Weekend Events & Festivals in Calgary: November 23 to 25, 2018
A weekly digest of What’s On in and around Calgary this weekend including free, fun family & kids’ activities, live music, theatre & performing arts, sports and exhibitions.
City of Calgary Special Event Road Closures – Here
You may like:
- Free Things to Do in November
- November in Calgary
- Christmas Concerts in Calgary
- Christmas Theatre & Events in Calgary
You may like to visit Edmonton for Grey Cup and related festivities happening this weekend in Edmonton.
I. Family Fun Activities
Christmas/Holiday Light Displays
- Find Christmas Downtown: Get into the holiday spirit with The CORE for a special night of live entertainment, Christmas tree lighting, fireworks, and of course, Santa. on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 04:00 PM – 07:00 PM @ Core Shopping Centre
- Zoo Lights: Calgary’s brightest holiday tradition is back for its 21st year and is sure to be the most glow-tastic one yet. November 23, 2018 – January 5, 2019 @ Calgary Zoo
- The Polar Express™ Train Ride: Set to the sounds of the motion picture soundtrack, families are sure to delight in their journey to the North Pole, complete with hot chocolate and cookies served on board the train. November 23 to December 24, 2018 @ Aspen Crossing, 45 minutes southeast of Calgary
- Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat: One of the most enduring shows of all time, Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat is a reimagining of the Biblical story of Joseph, his father Jacob, eleven brothers and the coat of many colours. November 23 to December 29, 2018 @ Beddington Theatre Arts Centre
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer: Join Stage West for the children’s version of dinner theatre. For starters, Stage West displays an incredible “kids buffet” complete with all the favourites … hot dogs, pizza, Jell-O, ice cream and much more. The buffet is then followed by a live child-oriented performance with plenty of humour for parents as well.
- Once Upon a Christmas: Enjoy a scenic horse-drawn wagon ride around the Park, take in live historical theatre, sing carols in the church and don’t forget to visit jolly old Saint Nick and his reindeer! Discover the magic of Christmas past as four historical family homes open their doors to share their Yuletide traditions. Saturdays & Sundays, November 24 – December 23, 2018 @ Heritage Park
When a young woman must spin straw into gold she receives help from a strange little man. Can anyone guess his name?
Weekends – November 3 to 25, 2018
Loose Moose Theatre, Calgary
At the library
Calgary Public library offers plenty of free activities to choose from for all ages including toddler story times. Plan ahead to attend some of the free activities in the following weekends:
Details and link for registration.
Airdrie Public Library
Okotoks Public Library
2.By Calgary Recreation – Drop in Programs
Cineplex family Favourites: Visit participating Cineplex theatres near you on Saturdays at 11:00 AM and watch a family favourite film each week for only $2.99.
4. Photos With Santa
November 16 – December 23 @ The Food Lodge, Deerfoot City. Details
More To Do
II. Live Music
EDM/Concert Tours/Weekday Concerts
- Rocky Mountain High – An Evening of John Denver on Monday, November 19th 7:30 PM – 10:00 PM @ Arts Commons Jack Singer Concert Hall
- Steven Wilson on Monday, November 19, 2018 | 8:00 PM @ The Palace Theatre
- Hey Ocean! on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 | 9:00 PM @ Commonwealth Bar & Stage
- Kait Shane Duo on Thursdays, Nov 22 | 7:00 – 10:00 PM @ Hotel Blackfoot
- The Flatliners on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 7:00 PM @ Commonwealth Bar
- Yotto on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 10:30 PM @ Commonwealth Bar
- The Dungarees on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 8:00 PM @ King Eddy
- Singer songwriter night on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 07:00 PM – 09:00 PM @ Gravity Espresso & Wine Bar
- Quartette on Friday, November 23, 2018 | 7:30 PM @ Dalhousie Community Centre
- Stiff Little Fingers, the Mahones on Friday, November 23, 2018 | 9:30 PM @ Dickens Pub
- Jauz on Friday, November 23, 2018 | 9:00 PM @ The Palace Theatre
- Dala on Friday, November 23, 2018 | 7:30 PM @ Southwood United Church
- Laila Biali with opener Andrea Nixon on Saturday,November 24, 2018 | 7:00 PM @ Crescent Heights Community Hall
- Walker & Royce on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 9:00 PM @ HIFI Club
- Paul van Dyk on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 9:00 PM @ The Palace Theatre
- RIA MAE on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 7:30 PM @ Commonwealth Bar and Stage
