Canada has announced that the country is reopening its border to fully vaccinated Americans starting August 9th.
What this means:
- American citizens and permanent residents, who are currently residing in the United States, and have been fully vaccinated at least 14 days prior will be allowed to enter Canada for non-essential travel.
- Entry to Canada will continue to be prohibited for U.S. travellers who are not fully vaccinated unless they already meet an exemption set out in the Orders made under the Quarantine Act.
- Unvaccinated children under 12 years of age, or unvaccinated dependent children (due to a mental or physical condition), who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents currently residing in the U.S. and who are accompanying a fully vaccinated parent, step-parent, guardian or tutor who either has a right to enter Canada (e.g. Canadian citizens and permanent residents), is a U.S. citizen and permanent resident currently residing in the U.S, or is otherwise will also be allowed.
Requirements for Entry
- All those planning to enter Canada should complete ArriveCAN (app or web portal) application and submit their travel information.
- Fully vaccinated travellers must also:
- provide COVID-19-related information electronically through ArriveCAN (app or web portal) including proof of vaccination prior to arrival in Canada;
- meet the pre-entry testing requirements, i.e, regardless of vaccination status, travellers still require a pre-entry COVID-19 molecular test result.
- be asymptomatic upon arrival;
- and have a paper or digital copy of their vaccination documentation in English or French (or certified translation) ready to show a government official on request as evidence.
- Using a new border testing surveillance program at airports and land border crossings, fully vaccinated travellers will not need a post-arrival test unless they have been randomly selected to complete a Day 1 COVID-19 molecular test.
- Effective August 9, 2021, Transport Canada will remove the requirement for the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority to perform pre-board temperature screening of passengers on all domestic flights and international departures (including Transborder), as well as airport workers.
- The three-night government-authorized hotel stay requirement for all travellers arriving by air will be eliminated as of 12:01 a.m. EDT on August 9.
- Canada is also planning to allow travellers from any country who have been fully vaccinated starting September 7th.