Google has analysed location data from billions of Google users’ phones from around the world and has released mobility reports to help the public and health authorities understand how social distancing guidance is working related to COVID-19. Google has released reports for 131 countries and regions.
Google has said that insights in these reports are created with aggregated, anonymized sets of data from users who have turned on the Location Historysetting, which is off by default.
The report released on April 2, highlights data collected 2 to 3 days earlier prior. The baseline is the median value, for the corresponding day of the week, during the 5-week period Jan 3–Feb 6, 2020.
CANADIAN MOBILITY DATA
According to Google, this is how Canadians behaved as COVID-19 upended lifestyles of people across the world:
- 59% reduction in travel to places like restaurants, cafes, shopping centers, theme parks, museums, libraries, and movie theaters.
- 35% reduction in places like grocery markets, food warehouses, farmers markets, specialty food shops, drug stores,and pharmacies.
- 16% reduction to places like national parks, public beaches, marinas, dog parks, plazas, and public gardens.
- 66% reduction in traffic to places like public transport hubs such as subway, bus, and train stations
- 44% reduction in traffic to places of work.
- 14% increase in traffic for places of residence.
You may like:
- Canada Announces Eligibility Criteria For 75% Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy
- How to Apply For Canada Emergency Response Benefit When it Launches on April 6
HOW THE PROVINCES DID
In March, residents of British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Saskatchewan visited parks more than the residents of other provinces. Overall, there have been more than -50% reduction in traffic to retail & recreation places and transit hubs with an increase of more than 10% increase in residential stays.
British Columbia Google Mobility Report
Alberta Google Mobility Report
Saskatchewan Google Mobility Report
Manitoba Google Mobility Report
Ontario Google Mobility Report
Quebec Google Mobility Report
New Brunswick Google Mobility Report
Prince Edward Island Google Mobility Report
Nova Scotia Google Mobility Report
Newfoundland and Labrador Google Mobility Report
Yukon Google Mobility Report
Northwest Territories Google Mobility Report
Nunavut Google Mobility Report