It’s winter in Alberta. It’s cold, we get it. That doesn’t mean every date night needs to be take-out and binging You on Netflix. Change it up with these 25 Winter Date Ideas in Calgary.
We’ve got outdoor suggestions for those beautiful, must-get-some-fresh-air winter days, and indoor ideas for those chilly cold snaps. Whether you like live music,learning something new, sports, or classic cocktails, we’ve got something that’ll get the sparks flying. If it’s the first date or the 100th, read on to shake up date night this winter. Let us know if you check them all off!
- Bowness Park: Get ready for a winter wonderland! Make some hot cocoa and head to Bowness Park. They have an ice skating rink, cross country ski trails, and even a place to practice outdoor curling. It’s the perfect place for some romantic pics and quiet moments enjoying the winter season.
- Sky 360: Keep the romancerolling with a beautiful dinner at Sky 360,the rotating restaurant at the top of the Calgary Tower.Get an epic view of the winter wonderland below, all while enjoying a top notch meal, with the best company around: your amazing date.
- Snowshoeing at Bow Habitat Station: Deep in the Pearce Estate Park are many natural trails available for the adventurous couple. Through the Interpretive Wetland, keep your eyes peeled for local wildlife. At just $6 a pair, snowshoeing is an awesome way to spend time together all while seeing more of Calgary.
You may like:Valentine’s Day in Calgary
- Winsport: Love the snow? Bring your date to Winsport. Try skiing or snowboarding, or, if that’s not your thing, the tube park is a super fun afternoon of childlike entertainment, complete with a food truck for those afternoon cravings. Besides, a cold day just might lead to a hot night.
- Inglewood Adventure:Startat Rosso Coffee Roasters, grab a delicious coffee, head to the river for a scenic winter wonderland, then pop back up and enjoy the many fun shops. Go record collecting, plant shopping, vintage clothes discovering, and much more. End the day with a fresh beer at Dandy Brewing, offering fine dining and romantic lighting.
- Try Fat Bike Riding: Calgary has amazing trails and pathways, and they shouldn’t go to waste in the winter! Try fat bikes. Bikes with extra wide and durable tires so you can ride anywhere. Take them over to Sandy Beach, pack a picnic, and breathe in that fresh air: full of life and full of love. $35 for a day rental.
- YYC Hot Chocolate Fest: This one means you’re in it for the long haul: trying specialty hot chocolates from cafes and restaurantsall over the city and voting for the best one. Check the site for participants, and try them all throughout the month of February.A portion of all sales go to Meals on Wheels.
- Winter Walk through Fish Creek Provincial Park: There’s no better time to ask your partner those hard hitting questions – like do you like pineapple on pizza – than when you’re going for a walk in nature. Let the calming winter scene at Fish Creek Provincial Parkunfold before you as you get to know each other on a beautiful stroll. Bring a thermos of hot cocoa for an extra treat.
- Open Mic Night at Two House Brewing: New in town, Two House Brewingoffers great beers, Una Pizza delivers, and their open mic night is a ton of fun. Whether or not you want to get up and play a couple tunes, it’s a friendly atmosphere that is sure to break the ice. Try the Cherry Bomb and the lemon pepper chips, to share.
- High Performance Rodeo: This epic festivalboasts amazing artists of all kinds to wipe away the winter blues. Check out the site for schedules and venues all over the city, on now until January 26. Grab your arts loving beau and discover some new talent, new shows, and new romance.
- Studio Bell:This unique date idea is perfect for music lovers and history geeks alike. For just $20 each, you can explore this massive collection of instruments, Canadian music paraphernalia, and interactive exhibitions that get you playing music and buzzing with excitement. Great idea for those chilly afternoons when bae is getting restless.
- Block Heater: Calgary Folk Music Festival presents Block Heater.This awesome music festival offers incredible talent, at indoor stages all across Inglewood and Downtown. Check out DJ Shub, Hannah Georgas, Chad VanGaalen, and many others. Match a show with a restaurant listed below, and you’ve got a romantic evening all planned out!
