About Lake Minnewanka
Named ‘Water of the Spirits’ by the First Nations, Lake Minnewanka is a glacial lake fed by Cascade river and is the largest body of water in the Banff National Park.
What to do at Lake Minnewanka ?
Things to do at Lake Minnewanka
1. Enjoy the exhilarating scenery of Lake with Mount Inglismaldie and Fairholme range as the backdrop.
2. Picnic at the Lake.
3. Take the Stewart trail and hike or Bike along the rocky shoreline and pass the rocky beaches to Stewart canyon and Cascade River. Continue onto Alymer Lookout (8km). Group Access for Lake Minnewanka Trail during bear activity months. (from Stewart Canyon Bridge to the East Park Boundary), Aylmer Pass Trail, Aylmer Lookout Trail)
4. Take a boat cruise to Devil’s Gap.
5. Motor Boating is allowed here . Go Canoeing or Kayaking (windy).
6. View wildlife.
7. Fish in the Lake. National Park license required.
9. Go scuba diving : This lake is a ‘high altitude’ dive site. It has three sites for scuba diving.
10. Go cross country skiing at the Cascade Valley. The parking lot is the trail head for Cascade River Bridge & Stoney Creek Bridge trail head
11. Try Snow shoeing at Stewart Canyon Trail.
12. Go Ice Diving.
How to get to Lake Minnewanka ?
Location / Directions to Lake Minnewanka
The Lake is located about 11km from the Banff town.
To reach the lake from Banff town, Head north on Banff Ave and then continue ontoLake Minnewanka Scenic Driveto reach the Lake.
From Calgary, Take the exit toward Banff/Minnewanka Loop from Highway 1. Keep right at the fork, follow signs for Cascade Pond/Two Jack Lake and merge onto Lake Minnewanka Scenic Drive.
Public Transit – ROAM:
The Minnewanka Route 6 will travel from downtown Banff to Lake Minnewanka via the Lake Minnewanka Road.
Click on the map tab or the above link for directions.
How much to visit Lake Minnewanka?
Boat Rentals from Brewster Canada – verify
Motor Boats 1st hour$80
Half Day (4 Hours)$225
Double Kayaks 1st hour$50
Single Kayaks 1st hour$30
When to go to Lake Minnewanka ?
Hours / timing –
Year round.- Activities Vary depending on the season.
Boat house hours at Lake Minnewanka – 2018
Boat House for Rentals:
May 11 – June 8 | 9 AM – 5 PM
June 9 – Sep 17 | 9 AM – 6 PM
Sep 18 – Oct 8 | 11 AM – 5 PM
How long will it take to see the lake ?
Depending on interest, half an hour to a full day.
What about Amenities, accessibility & parking?
Unloading ramp and parking area for boats and trailers.
Canoe / Boat rentals.