Alberta government has once again imposed a state of emergency on November 24th to comat record-high rates of COVID-19 infections in the province.
Starting Jan 18th: Personal and wellness services, including hair salons and tattoo parlours, can open by appointment only. Outdoor social gatherings will be allowed in groups of up to 10 people.
Starting Feb 8th: Alberta has announced a four-step plan to reopen with some COVID-19 public health measures easing on Feb 8th like indoor fitness centres, school sports, and restaurants and bars.
- Masks are mandatory for all indoor workplaces.
- Masks are mandatory on public transit, public vehicles (for-hire) and in all public indoor spaces at all Edmonton area cities/towns as per the local bylaws.
- All indoor – public and private – are prohibited.
- Close contacts are limited to household members only.
- Outdoor social gatherings will be allowed in groups of up to 10 people from Jan 18th
- Number of people who can attend funerals is increasing to 20, although receptions are still prohibited from Jan 18th
Alberta Capital Region Services:
- Edmonton Valley Zoo — Closed
- Public Libraries — Closed
- Lost or impounded cats and dogs – Open with restrictions
- Arenas — Closed
- Arts Centres — Closed
- Registered programs — Currently unavailable
- Athletic parks — Closed
- Pools, weight rooms and cardio — Closed
- Cross-country skiing and snowshoeing — Open
- Disc golf courses — Open
- Outdoor Skateparks — Open
WHAT IS CLOSED
- Banquet halls
- Conference centre
- Trade shows
- Auditoria and concert venues
- Non-approved/licensed markets
- Community centres except for School-related children’s sports and activities
- All levels of sport except for School-related children’s sports and activities (professional, semi-professional, collegiate/universities and amateur) unless given an exemption by the chief medical officer of health.
- Festivals and Events
- Movie theatres
- Museums and galleries
- Indoor entertainment centres including amusement parks, water parks, bingo halls and racing centres
WHAT ARE OPEN WITH RESTRICTIONS
- Places of worship with 15% of firecode capacity
- All retail stores including Grocery stores, Pharmacies, Clothing stores, Computer and technology stores, Hardware, Automotive, Farmers markets, with 15% of fire-code capacity
- One-on-one training will be permitted in fitness gyms, dance studios and skating rinks. No drop-in for individuals or groups is allowed.
No sports games, competitions, team practice, league play or group exercise of any kind.
- People from the same household can dine in restaurants, cafes and pubs, with liquor service ending at 10 p.m. and dining at 11 p.m.
- School-related children’s sports and activities will be allowed to use off-site facilities.
- Personal and wellness services, including hair salons and tattoo parlours, can open by appointment from Jan 18th. Appointments should be limited to one-on-one services. Walk-in services are not permitted. Businesses must follow all current public health guidance.
- Personal services include:
- esthetics, manicure, pedicure, body waxing, make-up
- body, nose and ear piercing, and tattoos
- artificial tanning and spray tanning
- facial, eyebrow and eyelash treatments
- cosmetic skin and body treatments
- laser hair and tattoo removal
- hairstyling and barbering
- Wellness services include:
- floatation tanks
- colonic irrigation
- Personal services include:
- Professional services such as lawyers, mediators, accountants and photographers: open by appointment only and not permitted to offer walk-in services.
- Hotels may remain open but must follow restrictions – no spas, pools or in-person dining. Room services only.
- Parks, Ski Hills – Open
- Outdoor recreation like outdoor skating rinks.
- Health services, including physiotherapy or acupuncture, social or protective services, shelters for vulnerable persons, emergency services, child care, and not-for-profit community kitchens or charitable kitchens will remain open for in-person attendance.
Parks to Visit in Edmonton:
- Must-Visit Nature Attractions In And Around Edmonton
- Birding Locations In and Around Edmonton
- 25 of the Best Hikes in and around Edmonton