Even though the Public Library locations are closed, Toronto Public Library provides plenty of free services that you can access without you ever having to set foot in a “physical” location.
Here are 10 of the best free services to help you through social distancing:
1. Listen to stories (Anywhere from Canada): Call 416-395-5400 for Dial a Story and listen to stories in 16 languages.
2. Get Correct Information & News from around the World about COVID-19: Your library card gives online access to newspapers and magazines from over 100 countries in over 60 languages.
3. Watch free movies: Watch 8 movies per month from a selection of more than 30,000 films from top producers such as The Great Courses, PBS, Media Education Foundation, Cohen Films, and more throughKanopy.You have 3 days to watch a movie you have borrowed.
4. Brush up your skills or learn something new: Access over 3,500 video tutorial coursesled by experts on web design, software development, photography, business skills, home and small office, project management, 3D + Animation, graphic design audio, music, video editing and more through online learning classes like lynda.com.
5. Prepare for tests:Need to sit for IELTS or SAT?Practice tests and answers for all ages like LSAT, MCAT, GMAT, SAT, GED, Canadian citizenship practice test, TOEIC, TOEFL iBT, math, grammar, writing and more are available online!
6. Learn a new language: Self isolation and social distancing period may be the best time to learn a new language throughMango.
7. Make Kids Study through Online Help: Getfree online homework help for students in grades K-12 offered daily from 2:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. Also includes practice tests, support for adult learners, writing assistance, skills building and more.
8. Listen to chart-topping music in every genre: Listen to great musicspanning medieval to modern – classical, jazz, electronic, world music, etc. and find expert educational content. Library offers free streaming music services like Naxos and Naxos Jazz.
9. Get to know your world – Ancient & Modern: Listen to online university-level lectures that will expand your knowledge from ancient Greece and Apocryphal Jesus to Black Holes and climate change.
10. Read a magazine or a book: Download thecurrent issues of popular magazines! From Reader’s Digest to Cosmo, you can download a variety of magazines that covers a variety of topics — news, business, entertainment, fashion, and more. Download ebooks from comics to non-fiction to cookbooks!
You may also like: