The Silver Skate Festival is a 10-day, family-oriented festival in Edmonton’s scenic river valley. Rooted in Dutch winter traditions, the festival combines sport (especially skating), arts and culture, and recreation. Celebrating its 29th anniversary in 2019, the Silver Skate Festival is the longest running winter festival in Edmonton. Over the years, it has grown in leaps and bounds, from a small skating event to a large-scale, winter extravaganza.
Each year, the festival transforms Hawrelak Park into a winter wonderland with fun for the entire family. Here, you’ll discover breathtaking snow sculpture, winter sports, and horse-drawn sleighs carrying families through the park. Sit in a Cree Winter Camp and cook bannock over an open fire. Compete in the Winter triathlon or speed skating events. Take in live music and theatrical performances with your friends and loved ones. Our festival activities are as diverse as the people who call our Northern community home.
THINGS TO DO
1.Have fun filled weekends with the free family fun activities like sleigh rides, face painting and more!
2. See the wonderful sculptures created during the festival.
3. Participate or cheer the participants of Edmonton Winter Triathlon , Marathon Skate Races or the Kortebaan Races.
4. Enjoy the Fire Sculpture. Each day features a different team of artists and each day presents a different interpretation of the story, “The Land of the Golden Apples”.
5. Be entertained during the Folk Trail in the park with dance, musical performances and spectacles of light.
6. Celebrate Edmonton’s rich culture at the Heritage village. There will be music, entertainment, Dog sledding, Blacksmith demonstrations, and Aboriginal culture and traditions showcase.
7. Have romantic day out during Valentine’s Day week!
8. Enjoy the best of Canadian and international cinema with winter, alpine, and polar themes of any genre and style for all audiences.
9. Enjoy food and drink inside the heated tent where live music will be performed, or outdoors in a snow-walled courtyard with fire pits and entertainment during Spirits on Ice.
10. Cheer Rob McLeod during Frisbee on Ice.
11. Join us for the 5th annual Snowshoe Run/Walk in 2019! There are distances for all levels: 10km, 5km and the family-friendly 1km walk/run.
12. Join for the Lantern Walk, make your own lantern ($2 ea.) from 4-7pm, to carry during the Walk starting at 7:30pm.
13. Leave your regrets at the Leaving Tree.
14.Go on Sleigh Rides through picturesque Hawrelak Park.
WHEN & WHERE
February 8‑18, 2019 – Event schedule
(The following information might vary due to weather. Check official website)
Heritage Village: February 9-10 & 16-18, 2019 – Weekends & Family Day: 12pm – 6pm
Folk Trail : February 9-10 & 15-17, 2019 | 4pm to 10pm
Fire Sculpture: February 8-10 & 15-17, 2019 | 7:45pm to 8pm
Kortebaan: February 10, 2019 | 2pm
Performances: February 8-10 & 15-18, 2019
Edmonton Winter Triathlon: February 18, 2019 | 9:30am
Dead Cold Run: February 18, 2019 | 10am
FatBike Fest: February 18, 2019 | 2pm
Snowshoe Races: February 16, 2019 | 10am
Horse Drawn Sleigh Rides: February 9-10 & 16 to 18, 2019 | 12pm to 4pm
Silver Skate Festival Location
The festival is held at William Hawrelak Park, 9930 Groat Road Northwest, Edmonton
Designated Parking areas. (space will be limited during events)
The Silver Skate Festival is offering a Free Park n’ Ride service on weekends, every 25 minutes from:
University Transit Centre (ETS Bus Stop #2636)
Westbound on 87 Ave at 114 St (Butterdome)
U of A Windsor Parkade on 116 St northbound at 93 Ave
Hawrelak Park DATS loop
Eastbound on 87 Ave at 117 St (Lister Hall) Shuttles run Feb 9, 10, 16–18; every 30 minutes from 9amnoon, every 15 minutes from 12pm-9:15pm (ends 6:15pm on Feb 18).