Edmonton might be covered in a blanket of snow and ice, but you can heat things up with these 25 hot winter date ideas. Get out of the cold, or bundle up and head out into it with your favourite someone!(Arranged in no particular order).
1. A Sleigh Ride for TwoThere’s no better way to spend time with someone special than with a sleigh ride for two. Cozy up with a blanket (or a pile of hay!) as your team of horses and driver pulls you effortlessly over snow covered hills and through tree lined trails. @ 530048 Range Road 183
2. Alberta Ballet
Each performance by Alberta Ballet is unique and mesmerizing, captivating audiences with intricate and powerful movements, visually stunning costumes and sets. So buy your tickets and settle in for this visual treat!
You may like:
Woodwork is a hidden gem, tucked into the historic McLeod Building downtown. Dark polished wood and a long counter make it the perfect place to slip into after a long day of exploring the city. Wind down the evening (or get it started!) by sharing a pitcher of punch with your date, like the “L’Appel du Vide”, featuring Cognac and Bourbon, blended with hints of elderflower. Pair it with the Blackened Cod topped with romesco, and a side of crispy chickpea fritters and cucumber dill salad. @ 10132 100 St
4. Elk Island
Strap on a pair of snowshoes (provided) and head to Elk Island National park, located just outside of Edmonton. Your guide will take you on a two hour evening tour around Astotin Lake. Break halfway to enjoy drinks, snacks, and stargazing around the crackling campfire before finishing your snowshoe adventure. @ 54401 Range Rd 203, Fort Saskatchewan
5. Ice on WhyteMarvel at the intricate ice sculptures created by local and travelling artists in this international ice carving competition. If you feel like learning something new, head to the inflatable igloo and try carving some ice yourself. Dance to live music, mingle with storytellers, sip steaming hot chocolate or have a hot toddy at the Ice Bar. @ 10208 82 Ave NW Gateway Bvld
6. Hansel & Gretel
Edmonton Opera presents this delightful production based on the Brothers Grimm fairy tale. Hansel & Gretel takes you deep into the forbidden forest with a charmingly curious brother-sister duo. This German classic features Engelbert Humperdinck’s sumptuous score and richly woven characters. February 2 to 8, 2019
7. Silver Skate Festival
Lace up a pair of skates (If you don’t own skates, you can rent them) and glide effortlessly around the frozen lake with your date, or share a laugh as you fall down. Stroll through “Lovers Lane” and cozy up in front of a crackling fire to try a piece of crispy bannock. Enjoy a horse drawn sleigh ride, warm up with live music, or take a break to enjoy a live theater show. @ William Hawrelak Park
8. Broadway across CanadaGo to New York, or go easier on your wallet and just pretend like you did! Start off your night with a glass of sparkling wine in the art filled reception area, and then settle into your seat for a spectacular touring Broadway show.The theater is just steps away from Whyte Ave, so you can finish off your night with a dance of your own.
9. Winspear Centre
Picture a soaring ceiling, softly lit with blue and white lights and a piano sitting in the center of the stage. The air is crackling with a sense of anticipation and breathtaking wonder as a solitary figure, the conductor, walks onstage. A concert at Edmonton’s most elegant venue is always memorable. Treat yourselves to the many concerts held at the centre.
10. Garneau Theater (Metro Cinema)
If you and your date are into movies, The Garneau Theater is the best place in Edmonton to watch a film. Step back in time with spacious seats, fresh buttery popcorn, and soda. Snap a photo in the old fashioned photo booth and, believe it or not, you can buy Alley Kat beer at the concession stand and take it into the movie with you! The theater specializes in independent films and well-loved classics that you’ll want to see again and again, but if you don’t like the movie, there is always the beer! @ 8712 109 St NW
11. Gallagher Park
The venue of Edmonton’s annual sell out music festival in the heart of the city, turns into the best toboggan spot around in winter. Stop at the top to take in the exhilarating view of downtown Edmonton before you and your date soar down the hill.
