(re)-creations: A trio of 21st Century masterpieces by three of the most outstanding and original composers of our day. Canadian star, Nicole Lizee, re-imagines iconic scenes from The Sound of Music set to her own unique soundscape; Unsuk Chin is Korea’s most celebrated living composer, her rhapsodic Violin Concerto brought her international acclaim; the works of Kaja Saariaho (“sonic images of magnetic power” – The Guardian) magnificently evoke the distinctive colours and atmospheres of her native Finland.
Carte Blanche: Nicole Lizée: Nicole Lizée curates a concert featuring a kaleidoscopic selection from her inventive catalogue, including a (re-)arranged Perxploitation, whose sensational premiere by VSO Principal Percusionist Vern Griffiths with Maestro Tausk at VSONMF 2019 brought the crowd to the their feet.
Bizarre Bazaar: Viviane Hagner (“an almost hauntingly masterful display of technique and artistry” – Washington Post) finds poetry in the new and freshness in the old in a rare solo violin program weaving together works from five centuries.
(re)flection: Vancouver’s New Music champions, Standing Wave, present an eclectic mix of contemporary reflections on old themes, featuring Nicole Lizee, Missy Mazzoli, and Jennifer Butler’s re-imagination of one of Messiaen’s seminal works inspired by the call of birds, commissioned by Standing Wave as part of their 20C Remix project.
Waltz with Bashir: With his entrancing fusion of contemporary classical, post-minimal and alternative popular musical styles, Max Richter is one of today’s most successful composers for stage and screen. thought-provoking evening at the cutting edge of music and cinema.
(re)composed: With his 1995 opera, Powder her Face, British composer, Thomas Ades, made a splash on the world scene. A virtuoso orchestrator full of melodic fantasy and harmonic invention known for tackling ambitious topics in highly theatrical fashion, Ades has had since had is works performed by most major orchestras and opera companies around the world.
Who is it for?
Tickets :$12 & up
How to get tickets?
WHEN & WHERE
- (re)-creations — Saturday, January 11 | 7:30 pm Chan Centre at UBC
- Carte Blanche: Nicole Lizée — Sunday, January 12 | 2:00 pm @ Annex, 823 Seymour St, Vancouver
- Bizarre Bazaar — Monday, January 13 | 7:30 pm @ Christ Church Cathedral, 690 Burrard St, Vancouver
- (re)flection — Tuesday January 14 | 7:30 pm @ Christ Church Cathedral, 690 Burrard St, Vancouver
- Waltz with Bashir — Wednesday, January 15 | 7:30 pm @ Waterfront Theatre Granville Island
- (re)composed : Thursday, January 16 |7:30 pm @ Orpheum Theatre, , 601 Smithe St, Vancouver
You might like: