Health Minister Tylor Shandro today announced new temporary health measures to help slow the spread of COVID-19 as Alberta reported 1,609 new cases on Sept. 15th.
The measures include limits on social gatherings including for those who are fully vaccinated, weddings and funerals, retail, entertainment venues, and indoor sport and fitness.
The province also introduced a restrictions exemption program where businesses and event organizers who choose to check for proof of vaccination of patrons or negative COVID-19 test will be exempt from new COVID-19 restrictions.
Outdoor events and facilities with no indoor portion (excluding washrooms) have no capacity restrictions. Participants are required to maintain two-metre physical distancing.
As part of the new measures, these are the new rules on social gatherings:
Indoor social gatherings – Effective Sept 16:
- If you are vaccinated: Indoor private social gatherings are limited to a single household plus one other household to a maximum of 10 vaccine-eligible, vaccinated people and no restrictions on children under 12.
- If you are unvaccinated: Indoor social gatherings are not permitted for vaccine-eligible people who are unvaccinated.
Outdoor social gatherings – Effective Sept 16:
- Outdoor private social gatherings are limited to a maximum of 200 people, with 2 metre physical distancing at all times.
Places of Worship – Effective Sept 16:
- Places of worship must limit attendance to one-third fire code capacity.
- Face masks will be mandatory and there must be two-metre physical distancing between households or two close contacts for those living alone.
Weddings and funerals – Effective Sept 20:
- All indoor ceremonies and services are limited to 50 attendees or 50 per cent fire code capacity, whichever is less.
- Unless the facility implements Restrictions Exemption Program. no indoor receptions will be permitted.
- All outdoor ceremonies and services for weddings and funerals must be limited to 200 attendees and liquor sales should end at 10pm, and consumption by 11pm for outdoor receptions, unless the facility implements Restrictions Exemption Program.