Explore Ontario on rails–through rolling hills, ravines, forested valleys and the country side! Whether as a family trip or on a day trip with your loved one, these scenic tours will never disappoint! Enjoy fall colours or have a Halloween haunted experience, visit the pumpkin patch, or take a ride on the Santa Train.
Special Train Trip Events from our Calendar are listed at the end of the article.
1. Agawa Canyon Tour TrainOne of the most popular train tours in Canada, this one day trip will take you through alongside pristine northern lakes and rivers and vast mixed forests of the Canadian Shield. At the end of the 114 mile journey, explore Agawa Canyon Wilderness Park that has a variety of trails that lead to the most scenic spots, including four waterfalls and the breathtaking Lookout. Or have a picnic and then enjoy another 114 mile journey back to where you started. Details
Daily ~ Mid June to ~ Mid October; Departs Sault Ste Marie: 8:00 am | Returns Sault: 6:00 pm
129 Bay Street, Sault Ste. Marie
~$54.87 (Youth) to ~$121.23(adult)
2. Polar Bear Express
Take a 5 hour trip on the Polar Bear Express train, a passenger train, which runs from Cochrane to Moosonee through Boreal Forests and along the Arctic Watershed, crossing historic highways of the once busy fur trade . See many hydroelectric dams as you head further north towards the James Bay Coast and Moosonee. This is the best way to see Northern Ontario. Details
Cochrane and Moosonee
~ $52.45+ one way for adult.
3. Waterloo Central Railway
Take a ride through the Waterloo Region countryside on the historic railway branch between St. Jacob’s Market to St. Jacob’s Village and Elmira.
Explore the famous St Jacobs Market or enjoy a variety of themed tours that are offered including Maple Syrup Festival Trains, Easter Bunny Trains, Great Train Robbery, Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Festival of Colours Trains, Pumpkin Patch Trains, Thanksgiving Trains, Santa Train and more! Details
Year round ~ on select days and weekends and on St. Jacobs Farmers’ Market days
St. Jacobs Market station, 878 Weber St. N. Woolwich (There are Hop on Hop off options on select train rides.
$14.99 & up
4. York Durham Heritage Railway
Take a trip on GTA’s heritage railway as you travel from Uxbridge to Stouffville and back over the picturesque Oak Ridges Moraine. Enjoy a trip in doors-open baggage car! Details
Themed trips include Escape train, Halloween, Father’s Day Trip, Santa Train and Fall Colours.
Weekends from June through to the mid of December.
York–Durham Heritage Railway, 19 Railway St, Uxbridge
$15 & up
5. Port Stanley Terminal Rail
Experience a train ride through the scenic Kettle Creek Valley over a 7 km portion of the former London & Port Stanley Railway.
Themed tours include: Easter Egg Hunt, Mothers Day, Father’s day, Thanksgiving, Murder Mystery Train, Pumpkin Train, Halloween Train and Santa Train. Details
Select Days April to December
309 Bridge Street, Port Stanley
$9 to $15
6. South Simcoe RailwayEnjoy a 50 minute ride on steam and diesel powered trains of Ontario’s first steam heritage railway through the 6.5 km of Beeton Creek Valley from the South Simcoe Railway station in downtown Tottenham. Details
Themed train tours include Easter Express, Fall Colour Tours, Haunted Hallowe’en Adventure and Santa Claus Express.
Victoria Day Weekend to Mid October and also during Easter, Halloween and Christmas Season.
Mill St W, Tottenham
$9 to $16
7. Other Heritage Train Rides
Portage Flyer Train: Visit Muskoka Heritage Place and take a trip along the Muskoka River onto Fairy Lake Station on a 1 km track (30 minutes). Details
Halton County Radial Railway: Visit Halton County Radial Railway at Milton and enjoy unlimited historic streetcar rides on two kilometers of scenic track. There are special events during Halloween and Christmas at the museum. Details
8. Upcoming Special Train Tours
You may like: