In order to combat the rate of spread of COVID-19, City of Calgary declared a state of local emergencyon Sunday, March 15, 2020, and closed all city-owned and operated fitness facilities, pools and recreation centres.
The city announced that if residents are struggling to pay water bills during this time, they can contact ENMAX, contracted billing provider, at 310-2010 to discuss various options. Water Utility customers will not have their water service disconnected for non-payment during this time.
Additional measures were announced by the City of Calgary to reduce interactions and protect city workers while maintaining essential services.
Response measures announced on March 19th:
Waste & Recycling Services
Waste & Recycling Services will be making some changes to waste collection and landfill disposal, including:
- Green cart collection will remain at every other week (instead of switching to weekly collection in April). No extra bags of yard waste will be picked up starting March 24, 2020.
- Black carts are collected every other week. No extra bags of garbage will be picked up starting March 24, 2020.
- Blue carts are collected every week.
- City landfills (Shepard, East Calgary and Spyhill) will stay on the six-day schedule, however only credit and debit cards are now accepted for payment.
- The City’s no cost spay/neuter program has been suspended. All previously scheduled appointments for this program are now canceled and indefinitely postponed.
- Currently, the Animal Services Centre remains open to the public.
- No stray animals should be brought to the facility unless it is injured or in distress, and cannot be taken to a veterinary clinic.
- If you believe your animal has been impounded and are sending a designate to claim your pet, please call ahead to notify the shelter. Your designate must present photo ID at the time of pick up.
- The Fair Entry site at the Municipal Building is now closed. The site at the Village Square Leisure Centre is unavailable with the closure of this facility.
- After March 20, all applications and Fair Entry services must be made by phone, online, or by mail or fax. Please call 311 to get one-on-one assistance, including assistance in a language other than English.
Planning & Development service counter
- Effective March 19, 2020, the Planning and Development counter is temporarily closed.
- Applications are accepted only by secure drop-off, or through online systems at apply.calgary.ca.
- Planning & Development service counter are still operating normal business hours. Support continues to be available by phone and live chat.