A man is targeting Calgary’s young babysitters and is making indecent phone calls, says Calgary Police Service.
According to the public release by Calgary Police Service, multiple complaints were filed since the beginning of 2019 regarding a man using babysitting service listings to contact minors.
The release says that the man is using a blocked number to phone girls between the ages of 11 and 16 and is engaging them in conversation that becomes progressively more inappropriate and graphic.
CPS has asked youth and their families to take following precautions and use thoughtful internet practices to keep kids safe:
- Do not include a photograph of a babysitter on any website.
- Do not answer any phone calls from blocked/private numbers.
- Do not include the babysitter’s phone number on websites; and communicate via email initially.
- Make sure a parent or guardian is present and listening when the babysitter is communicating with the person looking to hire them.
- Never let a babysitter meet the individual hiring them alone.
Indecent caller targets young babysitters. While babysitting services have a number of benefits, we encourage youth and their families to use thoughtful internet practices to keep kids safe. Read more: https://t.co/p0iBYpzYFp #yyc
— Calgary Police (@CalgaryPolice) February 6, 2020
Calgary Police Service is asking those who have received these report them to police using the non-emergency number at 403-266-1234. Tips can also be made anonymously using Crime Stoppers:
APP: “P3 Tips” App