Whether you’re celebrating a birthday, or turning a regular day into an extraordinary day, Edmonton is bursting with things to do with that special someone.
1. Fairmont MacDonaldAffectionately referred to as “The Castle”, the Fairmont MacDonald is a four diamond luxury hotel in the heart of downtown. Its impressive architecture, panoramic river valley views, rich history and special events, like live painting, make it so much more. Dress up for brunch or dinner at the impressive dining room, The Harvest Room. @ 10065 100 St NW
2. La Ronde Restaurant
Enjoy live jazz, cocktails and appetizers every Tuesday evening at La Ronde. Located on the 24th floor of the Chateau Lacombe Hotel, its Edmonton’s only revolving restaurant and offers a spectacular view of the river valley. Dine on upscale entrees and tantalize your taste buds with fresh, in house made desserts. @ 10111 Bellamy Hill Rd NW
3. Opera Nuova
Dine on a four course meal while being regaled by singers from across Canada. Enjoy dinner Cabaret, musical theater, fairy tales, and soaring vocals while savouring dishes from some of Edmonton’s best chefs. @ 15123 43 Ave NW
4. Winspear Centre
One of the finest upscale performance venues in North America, the Winspear Centre is home to Edmonton’s great symphony orchestra, and a magnificent concert organ boasting 6,551 pipes. If the allure of incredible music isn’t enough to get you in the door, the ever changing show list, martini bar, and decadent dessert stations will! @ 4 Sir Winston Churchill Square NW
5. Fort Edmonton Park
Wander together though the re-created historical streets, or cozy up for a horse drawn wagon ride. Linger over dinner at Johnson’s café, and then end the evening with a night cap at The Mahogany room, reminiscent of the 1920’s and once known as Canada’s longest bar. With so much to see and experience, you might find your day at Fort Edmonton Park turning into a night out, as well! @ 7000 143 Street
6. Art Gallery of AlbertaTwice a year the Art Gallery Stays open late – really late – for their coveted Refinery series art parties. Think elegant costumes, music you can’t stop dancing to, and delicious appetizers to nibble on while connecting with artists and art lovers. If you can’t stay up late, their daytime rooftop patio views are just as spectacular. Try a latte at The Terrace Café, take in an inspiring and thoughtfully curated art exhibition, and finish off the adventure with dinner at Zinc restaurant, specializing in fresh, local ingredients. @ 2 Sir Winston Churchill Square
7. Holy Roller
Go when you’re hungry, you’ll want to eat everything on the menu. Or, better yet, bring company, and order several plates to share. Holy Roller is a café by day, and a unique dining experience by evening. If you’re having trouble deciding what to drink, the in house sommelier will be happy to personally assist. @ 8222 Gateway Blvd
Bring someone special with you, Bodegas tapas menu is perfectly portioned for sharing and the music won’t overpower your conversation. The seating area is small, but their wine list is anything but.
@ 10220 103 St NW
9. Dinner TheatrePrepare to leave day to day life behind as you dine, as dinner theatre is an immersive experience that you won’t soon forget. Roving actors, music and comedy are perfectly paired with a four course meal and a wide assortment of cocktails. Sit back, and enjoy the show at Jubilations Dinner Theatre ( 8882 170 St NW #2061), or Mayfield Dinner Theater (16615 109 Ave NW).
10. Alberta Ballet/Edmonton Opera
The Alberta Ballet is Canada’s second largest ballet company, with a prestigious (and well earned) international reputation. Each show is unique and mesmerizing, captivating audiences with intricate and powerful movements. From elegant tutus to cutting edge contemporary and modern shows.
Gorgeous music performed live by the Edmonton Symphony Orchestra, powerful unamplified singing by renowned Canadian and international artists, stories filled with drama and passion, elaborate sets and costumes… the list goes on! Going to the Edmonton opera can be a breathtaking, emotional, and thoroughly entertaining night out.
11. Paint Nite
Share a laugh, a drink, and create a piece of art to take home with you. Edmonton has a variety of “Paint Nite” or “Sip and Paint” events at various locations throughout the city. Take someone special with you and bond over learning to hold a paintbrush and follow the art teacher’s instructions (or not!) Its Paint Nite after all – get creative and expect the unexpected!