- Comedy Night at Broken City: Getting to know someone’s funny bone is pretty important. This Calgary staple is perfect for a relaxed and fun date night. Every Monday, Broken Cityhosts an open mic style comedy night that never fails to impress. They have an upscale pub style menu and great local beers on tap. $5 cover.
- Drag Show at High Level Brewing: Have you been to a drag show in Calgary? If not, you have to go. They are super fun, totally outrageous, and something you’ll never forget. Why not share that with your special someone? Highlinepresents QUEERS4BEERS every Sunday in their intimate tasting room. Enjoy amazing local beers and bring your growler to refill so you can keep the party going after close.
- Pigeonhole: We get it, you’re a couple of foodies that want that wow factor. This is it! Just take a look at that menuand try and tell us there’s nothing on there you haven’t already tried. A truly unique take on fine dining, this tapas style menu is sure to spark some interest.
- Dog Walk to Cold Garden: What better way to get to know someone than a nice winter walk with your furry friends? Start off on the river pathway south of 9th Ave SE and then turn south into 12th St SE, and ta-da! You’re at Cold Garden: the most dog friendly microbrewery around. Have a cold one, settle into their living room style seating, and start talking names for your future pup.
- Spark After Dark: Spark After Dark is the Telus Spark adult night! Every second Thursday, Spark opens its doors to the 18+ only crowd for a night of cocktails, music, and all kinds of chemistry. They have a special Valentine’s offer including a meal called the Lover’s Feast. February 13th, $95 for the meal and entry, or $26 just for entry.
- Rouge: This rustic upscale restaurant offers truly delightful farm to fork dishes. This is a full dining experience, not just a meal. Get ready for perfection. Plus, it’s perfectly located for a romantic after dinner walk next to the Bow River.
- Plant Terrarium Workshop: Bring some green into your love life with Calgary’s favourite plant shop! Enjoy a fun atmosphere and let your creative side shine. Build a terrarium,eat some cheese, drink some wine, fall in love. There is a variety of workshops, including a special Valentine’s Day (or Galentine’s Day) event. You can even pick up a love fern while you’re there. Prince range from $40-$75 per person.
- Greta Bar: Date night at Greta baris fun all year! But it’s especially fun in the winter if you’re not a snowbird. Get inside, warm up with some local beers, have some grub off their internationally inspired menu, and play a few arcade games to break the ice. They even have a special Date Night offer.
- Hexagon Board Game Cafe: This awesome spot in Kensington offer loads of different games, from Scrabble to Catan to Exploding Kittens. Great for an escalated coffee date when it’s -25. $2.50 per hour, per person gets you unlimited game play and maybe a second date if you’ve got game.
- Plaza Theatre in Kensington: Mix up the ol’ movie theatre date with a visit to this amazing Calgary institution. Get back to the simple days of popcorn and m&m’s, great films, and making out in the back corner of the theatre. Let is snow, we’ve got cover. Tickets $11 each.
- The Living Room Restaurant: Forget boring dinners: try something new at The Living Room.With interactive options like fondue, chef’s tasting events, and their absolutely amazing cocktail menu, your date will certainly think you’re anything but ordinary.
- Hockey and Lacrosse Games: If you and your date simply can’t get enough winter sportsin your life, check out a Flames game, or try a WHL Hitmen game! No drama here: just real, honest hockey players doing what they do best. Or, hit up a Roughnecks game. Guaranteed fun with music playing, beers flowing, and a fun fan base celebrating our national sport.
- Cooking Class for Couples: Let the folks at The Cookbook Co. Cooksshow you the ropes in the kitchen. With a wide array of classes, from beginner to “perfecting paella”, there’s something for every cook. And, with their couples classes, you can become superstars in the kitchen, together.
By: Carrie is a freelance writer and editor who enjoys writing songs, cooking new vegan dishes, and being a plant mom. She loves living in Calgary and pretending she likes the snow.