Here is a short list of ideas to help you plan a pleasant evening and great night out in Calgary.
You may also find few date night ideas in this list.
Average daylight hours in Calgary: 12 – 16 hours in Summer & 8 – 11 hours in Winter.
1. Activities at Calgary Attractions: Things to do and events after 5:00 PM
– Includes activties at Calgary attractions, Escape Rooms, Board Game Cafes, Walking Tours, and more!
2. Nightlife/Clubs/Restaurants & Other Events.
Things to do / Places to See
Go for a self guided walking tour of downtown Calgary (not all attractions will be open). Walk around and see the public art work and downtown attractions like the Chinese Cultural Centre, Olympic Plaza, McDougall Centre and Peace Bridge. End your day by having dinner at River Cafe at Prince’s Island Park. Best time to do this – Late Spring to Early Fall, due to longer day light hours.
OR walk the pedestrian street Stephen Avenue Walk. Appreciate the art installations, and browse through the shops.
Enjoy the panoramic night view of Calgary city from Calgary Tower. Have a romantic dinner at the restaurant Sky 360 situated in the tower.
Enjoy a lovely evening walk or bike the RiverWalk , enjoy a picnic or just relax at the benches provided enjoying Calgary’s urban scenery, skip stones from the terraced steps leading down the riverbanks. RiverWalk travels along the south side of the Bow River from Centre Street to Fort Calgary, and from the west bank of the Elbow River to Lindsay Park.
Walk the Inglewood Bird Sanctuary trails and enjoy watching birds. This 36-hectare wildlife reserve is visited by more than 270 species of birds, and is home to 21 species of mammals, 2 amphibians, 2 reptiles, 7 species of fish and 27 species of butterflies.
Go for a thrilling ride on a Luge – a unique wheeled gravity ride that provides riders full control over their descent on a purpose built track. The Calgary Luge is the world’s longest Luge track.
From Victoria Day Weekend to Thanksgiving Weekend or more (weather permitting) until 8:00 PM in July & August and 07:00 PM otherwise.
If you want to give your brain a workout,, attend ‘Adults Only Night’ at the Telus Spark. The event is held on the second Thursday of every month from 6:00 p.m. – 10:00pm. Adults only Night is also a good for date night.
If you have a car with you, visit Rothney Astrophysical Observatory. Throughout three moonless nights in July & August, dark skies will allow viewing of the Milky Way. The evenings will begin with a presentation on what’s up the sky. The Observatory also holds open house nights once a month (February – November) with talks, fun activities, and a chance to look through the telescopes.
Enjoy a free concert at Heritage Town Square (front of Heritage Park before the gates in the Engineered Air Bandstand.)
Upcoming: Music in the Plaza – Wednesday evenings, July 6 until August 31, 2016 | 6:00 PM – 8:00 PM – Free Concert – Details
Go on a date on Captain’s Cruises – An opportunity to set sail on Calgary’s only paddlewheel boat and enjoy the breathtaking views of the Glenmore Reservoir & the majestic Rocky Mountains. Sample gourmet hors d’oeuvres and taste a selection of beer & wines while listening to the delights of a live jazz band. (Dress code – Business Casual)
July 21, 28 & August 4, 11, 18, 25, 2016 | 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM – Details
Enjoy shopping, street food and music at Inglewood Night Market – With two full blocks of arts and crafts vendors, local farm produce, crazily creative trunk sales, artists at work, tantalizing street food and live music, it’s much more than a market, it’s a happening.
2016 – Girls Night: May 5th; Night Market: June 10, July 8, August 12, September 9, 2016 | 06:00 PM onwards.
Enjoy Behind the Scenes Tour of collections storage areas of Glenbow Museum, or participate it Art on the Rocks, a themed event based on the current exhibition at Glenbow that includes an after-hours, art making party, DJ, and a cash bar. Details
Shop/ Window shop at 17th Ave SW (between Calgary Stampede Grounds and 14 Street SW). This is a commercial street with great shopping options, restaurants, and nightclubs.
If casinos are more your style, try your luck at
Deerfoot Inn & Casino.
Address: 1000, 11500 – 35 Street SE Calgary. Phone: 403-236-7542.Open Daily 9:30am-3am. Free parking onsite. Deerfoot Inn & Casino showcases some of the best entertainers in the world, from the latest acts to old favorites.