12. Muttart ConservatoryFour towering glass pyramids host four different climates. Perfumed Chrysanthemums, tropical blooms, and fresh temperate evergreens, and special feature displays that change with the seasons. After you stroll luxuriously through the gardens, enjoy a handcrafted latte and a biscotti or dinner at the Culina Café. Their fresh greens and herbs are grown at the in house greenhouse. @ 9626 96a St NW
13. Little Brick Café and General Store
A first glance, you might miss it…this beautifully restored brick historical house blends seamlessly into its Riverdale neighbourhood. Try a cup of quality roasted coffee, and French toast topped with lemon whipped cream, or cozy up with a handcrafted latte around the fire pit outside. If you are feeling social, the main seating area is airy and welcoming, or you can explore one of the more private dining areas and window nooks scattered throughout the main floor. @ 10004 90 St NW
14. Dadeo New Orleans Diner and BarThere’s nothing better than good food and good company. Dadeo’s is the perfect place to enjoy both. Try one of their hard lemonades mixed in mason jars, or their famous crispy sweet potato fries, breaded and served with spicy mayo and jalapeno jelly. The lightly pink walls loaded with art glow with ambient blue light at night, and for just a quarter you can choose your own tunes from the jukebox. The black and white checked floor is small, but with just enough space for a dance or two. @ 10548 Whyte Avenue
15. Victoria IceWay Skating Trail
If you’ve ever enjoyed a romantic walk down one of Edmonton’s river valley trails, you are likely familiar with the tree lined paths, and lazy river views. Now you can glide smoothly (or at least, try) over those same trails, which are groomed to become perfectly smooth skating trails in the winter. As the stars come out, so do the lights. The paths are illuminated by a series of laser cut wooden and LED lanterns, created by local artist Dylan Cooper. Beautiful reds, greens, and glowing geometrical patterns are reflected on the ice while you skate. @ 11004 – 12004 River Valley Rd NW
16. Snow Valley
Race your date down the hill on a snowboard or pair of skis. Or if you aren’t ready to race, take a lesson together and catch each other as you fall. After all of that fresh air and exercise, you’ll be ready to sit down for a while, so linger over dinner and dessert. Snow Valley is all of the fun of the mountains…but right in the heart of the city. @ 13204 Rainbow Valley Rd NW
17. Remedy Café
The burgundy and orange walls pop with splashes of color from local artwork and paintings, but chances are, you’ll be too focused on each other to pay much attention. Try a local beer and the Chana Masala wrap. Chickpeas, sauce and vegetables are perfectly wrapped in a crispy grilled pita, sliced in half. Split it with your date at a table downstairs, then head upstairs and enjoy a cup of their famous chai while you relax on one of the couches in the lounge area. @ 8631 109 St NW
18. Sugar Swing Ballroom
Strap on your shiniest and most comfortable dancing shoes, because once you start swinging, you won’t be able to stop! Specializing in Jazz, Jive, Lindy hop, Balboa and Charleston style dancing, the Sugar Swing Ballroom offers dance lessons and dance nights that are open and inclusive to everyone. Head to City Hall every Sunday afternoon this January and February, where you can try out the steps for yourselves to live Jazz music. Or if you are more in the mood to glide to the music, head to the skating rink directly outside. @ 10019 80 Ave NW
19. Candy Cane LaneGo for an evening stroll…past elves, gnomes, and reindeer. Wrap your mittens around a cup of steaming hot chocolate as you and your date take in breathtaking multicolored lights, glowing stars, gingerbread houses, and illuminated ice sculptures. If you aren’t in the mood to walk, book a sleigh ride for two, and jingle merrily past the stunning displays of festive decorations. @ 148 St NW through December 31
20. Confederation Lounge
Sip a sparkling raspberry champagne cocktail, or maybe taste a crab cake slider. Enjoy the crackling fireplace and you relax in the the company you are with. The Confederation Lounge is located inside the hotel Fairmont Macdonald. Dinner for two, to stay….all night! @ 10065 100 St NW
21. El Cortez Mexican Kitchen and Tequila Bar
Slide into one of the booths lining a rustic brick wall, or grab a couple of stools along the blue lit bar. Taste one of the 140 varieties of tequila, with a side of chips and fire roasted tomato salsa, or a handcrafted margarita rimmed with cracked sea salt and fresh lime. @ 8230 Gateway Blvd
22. Legislature grounds
The Legislature grounds, gardens and fountains are beautiful at any time of year. In the winter, the lower field is turned into a giant skating rink. Sail across the ice and past trees adorned with red, green and blue lights. Bring a winter picnic to enjoy amongst the twinkling decorations as you and your date spend the evening twirling and laughing. @ 10800 97 Ave NW
23. Bru Coffee and Beer House
The clean white lines and wooden décor are the perfect match to the artisan coffees, craft beer, and amazing food. Impress your brunch date by recommending the waffles topped with fresh fruit and fine sugar. Linger over a charcuteri board in the evening with Italian deli meats, pickles and specialty cheeses. Or a share bowl of popcorn, sprinkled with paprika. You won’t be disappointed! @ 11965 Jasper Ave NW
24. Sunday Brunch
Head to Fort Edmonton Park on a Sunday! Get a perfect start to your day fulfilling those cravings for breakfast or lunch, or both! After you meal, take a stroll through the park and enjoy the snow blanketed picturesque heritage park! 10:30 am to 12:30 pm on Sundays!
25. Ice Castles
Entirely handcrafted out of water and icicles, the giant Ice Castle is an entire acre of crystal ice caves, frozen waterfalls, and snowy paths. Hang on to your date and get lost amongst the magical, soaring ice castle walls. At night, the Ice Castles are illuminated with glowing green, pink, white and yellow lights. @ William Hawrelak Park
For more winter date ideas, see Things to Do Outdoors in Edmonton during Winter