Canada is reopening non-essential travel into Canada starting September 7, 2021.
Fully vaccinated tourists can visit Canada provided they are fully vaccinated, i.e., received a vaccine recognized by the Government of Canada-accepted vaccine at least 14 days before arriving in Canada.
To be considered fully vaccinated, a person should have received two doses of Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca or one dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine at least 14 days before arriving in Canada. Canada also considers those who received two mixed doses of Pfizer, Moderna or AstraZeneca as fully vaccinated.
Canada is also reopening its borders to fully vaccinating Americans, currently in the U.S. starting August 9th.
What this means:
- Starting September 7th, those who have received the full vaccination series of a vaccine accepted by the Government of Canada at least 14 days prior to entering Canada can visit Canada for non essential purposes.
- Unvaccinated children under 12 years of age and dependents of fully vaccinated travellers eligible for entry to Canada will be exempted from quarantine with enhanced public health measures, meaning they can move around with their parents, but must avoid group settings, such as camps or daycares.
Requirements for Entry:
- Fully vaccinated travellers must:
- be asymptomatic
- have provided COVID-19 related information electronically through ArriveCAN prior to arrival in Canada
- have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation in English or French
- Air carriers will be verifying that the travellers coming to Canada have submitted their information digitally by using the ArriveCAN app or website before they board their flight. Discretionary travellers who are unable to show their ArriveCAN receipt – either on their mobile device or a printed copy – will not be allowed to board their flight to Canada, as they are ineligible to enter Canada. In addition to their ArriveCAN receipt, travellers should carry their actual vaccine certificate with them to show officials at the border entry point.
- The three-night government-authorized hotel stay requirement for all travellers arriving by air will be eliminated as of 12:01 a.m. EDT on August 9.
- Unvaccinated travellers will have to undergo Day 1 and Day 8 COVID-19 molecular tests, and complete a mandatory 14 day quarantine, subject to limited exceptions.
- The government of Canada is also planning to release a modified quarantine plan for those who cannot be fully vaccinated due to a health condition for which vaccination is contraindicated according to the vaccine’s label.