- Strumbellas on November 24, 2018 | 8:00 PM @ Big Four Roadhouse
- The Wardens on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 7:00 PM @ Bert Church Live – Airdrie
- Nico Brennan Trio LIVE on Friday, November 24, 2018 | 07:00 PM – 09:30 PM @ Gravity Espresso & Wine Bar
- Joey Landreth on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 9:00 PM @ The Gateway
- Palaye Royale on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 6:00 PM @ Royal Canadian Legion #1
- Celtic Folk Concert – Folks Near The Bow on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 7:00 PM @ Calgary Irish Culture Centre
- Tim Hicks – Get Loud Tour on Monday, November 26, 2018 | 6:30 PM @ The Palace Theatre
The Hits of The Who
The Who managed to be punk, mod, and pop – but most of all an iconic rock band. For one night only, Jeans ‘n Classics joins forces with the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra to bring you hits like Baba O’Reilly, My Generation, and selections from the rock opera Tommy. Don’t miss out as classic rock meets orchestra in celebration of one of the most influential rock bands of the 20th century. Details
Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 7:30 PM
Jack Singer Concert Hall, Arts Commons
$25 and up
Come and enjoy this Spanish cultural evening while sipping on a glass of wine, savouring a tapa or delighting in a pre-show dinner to complete your cultural experience. This performance will also have an opening act featuring two emerging artists. Details
Saturday November 24, 2018 | 6:30 PM
Junction – 628 8th Avenue SW, Calgary
$13 to $30
Benefit Concert & Festival of Trees
Join us for a festive, family friendly night of music, trees and stories of hope. Music from Jason Fowler, Hope’s Creed, and Harp Angel. Dessert & coffee included. Details
Sunday, November 25, 2018 | 6:00PM – 9:00 PM
First Alliance Church, 12345 40 St SE, Calgary
III. Theatre & Performing Arts
- Theatre Guide
- Star Warz: The Farce Strikes Back @ Jubilations Dinner Theatre – Calgary
- Jake’s Gift on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 | 7:00 PM @ Bert Church Live, Airdrie
Winners and Losers
Winners and Losers is one part game, one part conversation that leans into our universally flawed human logic, and the desire to win at all costs. Valerie Planche and Makambe K. Simamba, two powerhouse performers at different stages of life and careers, debate whether people, places or things – Robin Williams, camping, Meghan Markle, private schools – are winners or losers. This exploration of female friendships leads us down a spiralling path of staunch sisterhood and deep-seated difference.
November 13-25, 2018
Engineered Air Theatre, Arts Commons, Calgary
PWYC to $25
Corps Bara presents Facing the Light
Corps Bara Dance Theatre presents Facing the Light, a fully immersive and collaborative evening of visual art, dance and artisan creations centred around the theme of exploring the intersection of darkness and light.
November 22-24, 2018
cSpace King Edward Theatre
1721 29 Ave SW, Calgary
Happy Death Day
Happy Death Day is a murder mystery by Calgary’s own Louis Hobson. Although better known as the Entertainment Critic for the Calgary Herald and Calgary Sun, Louis is also a playwright. His play, The Steven Truscott Story, was well received (in fact nearly sold out) when it played in Calgary several years ago. Details
November 23 to December 1, 2018
Pumphouse Theatre, 2140 Pumphouse Ave SW, Calgary
$20 to $25
Starfleet Confidential: An Improvised Star Trek
Join the crew of the USS Callipygian to seek out new laughs and new comedic situations in this loving parody of the Star Trek franchise. Each episode is written on-the-spot, inspired by an audience member’s suggestion of a title. Details
Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 08:00 PM – 10:00 PM
The Alexandra Centre
922 9th Ave SE, Calgary
$5 – $10
Calgary Opera’s ROMÉO & JULIETTE
Gounod’s tribute to Shakespeare’s classic, this tragic tale of romance between two young lovers caught in the middle of feuding families comes vividly to life with Calgary Opera. A deeply human story with enduring themes of love, fate, and tragedy, this production incorporates extended ballet, and a rich cast of opera stars.
November 17, 21, 23, 2018
Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, Calgary
$38 to $164
Tony & Tina’s Wedding
Tony n’ Tina’s Wedding is a one-of-a-kind night of entertainment – an immersive comedy show staged as an evening of nuptials for two Italian-American families. It invites the audience to actively participate in all festivities: everyone is a welcome guest at the ceremony and reception, there’s real food, real dance, and real mingling with the cast of loveable characters.
Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 6:30 PM
Deerfoot Inn & Casino – 1000, 11500 – 35 Street SE, Calgary
$103.95 – $114.45
Dracula: The Bloody Truth
Professor Abraham Van Helsing leaps off the pages of Dracula and onto the stage to tell you, dear theatre-goer: Bram Stoker’s novel had it all wrong! At last, Van Helsing hopes to set the record straight and bring the ‘truth’ of the legendary vampire and his terrifying story to light…even if he only has three amateur actors to help him do it!
November 10- December 9, 2018
Vertigo Theatre, 115 9 Ave SE, Calgary
$29 to $65
IV. Sports & Related Events
vs. Vegas Golden Knights on Monday, November 19, 2018 | 7:00 PM
vs. Winnipeg Jets on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 | 8:00 PM
Scotiabank Saddledome 555 Saddledome Rise SE
The Lake Louise Audi FIS Ski World Cup
The fastest ski racers in the world return to Lake Louise eager to compete against the mountain, the clock and themselves. The Lake Louise Audi FIS Ski World Cup is notorious for its epic early season snow.
November 24 to December 2, 2018
Lake Louise Ski Resort
V. Exhibitions, Festivals & Other Events
You may like:
- Home for the Holidays Floral Design on Wednesday November 21st, 7-830pm @ Inglewood Florist, 1428 9th Ave SE, Calgary
- Stuff Your Stockings Workshop on Wednesday, November 21, 2018 | 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM @ Pinnovate DIY Studio
- Wreaths & Wines: Indoor night market with local artisan vendors, Wine and cheese pairing, Christmas punch tasting (with recipes to take home!) on Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 5:30 PM – 9:30 PM @ Festival Hall
- Essential Oil Bracelet Making Workshop on Saturday, November 24, 2018 | 7pm – 9pm @ Transition Wellness, 112 Flett Place NE, Airdrie
Christmas Markets & Holiday Craft Fairs
There are more than 15 markets happening this weekend including The VegFest Holiday Market, Curated. WINTER Market, Spruce Meadows International Christmas Market, Christmas Market and Festival of Trees, Calgary Farmers Christmas Market and more! See Christmas Markets in Calgary for more details.
Dinner in the Dark Gala
An evening to benefit families living in energy poverty! A three-course meal is provided, catered by CharBar!
Thursday, November 22, 2018 | 05:30 PM – 08:30 PM
TELUS Spark -The New Science Centre
220 St. Georges’s Drive NE, Calgary
Banff Craft Beer Festival
Embrace the mountain lifestyle at the Banff Craft Beer Festival that showcases over 40 of Alberta’s unique Craft Breweries and Distilleries.
November 22 to 24, 2018
Cave and Basin National Historic Site, Banff
$19.99 to $79.99
Calgary Taboo Show
The Taboo Naughty but Nice Sex Show provides an upscale adult playground dedicated to enhancing lifestyles, encouraging romance, personal betterment and all things Taboo. Enjoy entertainment, provocative and educational seminars, unique shopping, fashion shows and LIVE demonstrations.
November 22 to 25, 2018
20 Roundup Way SW, Calgary
Hosted by Nirmala Naidoo, this year’s event will be loaded with delicious food, complimentary mimosas, top notch entertainment, and BIG new ways to give the Gift of Mentoring to kids in our community who need it the most.
November 24, 2018 | 10:00 AM
The Westin Calgary
Sarabeth Carnat: Sublime: Internationally recognized artist Sarabeth Carnat showcases her talent in “Sublime”, an exhibition of unique, wearable metal paintings of the Alberta landscape along with elegant, fine jewellery creations using exquisite and unusual stones. on Nov 3rd – Dec 29th, 2018 @ he Blackboard Gallery. Details
Fractured Mandalas: Patterns of Life: Stacey Maddock’s designs are inspired by the spirituality of nature and mandalas. Mesmerizing patterns broken or interrupted. Rather than disruptive, these interruptions contribute to the richness, reflecting the ebb and flow of life. October 11 to November 30, 2018 @ The Blackboard Gallery, cSpace, #225, 1721 29th Ave SW, Calgary. Details
More To Do
We do try to make the listings as accurate as possible, but there may be oversight errors or events may get postponed/cancelled without notice. Verify all details from concerned Event Websites/officials before travelling.