What’s on in Victoria this weekend: Events and activities in and around Victoria including free fun family activities, festivals, live music, theatre and sports events.
Weekend Events & Festivals: Friday, September 20 to Sunday, September 22, 2019
You may like:
I. Family & Kids Activities
Light Up the Hills 2019 Festival
Light Up the Hills, presented by the West Shore Arts Council and sponsored by Westhills, is a family-friendly outdoor festival of light held after dark, that features illuminated artworks that creates a spectacular glowing effect throughout the community. Event participants walk along a designated path, passing by various performances and artworks, and bring their own hand-made lanterns to guide their way. This community-focused event aims to showcase the creativity of local artists, musicians, and performers. Light your path with your own lantern creation or join in on one of three lantern-making workshops in the lead up to our 2019 event.
Saturday, September 21, 2019 | 7:30 PM – 9:30 PM
Belmont Secondary School, 3041 Langford Lake Rd, Victoria
Children’s Story Festival
Celebrate the 16th year of Esquimalt’s Story Festival with another awesome line-up of great story tellers. This year’s theme is Reach for the Stars. Lunch provided by the Esquimalt Lions through a generous donation from Country Grocer, from 11:00am until 12:00pm. Details
Saturday, September 21, 2019 | 10:30 AM – 1 PM
Memorial Park, Esquimalt
Fire Department Open House – 100th Anniversary
Join for the 100 year celebration of the Saanich Fire Department! Meet our fire fighters, Fire truck tours, Firefighting and rescue demonstrations, Quake Cottage earthquake simulation, Food and fun for everyone. Details
Saturday, September 21, 2019 | 10:00 AM
Saanich Fire Station 1, 760 Vernon Ave, Saanich
Watch Imax Movies. Details
- Apollo 11 First Steps: First Steps Edition brings to life what it was like when the space program was new, and when Apollo 11 was doing something humanity had never done before. Audiences are stunned, over and over, at how complex the mission was, how many times it could have failed, and how much technology, skill, foresight, and pure grit were required to succeed. We don’t simply feel like we’re watching; we’re there.
- Mysteries of China: Mysteries of China captures one of the great archaeological events of the modern age, telling the story of ancient China, the First Emperor, and the literal foundation of the China we know today.
- Great Bear Rainforest: Journey to a land of grizzlies, coastal wolves, sea otters and the all-white spirit bear — the rarest bear on earth — in the film Great Bear Rainforest. Hidden from the outside world, the Great Bear Rainforest is one of the wildest places left on earth.
- Toy Story 4: Woody, Buzz Lightyear and the rest of the gang embark on a road trip with Bonnie and a new toy named Forky. The adventurous journey turns into an unexpected reunion as Woody’s slight detour leads him to his long-lost friend Bo Peep. As Woody and Bo discuss the old days, they soon start to realize that they’re worlds apart when it comes to what they want from life as a toy.
IMAX Victoria 675 Belleville Street, Victoria
$5.40 to $11.95
II. Performing Arts – Live Music & Theatre
The Children by Lucy Kirkwood
The cost of friendship. The price of progress.
Robin and Hazel are two retired nuclear scientists, living in a seaside cottage on the east coast of England. But all is not as it seems. Their electricity is restricted to evenings, and they have a Geiger counter in the kitchen. On a warm summer’s evening, Rose, an old friend and colleague arrives from America with a startling request.
September 17 – October 13, 2019
Belfry Theatre, 1291 Gladstone Ave, Victoria
$18.05 & up
The Showdown Dance Off
10 movers, shakers and body-rhythm makers from around Victoria converge on the VEC to move you to your core. Each bringing their own flavour and different styles. You. Will. Be. Wowed.Featuring: Sadie Evans, Bailey Fennellow, Katie Lehive, Andrea Lemus & Pedro M. Siqueira, Pop Tart (Ezra Lavender), Keith Macmillan, Selenne Hough (Hazel Nuez), Richmond Oduro, Ruby Raqs, and The Rutledge Rollers.
Sunday, September 22, 2019 | 8:00 PM
Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street, Victoria
$20 to $30
Over the River and Through the Woods
How far will family go to keep you close? HEART-WARMING, FUNNY & TOUCHING. Young, carefree bachelor Nick lives the life of a modern professional in New York City, but dines with his traditional Italian grandparents in New Jersey every Sunday. When he announces career plans will take him to Seattle, they do everything they can to prevent the move… with comic consequences.