12. Princess TheatreThe red Velvet curtains and carpets will make you feel like you’ve stepped back in time, perhaps back to 1915, when it first opened. The Princess Theatre is a cozy two screen cinema with a rich history in Edmonton’s Old Strathcona neighbourhood. Have dinner on Whyte, and then share a bucket of popcorn while watching independent films. @ 10337 82 Ave
13. Muttart Conservatory
Stroll luxuriously through the gardens, enjoy a handcrafted latte and a biscotti or dinner at the Culina Café. Their fresh greens and herbs are grown at the in house greenhouse. On Thursday nights, the conservatory is open till 09:00 PM. And on Wednesday nights from 2018 – There will be themed tours and dinners, how-to classes and more.@ 9626 96a St NW
14. Alberta Botanic GardenJust fifteen minutes southwest of Edmonton, the Alberta Botanic garden is 240 acres of lush, beautifully landscaped foliage. The perfect place for walking and talking. Explore the many beautiful walking trails, surround yourself with butterflies in one of the indoor show houses, or stop for an ice cream at the patio café. On Thursday nights during summer, the Garden hosts, special date nights! @ 51227 AB-60, Spruce Grove
Almost as new and shiny as the Ice district itself. Linger over French and Canadian Wines, and watch the chefs grate parmesan and grind freshly cracked black pepper in the open kitchen. It’s within easy walking distance to the new Rogers Arena and many downtown attractions, but you might just not want to leave, especially if you’re sharing a table with someone special. @ 10228 104 St NW
Start off with a locally crafted beer and the fresh green Papaya salad, as you take in the beautiful artwork and furniture. If you prefer a relaxing dinner, go early, as the sun goes down and the stars come out, so does the music, developing a distinctively clubby feel. Baiju is available for birthdays, celebrations, and private special event bookings. If you can’t decide on a dinner companion – bring them all! @ 10359 104 St NW
17. La Creperie
From the moment you step into La Creperie’s warmly lit and inviting dining room, you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time into a fancy, brick walled Parisian restaurant. The private tables are elegantly separated with inventive arches made of antique books, wine bottles, and stone. Perfect for intimate conversations, where you can focus on the food and each other. @ 10220 103 St NW
18. UccellinoDine on ravioli, antipasti, and savour the exclusively Italian wine list. Uccellino is the newest Italian restaurant in the city. Munch on olives and sparkling wine at the stand-up bar, take a table for two or take your food home with you. If you’d like to host a private dining experience or celebration, the private dining room is available by reservation and can seat up to 12 people. Celebrate by trying everything on the menu! @ 10349 Jasper Ave
19. Corso 32
You’ll want to make a reservation to get a table at this in demand little spot downtown, but impress your dinner companion by taking care of all the details. Share a Fennel and Wild arugula salad and the Parsnip Agnolotti, with a bottle of sparkling wine. @ 10345 Jasper Ave
Listen to live instrumental music while dining on buttery scallops and fresh, vibrant greens at this upscale restaurant. The music will afford just enough ambience for you to thoroughly enjoy your conversation with your dinner companion, unless you are busy eating some of the freshest seafood in the city. @ 10220 103 St NW
21. Confederation Lounge
Sip a sparkling raspberry champagne cocktail, or maybe taste a crab cake slider. If it’s cold outside, enjoy the crackling fireplace or, if it’s a hot summer day, take in the gorgeous river valley views while you enjoy the company you are with. The Confederation Lounge is also located inside the hotel Fairmont Macdonald, but you might forget about everything else as you soak up the lounges amazing atmosphere. @ 10065 100 St NW
22. Live TheatreStroll through evergreen pathways, past elegant palm trees and the two story indoor waterfall. Enjoy a romantic dinner at Normand’s Bistro, or sip a glass of red on a bench made for two. With all of this under a beautiful glass roof, and some of the best live theatre the city has to offer, The Citadel Theatre might just be Edmonton’s perfect destination for an amazing night in! @ 9828 101A Avenue Northwest
23. The Common
Crunch away on the brown butter Jackson salad while trying a local craft beer. The Common is a multi-faceted venue – think modern and vintage décor meets live music and Dj’s. Lunch, dinner, or dancing, The Common is the perfect gathering spot and is a great place to host a private party or event. @ 9910 109 St NW
24. Latitude 53 Gallery
Edgy, contemporary and always new. Latitude 53 is Edmonton’s oldest artist run centre. Indulge in their newest exhibition, and then head outside to 124th street for boutique shopping, art galleries, cafes and restaurants. @ 10242 106 St NW
25. Couples Massage Getaway
Relax and unwind in Life Stiles deluxe double suite with tandem massages to treat the body and the mind. Choose your style of massage, from gentle relaxation to deeper work on the areas of increased tension. For packages that take 2 hours or more, they also offer a selection of local foods from 124th street during your spa day! @ 10314 124 Street, Edmonton
What to Do This Weekend
If you didn’t find anything to your taste in the above list, check, What’s On in Edmonton this weekend, you might find something to your taste!
For more ideas: