Water cascades into this narrow canyon in the heat of summer, but in the winter the thundering falls freeze solid to create natural ice sculptures. Johnston Canyon is one of the most popular attractions in Banff National Park and has a network of steel catwalks built into the canyon walls that allows you to walk right along this cathedral of ice with airy views into the gorge below.
As you do, you’ll get to wander through a natural cave to gaze down at the flowering waters of the lower falls. Continue onto the awe-inducing upper falls – a glittering tower of ice that rise 30 metres above your head. These gigantic pillars of ice are the tour highlight and ice climbers can often be seen scaling the frozen columns.
This popular guided icewalk will lead you past the lower falls and on to view the breathtaking upper icefalls from the upper deck. You will also travel through prime wildlife habitat to reach the falls and learn the clues to how Johnston Canyon was formed.
What to expect:
• Walking Time: 2 – 2.5 hours
• Return Distance: 3.4 miles (5.4 kilometers)
• Elevation Gain: 443 feet (135 meters)
- Minimum age is 8 years. All children aged 15 years and under must be accompanied by someone 18 years and older.
- All adults must sign a waiver prior to the tour. A waiver must also be completed by the parent or guardian of any child under the age of 18.
- Guests should dress in ski wear for this trip including hats, mittens, and warm boots. A detailed list of items to wear and bring is provided on your voucher.
- A moderate level of fitness is recommended to ensure that you enjoy the tour.
- Please note that this tour stays on the trail and does not traverse the ice due to safety concerns.
- Not wheelchair accessible
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s canceled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 12 travelers
Adult (Age from 13 to 99): $82.95
Child (Age from 8 to 12):$51.45
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Professional guide
- Ice cleats
- Hiking pole
- Maple cookie snack, hot chocolate
- Small group size (up to 12 guests per guide)
How to get tickets?
WHEN & WHERE
November 15 to April 21, 2020
8:30 AM & 1:30 PM departure times
Duration: 4 hours
Starts from: Traveler pickup is offered from Banff
You must be ready 15 minutes prior to the tour departure time. Our guide will be there within the 15 minute pick up window.
Ends at: Returns to the original departure point approximately 4 hours after departure
If you are booking within 24 hours of the tour/activity departure time, we cannot guarantee hotel pick-up. Once your purchase is complete, we will send you complete contact information (phone number, email address, etc.) for our local operator to organize pick-up arrangements.