September 25 – October 12, 2019
Langham Court Theatre, 805 Langham Court, Victoria
$10 to $36
Other Concerts & Events
- The Beatles Experience – A Beatles Revival Tribute Band on Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM @ Charlie White Theatre, 2243 Beacon Ave, Sidney
- Jay & Dan Podcast on Friday, September 20, 2019 at 7:00 PM @ McPherson Playhouse, 3 Centennial Square, Victoria | $39.50 & up
- Alasdair Fraser and Natalie Haas – Opening by Daniel Lapp’s BC Fiddle Orchestra on Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 7:30 PM @ First Church of Christ Scientist, 1205 Pandora Ave, Victoria
- West Coast Comedy Showcase on Saturday, September 21 2019 at 7:30 PM @ The Farquhar at UVic, University Centre Building, 3800 Finnerty Road, Victoria
- The Human Condition Comedy Tour on Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 7:00 PM @ The Duke Saloon, 502 Discovery Street, Victoria
Sidney by the Sea
Sunday, September 22, 2019 | 8:00 AM
Sidney Pier, 9805 Seaport Pl, Sidney
Warm up your derby-watching muscles with the Rotten Apples Junior Roller Derby Showcase. The Apples have been working hard all season and will be showing off their skills
Saturday, September 14, 2019 | 5:00 PM to 9:00 PM
Archie Browning Sports Centre, 1151 Esquimalt Rd, Victoria
$10 in advance / $15 at the door
Hydroforce Excavating Championship Night
Featuring the “CRAZY WAYNE THE TRAIN” Car Jump, Lordco Demo Series(Cars, Trucks, Mini Fig 8), Howie’s Car Corral Bombers, Loan Rangers Financial Claimer cars,Greater Victoria Services Destruction Races, Rollover Contest, Total Destruction, Country Music Hit group Montgomery County & FIREWORKS! Demo Cars/Trucks, Mini Figure 8’s, Bombers, & Claimers will all be out in Full HYDROFORCE as Champions will be crowned in each division. A Total Destruction & FIREWORKS! will conclude the 2019 Season. Details
Saturday, September 21, 2019 | 4:30 PM
Western Speedway, 2207 Millstream Rd, Victoria
$16 to $28
V. Festivals & Other Events
The Bump n’ Grind House Showcase
The Bump n’ Grind House is back with a fabulous stellar showcase! Pop those champagne corks and get ready for some sizzling, sensational classic burlesque with BANBURY CROSS from the UK! Known as Burlesque’s Bulletproof Blonde, the performer will have you meltng in your seats! Plus a full line up of some of the best talent Victoria has to offer!
Friday, September 20, 2019 | 7:00 PM
Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street, Victoria
$18.00 – $130.00
Victoria Wine Festival!
Explore the world of wine at the 2019 Victoria Wine Festival! Taste through the largest wine tasting in Victoria with over 300 presenting wines from 11+ different countries! This festival is directed at building the knowledge of the average wine consumer, and demonstrating new wines and acknowledging beloved wine standards to veteran consumers.
September 19 – 21, 2019
The Parkside Hotel & Spa, 810 Humbolt Street, Victoria
Brewery & The Beast
Indulge in creative, meaty dishes from over 60 chefs and restaurants from Victoria and the Island, all using sustainable, local proteins from BC and Alberta. Dishes are accompanied by beer from Phillips Brewing Company, local ciders and wine, and non alcoholic beverages including soda from Phillips Soda Works, kombucha, and coffee. Dance off the meat sweats to live music from The Electric Timber Company with special guests, enjoy fresh fruit and vegetable stands, and join in the fun at exciting activations.
Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 1:00 PM
Royal Athletic Park, 1014 Caledonia Ave, Victoria
$99.95 + GST and service fees
Vintage Halloween Fair
Shop 2 floors of glorious vintage, retro, antique, up-cycled treasures (costumes, jewelry, accessories, oddities, Day of the Dead, Fall fashions, home and garden decor, collectibles, vinyl, books, ephemera, treats and more!)! Plus, enjoy spectacular vintage-style entertainment: fashion shows, pop up music performances, creative vintage Halloween photo booth, treats galore and oh so much more!
Friday, September 20 | 4 PM to 9 PM
Saturday, September 21 | 10 AM to 4 PM
Da Vinci Centre, 195 Bay St, Victoria
$4 to $5; Kids 12 + Under: Free
Sips and Songs for the Salish Sea
Come by and learn more about our efforts to defend our wild Pacific salmon. From 5:00-8:00pm, the outdoor patio at Lighthouse Brewing Co. will be transformed into a mini-celebration in honor of all things salmon. Chill out to the ethereal sounds of Irth, pick up some art from Owl & Bear Studio in support of wildlife conservation, take a brewery tour, and discover more about Georgia Strait Alliance’s Safe Salmon campaign.
