Wondering what to do with kids during school breaks, or summer holidays in Parkland County? Here are 25 things to do that not only help children learn and develop their life skills but make sure that they also have lots of fun.
–In no particular order!
- University of Alberta Botanic Gardens: Explore the famed gardens! In addition to many themed gardens, it also features an outdoor café and The Tropical Showhouse with several species of butterflies. They even have a specific children’s map to help you find all the areas that most intrigue children of all ages.
- Edmonton Corn Maze: This outdoor activity is a great way to reduce screen time while having a blast. Besides the maze itself, there are tractor rides, farm-themed games and farm animals to provide hours of fun. There is also a concession stand and picnic areas available.
- Saskatoon Valley Orchards: Go pick Saskatoon Berries or Evans Cherries at Saskatoon Valley Orchards. Phone: (780) 963-8311.
- Aerials Gymnastics: This gymnastics studio, in addition to programs, also has many drop-in classes. It’s a fun way to get your children active while having a lot of fun.
- Northern Alberta Sailing College: Learn how to sail with your kids with Edmonton Yacht Club, located on the western shore of Lake Wabamun, in the village of Seba Beach.
- Putting Horse Ranch: Visit the Ranch for a round of golf as well as guided horseback riding. They also have an experience called Hands on Horse, where children get to brush and ride a horse while their parent leads them around the pen. It’s an excellent way to introduce your child to horses.
- Young Guns Paintball: Wondering what to do with teens? Why not go paint balling! Play one of the 18 of the most amazingly unique playing areas available at any paintball centre in Canada. A fun, engaging and challenging game that will provide hours of family fun. You have the option to either make a reservation or just drop in during business hours for a quick game.
- Crock A Doodle: This is a wonderful way for your children to embrace their creativity. You simply drop-in with your kids, select the pottery you want and then paint it. They will do the rest and the pottery is often done the next day.
- Bunchberry Meadows Conservation Area.: This conservation site is the natural habitat for many species of birds, mammals and reptiles. It is open daily from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. to explore while hiking, cross-country skiing and snowshoeing.
- Smitty’s Family Restaurant: This restaurant has a full menu with lots of delicious meals for the whole family, however, their breakfast is certainly worth the trip. Widely known for their pancakes and waffles, it is a perfect place to bring your little ones. Its relaxing and welcoming atmosphere is kid-friendly.
- The Grove Berry Patch: : Call ahead to check readiness of the fruits and then join the Jones family in celebrating growing season by picking berries and garden vegetables. Ph: (780) 962-5824
- Stony Plain & District Pioneer Museum Society: Explore this museum that paints a wonderful picture of what life was like for pioneers in this part of the country at the beginning of the 20thCentury. Features several pioneer-era buildings and around 10,000 artifacts depicting pioneer life.
- Rotary Playscape : : Visit this delightful playground with your little ones!
- Ice Skating: Parkland County is home to several outdoor rinks during the cold winter months. Even once the hot weather is here, many of the arenas in the area offer public skating hours. Skating is a great way to have fun as a family and get exercise at the same time.
- Clifford E. Lee Nature Sanctuary: This large parcel of protected marshlands, forests and meadows provides a relaxing and scenic adventure. Features a boardwalk, walking trails and a picnic area. This is a great place to discover several of Alberta’s species of birds, animals and plants.
- Wabamun Waterfront Park : Located on thee beach of Wabamun Lake, the park features a large picnic area, large playground and a water spray park. There is also a boat launch for any family who loves boating.
- Wabamun Provincial Park: If you decide you want to stay even longer at Wabamun Lake, then you can always book a campsite at the Provincial Park. You will have access to the day use area, and there are bathroom/shower facilities throughout the park. They even have a convenience store in the campground main office.
- Spruce Grove Grain Elevator Museum: This museum is part of Alberta’s comprehensive agricultural history. As the last remaining wooden grain elevator close to the railroad in the Edmonton area, it is a great place to learn the history of the farming pioneers who settled this part of Canada.
- Get Hooked Fishing Adventures: This is a year-round all-inclusive guided fishing service located in Spruce Grove. They provide a fun fishing experience in either the many lakes of the area or the North Sask. River. Also, they provide the possibility to discover local fossil beds while teaching you about the history of the area.
- The Tri Leisure Centre: : Be fit and active! Or visit the Stony Plain Public Outdoor Swimming Pool to splash down the pool!
- Splash Pads: In addition to the public pools in the area, there are now several splash pads available in the area. These facilities will provide both parents and kids many fun-filled hours during the summer months.
- Big Rock Berry Farm: This is a family-owned and operated farm where you can either go and pick the fruits and berries for yourself or you can purchase pre-picked baskets. It is a great way to teach your children where food comes from while also having fun with them too.
- Sports Fields: Put away that electronics and enjoy physical activity! Use the many public soccer fields, baseball diamonds, and tennis courts!
- Prospectors Point Day-use Park: Located on the North Saskatchewan River within Parkland County, this Day Park is a great place for the outdoors-loving family. You can go hiking, canoeing, fishing, or simply relax on the beach. There are also firepits available to have a nice BBQ.
- Have a beach day at Seba Beach and get the best ice cream around from Seba Beach Icecream Stop.
You may like:
25 Date Ideas in parkland County