Hike on a frozen creek, and explore surreal rock formations and indigenous wall art on this small-group tour through Grotto Canyon. Your specialist guide explains the unique history and geology of the canyon as you glide past wondrous icefalls in this sublime winter environment. The tour also includes use of ice cleats and a hiking pole, plus a light snack and hot chocolate.
At Grotto Canyon, you’ll hike on the frozen creek bed through a narrow canyon, past unusual rock formations and spectacular icefalls. This is a unique experience to walk directly on the ice, and walking on the creek bed floor gives you a unique view of the canyon.
The history of the rock art, which is over a thousand years old, and the geology of the mountains are at your fingertips as your guide explains the mystery of the area. You might also have the unique opportunity to witness ice climbers scaling the frozen waterfalls.
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Most travelers can participate
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
Adult (Age from 13 to 99):$82.95
Child (Age from 8 to 12):$51.45
Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
How to get tickets?
WHEN & WHERE
Select Dates, December 12 to April 14, 2020
Start Time: 8:30 AM
Duration: 4 hours
• Return Distance: 2.6 miles (4.2 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 330 feet (100 meters)
• Walking Time: 2 – 2.5 hours
Starts from: Mount Royal Hotel, 138 Banff Ave, Banff
Visits Grotto Canyon, Kananaskis
Ends at: Returns to original departure point