Friday, September 20 | 5:00 PM to 08:00 PM
Lighthouse Brewing Company, 836 Devonshire Road, Victoria
Harvest on the Harbour: A Night Under the Stars
Join us in supporting BC Children’s Hospital for a spectacular evening with dinner, dancing and entertainment under the stars at the stunning Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort. Harvest on the Harbour: A Night Under the Stars promises to be a night of inspiration, entertainment and celebration as we work to help enrich the lives of children through their health-care journeys with BC Children’s Hospital. Details
Friday, September 20, 2019 | 6:00 PM
Delta Hotels by Marriott Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort, 100 Harbour Road, Victoria
$129 – $1,290
Residential Remains: A Walking Tour Of Rock Bay
Victoria’s Rock Bay neighbourhood is probably best known for the industry that dominates its streets. But Rock Bay was not always waste transfer sites and gravel piles – until the late 1950s it was also a residential neighbourhood. An area for semi-rural and upper class estates during the 1860s, the area became a middle-class and working-class neighbourhood in later years. Very few of the early houses, with the exception of Point Ellice House, survive today – but we can see evidence of these residences in the ornamental trees that line the streets. Join Dr. Patrick Dunae and Point Ellice House Museum and Gardens for a walking tour of Rock Bay on September 21st. Along the way we will discuss the history of Rock Bay and locate heritage buildings still standing, as well as those that vanished long ago. Details
Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 11:15 AM
Point Ellice House Museum & Gardens, 2616 Pleasant Street, Victoria
$16 incl. taxes & fees (includes admission to Point Ellice House Museum & Gardens)
Victoria Film Fest Presents: Wayne’s World @ Phillips Backyard
FILM + BEER + SURPRISE
Grab a pal and come hang out with us in the Phillips Brewery Backyard! You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll hurl! Best friends Wayne (Mike Myers) and Garth (Dana Carvey) are on a mission to promote their late-night public access TV show without selling out to The Man. Details
Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 8:00 PM
Phillips Backyard, 2010 Government St, Victoria
Community Costume Swap & Shop
Whether you’re a performer, actor, dancer or you just like to dress up – WE HAVE SOMETHING FOR YOU! We will have clothing racks and tables for those who have costumes, odds/ends, props and more to sell. Details
Sunday, September 22, 2019 at 12:00 PM
Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street, Victoria, BC
How much: Suggested entry free $2-$5 but no one will be turned away for lack of funds
Get Fresh Harvest Market At Sea Cider
Join us for the GET FRESH HARVEST MARKET at SEA CIDER, featuring 30 hand-picked local food + drink + farm + artisan vendors, in the beautiful orchard setting at Sea Cider Farm + Ciderhouse. The harvest will be a’plenty, with Fall produce, cheese, bread, pastries, fresh pasta, sweet treats, coffee, kombucha, gelato, herbs + plants + flowers, as well as artisan food products, locally-made candles + natural beauty/skin-care products + unique local home wares. Details
Sunday, September 22, 2019 | 11:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Sea Cider Farm & Ciderhouse, 2487 Mt St Michael Rd, Saanichton
$2 or $5/family (3 or more)
Public & Farmers’ Markets
- Bastion Square Public Markets: Thursday – Saturday: 11 AM – 5:30 PM & Sunday: 11 AM – 4 PM @
Bastion Square – Government & Wharf Street and Fort & Yates Street, Victoria
- James Bay Market: Saturdays, through September 28, 2019 | 9:00 AM – 3:00 PM @ Corner of Menzies and Superior, 494 Superior St, Victoria
- Sooke Country Market: Saturdays, through October 2019 | 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM @ Otter Point Rd at Eustace Rd, Sooke
- Moss Street Community Market: Through Saturdays, October | 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM @ Moss Street Market, 1330 Fairfield Rd, Victoria
- Peninsula Country Market: Saturdays, through October 12, 2019 at 9 AM to 01:00 PM @ Saanich Fairground, 1528 Stelly’s Cross Road, Saanichton
- Goldstream Farmer’s Market: Saturdays, through October 12, 2019 at 10:00 AM to 02:00 PM @ Goldstream Ave. and Langford Parkway, Veterans Memorial Park, Langford