The Elbow River Casino
Address : 218 18 Ave SE,Calgary, AB T2G 5P9. Hours: Daily 9:30AM to 3:00AM
2 km from downtown Calgary. Also features live music on Thursday, Friday & Saturday nights.
Enjoy outdoor skating at Olympic Plaza in downtown Calgary. It is open, until 9 p.m. daily (weather permitting). Check out the article, Winter in Calgary for a list of wonderful winter activities.
Ski or snow board at Canada Olympic Park.
Zoolights at the Calgary Zoo presented by ENMAX is one of western Canada’s most spectacular Holiday light shows. Surround your family with the beauty and splendour of over 1.5 million twinkling lights. This interactive light show immerses you in the spirit of the season and will tempt all the five senses. Gates close at 8:30 p.m.
More Christmas lights and Christmas Plays.
Other Indoor Amusements
Have a fun night out with friends or make new ones while you throw the dice at Board Game Cafes.
- Metal Galaxy Social Games & Bistro – 4624 McLeod Trail SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 253-1414. Hours: Mon-Tue-Wed: 10 am – 6 pm (Bistro open 11 am – 5 pm)
Thur-Fri-Sat: 10 am – 9pm (Bistro open 11 am – 8 pm)
Sunday: 12 pm – 7 pm (Bistro open 12 pm – 6 pm)
- Box Car Cafe – 1215 – 1st Street SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 383-0000.
Hours: Sun–Thurs: 11am–11pm
- PIPS Board Game Cafe – 2015 33 Ave SW Calgary. Ph: 587-349-0047
Hours: Mon: 4pm-10pm, Tues – Thurs: 11am-10pm, Fri: 11am- 1am
Sat: 9am- 1am, Sun: 9am- 9pm
- Exit Calgary – 880 16 Ave SW, unit 60, Calgary. Ph: 4034753948
- Breakout Calgary – 810 Centre St N, Calgary. Ph: 403-277-0596
- The Locked Room – Various Locations, Calgary. Ph: 587-387-2337
- Level 1 Escape – 517 16 Avenue Northeast, Calgary. Ph: 403-879-4617
- Escape Capers YYC – 4235 16 St SE, Calgary. Ph: 403-903-9162
- Escape 2gether – 416 Meridian Rd SE, Calgary. Ph: 403-207-5777
Drop in racing available. Address: 58 Aero Drive NE, Calgary. Ph: 403.230.3009
Hours: Sun, Tues – Thurs: 11am – 10pm, Friday & Saturday: 11am – Midnight
Team-oriented combat game using infra-red light. Details
Address: 400, 5111 Northland Drive NW, Calgary. Ph: 403-295-2772
Hours: Monday – Friday: 10:00 – 09:00 PM, Saturday: 10:00-Late, Sunday: 11:00-07:00 PM
Watch classic or independent art movies at
Globe Cinema – 617 8 Avenue Southwest, Calgary
Plaza Theatre – 1133 Kensington Rd NW. Calgary.
Test your aim at
- Calgary Archery Centre, 4855 47 St. SE, Calgary.
Hours: Monday: 4 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Tuesday – Friday: 11 a.m. to 9:30 p.m. Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Jim Bows Archery, 102 – 620 46th Ave N.E, Calgary
Hours: Tuesday – Friday: 10AM – 9PM, Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Nightlife and Other Events
Current Weekend Events
There is always something going on in Calgary, be it a concerts, sports or award winning live theatre: See the current weekend events to decide on the events you want to enjoy this weekend.
Improv Nights & Stand up Comedy
Love improv? Join for Loose Moose Theatre Company performances at second floor of the Crossroads Market, 1235 – 26th Ave. SE
or at Dirty Laundry (Improvised Soap Opera) on Monday nights at 7:30pm at Lunchbox Theatre (located at the base of the Calgary Tower).
Want to laugh your heart out after a hard day? Stop over at
Yuk Yuk’s – In The Elbow River Casino, 218 18 Ave SE, Calgary
The Comedy Cave – 9206 Macleod Trail South, Calgary
The Laugh Shop – Hotel Blackfoot, 5940 Blackfoot Trail SE, Calgary
Enjoy cocktails and party at Calgary bars/resturants as you create beautiful works of art with the help of Calgary artists. See here to join for a Paint Nite. These events are quite popular, hence you will have to plan much in advance to join for your next paint night out.
