Quebec’s public health institute says Quebecers may have to limit their contacts even more to reduce the number of new cases of COVID−19.
In a report released today, it says that the province’s partial lockdown, which began on Oct. 1, helped avoid a potentially catastrophic situation.
But projections from the institute suggest that the regulations, which apply in Montreal, Quebec City and several other parts of the province, will only slow the speed at which the virus spreads.
It warns that a reduction in the number of new cases −− and the hospitalizations and deaths that come with them −− will require Quebecers to reduce contacts even further.
Quebec is reporting 1,055 new cases of COVID−19 today and 14 additional deaths. One death previously attributed to the virus was found to have been due to other causes.
Public health authorities in the province say 507 people are in hospital with COVID−19, including 87 in intensive care. The province has had a total of 91,018 confirmed cases and 6,018 deaths.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 16, 2020.
This story was produced with the financial assistance of the Facebook and Canadian Press News Fellowship.
The Canadian Press