bowman, RE:ME, William Close & The Earth Harp Collective
Venue & Address :
8th Ave, Stephen Avenue Walk from 3rd St SW to 1st St SE in downtown Calgary.
- Main Stage — 100E Block – Centre St To 1st Street SE
- Acoustic Stage — 100W Block – 1st St SW To Centre St
- Earth Harp Stage — 300W Block, 3rd Street SW To 2nd Street SW
Installations at Various places
Ice Carving: 100W Block – 1st St SW To Centre St
FREE/Paid Parking/Street Parking
Lot 7 at 208-9 Avenue SW will have FREE parking from 4 p.m. to 10 a.m. the following morning during each of the three days of the GLOW Winter Festival. Bankers Hall, The CORE Shopping Centre and Holt Renfrew will also offer FREE parking. (Note: Free Parking on Friday, February 14 begins at 3 p.m. at The CORE and 6 p.m. at Bankers Hall.
Public Transit Accessible