Learn something new or debunk a few myths all while having a gala time drinking with friends. Once a month. Sign up for alerts & ticket details.
Ball Room / Social Dancing
Do you want to learn to dance or just want to drop-in and have a fun time, then swing by (no experience reqd)
- Dance Energy, 1305 33 St NE #3, Calgary Ph: 403.253.6977
Hours: Social Dance/Dance Party: Fridays & Saturdays at 08:00 PM
- Ballroom & Country Dance Studio, 121c, 17th Avenue NE, Calgary Ph: (403)277-0500
Hours: Friday Night: Group Lessons – Beginner-Intermediate: 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm & Sunday Night Dance Party: 8:00 pm – Midnight
Listen to Calgary’s finest poets and have an charming night of poetry
Ink Spot Collective – Poetry Nights on the last Monday of each Month at Wine-Ohs (811 1 St SW, Calgary)
Listen to fact or fictional stories at Calgary Story Slam.
Solve a mystery over your next dinner or enjoy a play at
1.Jubilations Dinner Theatre (at the Westbrook Mall),#1002 – 37th Street SW,Calgary
2. Stage West Theatre Restaurants 727 – 42 Avenue SE, Calgary. Phone: 403-243-6642
3. Fort Calgary also holds dinner theatre on select evenings.
4. Noteworthy Nights Dinner and Music @ Heritage Park
Enjoy a gourmet, four-course plated dinner followed by an intimate live concert on select evenings at Heritage Park.
Take your friends or yourselves or join for a date night couple’s cooking class and how to cook food from around the world at
- SAIT Culinary Campus – 226, 230 8th Ave SW, Calgary. Ph: 403-284-8535
- Cuisine et Chateau – 103, 227 – 10 Street NW, Calgary . Ph: 403.764.2665
- Meez Kitchen – 5321 4th St S.E., Calgary. Ph: 403-264-6336
- The Cookbook Co Cooks – 722 11 Avenue SW, Calgary. Ph: 403 265 6066 ext. 1
- Spice Chica’s Cooking School – 1232 – 9 Avenue SE, Calgary. Ph: 403.667.9811
- ATCO Blue Flame Kitchen’s Calgary Learning Centre – 909 – 11th Avenue S.W. in Calgary. Ph: 403-245-7630
- Poppy Innovations – Various Locations. Ph: 403 919-0176
Late Night at the Plaza
Address: The Plaza Theatre, 1133 Kensington RD NW, Calgary
Cheer on Calgary’s best artists during Art Battle. Once a month. Details
Sugar Water Nights
Joining the Workshop + Bar at Theatre Junction Grand, “Sugar Water Nights” is about cultivating cocktail culture for everyone. Sip and savour from a curated menu, in a celebrated space amongst friends. Details
Select Fridays | 08:00 PM – 02:00 AM @ Theatre Junction GRAND, 608 1st St SW
A Night Out
Discover Calgary’s budding artists during Open Stage (Mic & Jam) nights, listen to upcoming bands and artists or unwind at
- Wine Ohs Bistro & Cellar – 811 1 St SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 263-1650
- The Blues Can – 1429 9 Ave SE, Calgary. Ph: (403) 262-2666
- Ironwood Stage and Grill – 1229 9 Ave SE, Calgary. Ph: (403) 269-5581
- Lolita’s Lounge – 1413 9 Ave SE, Calgary. Ph: (403) 265-5739
- Broken City – 613 11 Ave SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 262-9976
- Dickens Pub – 1000 9 Ave SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 233-7550
- Calgary Craft Beer Market – 345 10th Avenue Southwest, Calgary. Ph: (403) 514-2337
- Marquee Beer Market – 4630 Macleod Trail S, Calgary. Ph: (403) 287-2500
- Cafe Koi – 1011 1 St SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 206-1564
- Mikey’s Juke Joint & Eatery, 1901 – 10th Avenue SW, Calgary. Ph:(403) 245-8833
- Flames Central – 219 8 Ave SW, Calgary. Ph: (403) 935-2637
- The Palomino Smokehouse – 109 7th Avenue Southwest, Calgary. Ph: (403) 532-1911
- Cafe Blanca -240 Riverfront Ave SW, Calgary. Ph: 403-460-2002
A Dinner for Two
Check out restaurants listings by Calgary Tourism and try out a new cuisine or a restaurant on your next date night!