About Vermilion Lakes, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada
A series of lakes formed in the Bow River valley, Banff National Park, the Vermilion Lakes in Alberta is a wetland which is an excellent place for viewing wildlife.
What to do at Vermilion Lakes Banff?
Vermilion Lakes Banff Activities
- View sunrise or sunset and enjoy watching the wildlife like bald eagles and elk.
- Enjoy light show by nature, if you get lucky : See Aurora Borealis at night with the Lake and mountains in the foreground. Check this site to see whether there is any strong aurora activity today.
- Hike the easy Fenland trail (2.5km loop) or along the Vermilion lake drive ( 10 km- share the road with traffic).
- Bike the Vermilion Lake drive which is the part of Legacy Bike Trail.
- Paddle or canoe on the Vermilion Lakes ( linked to 40 Mile Creek and to the Bow River). Roof top canoe launch areas and floating canoe docks can be found along the road. Canoes and Kayaks can be rented from Banff Canoe Club located at the corner of Wolf Street and Bow Ave, in downtown Banff.
- In winter, view the wild animals like elk and coyotes as the Lake and in Autumn/Fall the alpine scenery takes on the golden hue.
- Vermilion lakes can be used for ice skating, but thickness may not uniform due to warm springs. Use caution and do it at your own risk.
- Fish at the Vermilion Lake. For this activity, National park license is required. For rules and fishing hours, check the regulations at the Alberta website.
Who all can go to Vermilion Lakes ? – All
How to visit Vermilion Lakes? Banff?
Location/directions to Vermilion Lakes, Banff
The Vermillion Lakes Road/Drive( 4.6 kilometre dead end) that runs parallel to Highway 1.
From Banff town, Head north on Banff Ave toward Wolf St , turn left to Wolf St then to Lynx St . Continue onto Mt Norquay Rd . Turn left onto Vermilion Lakes Road and continue on to reach the first lake.
#StormHour Photo Of The Week Winners 23rd January 2017 https://buff.ly/2jVWVAr 2nd Place Jill Jill With thanks to Royal Met. Soc. #weatherphotography #weather #severeweather #weatherpictures #stormhourphotooftheweek #storms #pictureoftheweek #potw #photooftheweek #weatherphotos #solotravel #sunsrisephotography #VermilionLakes
How much to visit Vermilion Lakes?
Admission/fees Vermilion Lakes
When to see Vermilion Lakes Banff?
Year round, day light hours. Path cleared till 1st Vermilion Lake in winter.
How long will it take to see Vermilion Lakes ?
Depending on interest, forty five minutes to well over two hours.
What about amenities & accessibility?
Wheel chair accessible.
Benches available for leisurely viewing.
Parking: Parking available at roadside pull outs.