The winners of the eleventh annual Canadian Whisky Awards which recognize the very best Canadian whiskies have been announced and nine independent whisky experts named Canada’s oldest whisky, Canadian Club Chronicles as Canadian Whisky of the Year.
The 43-year-old whisky also won the Connoisseur Whisky of the Year Domestic Market and Best Blended Whisky awards. A 750 mL bottle of Canadian Club 43-Year-Old costs approximately $320.00 online at LCBO.
J.P. Wiser’s 22-Year-Old Port Cask Finished claimed Cask Strength Whisky of the year (~$149.95), and Pendleton Director’s Reserve was named Connoisseur Whisky of the Year in the multi-market category. (~$183.20).
Windsor’s Hiram Walker Distillery won the 2021 Distillery of the Year award.
Lifetime Achievement in distilling was awarded to Devine Distillery and Winery’s Ken Winchester.
Canada’s Best Whiskies & Distilleries – 2021
- Canadian Whisky Of The Year – Canadian Club 43-year-old Chronicles – The Speakeasy
- Connoisseur Whisky of the Year Domestic Market – Canadian Club 43-Year-Old Chronicles – The Speakeasy
- Best Blended Whisky – Canadian Club 43-Year-Old Chronicles – The Speakeasy
- Best Blended Whisky Highly Commended – J.P. Wiser’s 22-Year-Old Cask Strength Port Cask Finished
- Connoisseur Whisky of the Year Multi-market – Pendleton Director’s Reserve
- Sippin’ Whisky of the Year Domestic – Gibson’s Finest Bold
- Sippin’ Whisky of the Year Export – Wiser’s Triple Barrel Rye (US)
- Sippin’ Whisky of the Year Multi-market – Pendleton 1910 12-Year-Old
- Whisky Value Domestic Market – Alberta Premium
- Whisky Value Multi-market – Forty Creek Barrel Select
- Cream Whisky – Wayne Gretzky No. 99 Salted Caramel
- Flavoured Whisky – J. P. Wiser’s Old-Fashioned
- Best Whisky Spirit – De Vine Wine and Spirits: Ancient Grains
- Best Whisky Spirit – Highly Commended – Raging Crow Distillery: Can’t Call It B**rbon
- Best Single Malt Whisky a tie: – Two Brewers Yukon Single Malt Release 22 & Shelter Point Double Barrel #5
- Best Single Grain Whisky – Trust Single Grain
- Best Cask Strength Whisky – J.P. Wiser’s 22 Year Old Cask Strength Port Cask Finished
- Best All-Rye Whisky – Alberta Premium Cask Strength
- Best Corn Whisky – Last Straw sCorn (yes sCorn – made from malted corn)
- Best Mixed Mash Whisky – Ancient Grains (Devine Distillery & Winery)
- Best Wheat Whisky – Last Mountain Single Cask 100% Wheat Whisky
- Award of Excellence – Innovation – Shelter Point Distillery (for peated whisky process)
- Award of Excellence – Line Extension – Lot No. 40 Dark Oak
- Award of Excellence – Best New Whisky – Last Straw Straight Ontario Rye Cask Strength
- Distillery of the Year – Hiram Walker & Sons
- Artisanal Distillery of the Year – Devine Distillery and Winery
The Canadian Whisky Awards is not affiliated with the Canadian whisky industry. To qualify for the awards, each whisky must be distilled and matured in Canada. An independent panel of whisky experts who have made significant contributions to understanding Canadian whisky selects the winners after blind tasting.
Check out the complete list of winners here.