Built in 1959, the Sulphur Mountain Gondola is the only bi-cable gondola in Canada. A four person enclosed cars takes 8 minutes to reach the top of the Sulphur mountain where Bow valley, cascade mountain, Lake Minnewanka can be see from the mountain top.
The total elevation gain is ~ 700 m.
The weather Station, named after Norman Bethune Sanson can be reached by hiking the boardwalk from the top the Sulphur Mountain.
Top Things to Do at Banff Gondola
What to Do at Banff Gondola?
- Enjoy the stunning scenery as you travel up (& down) in the Banff gondola to reach the top of Sulphur Mountain. You can see six Banff national park mountain ranges from here.
- Stroll the short boardwalk (Vista trail – Banff Sky walk) that leads to the weather observatory (National Historic Site) on the Sanson’s Peak and get rewarded with another breathtaking view.
- Hike the South East Ridge Trail to reach the Sulphur Mountain’s true summit.
- Experience stunning views of Banff town and valley from the 360-degree rooftop observation deck.
- Banff Alphine night – Enjoy a unique dining experience at the The Panorama Restaurant, watching the sunset in the Canadian Rockies from the top of the Sulphur mountain (reservation required).
- Tip: In fall, winter and early spring, it is better to check the webcam to see whether the view is clear from the top before venturing on.
Who all can visit Banff Gondola ?
How to get to Banff Gondola?
Location/directions to Banff Gondola
The Banff Gondola is located at the base of Sulphur Mountain.
To reach Banff Gondola, from Banff town, cross the Bow river bridge and turn left onto to Mountain Ave, the Gondola terminal is located at the end of the Mountain Avenue, besides Upper Hot Springs.
GPS : 51.148206,-115.555984
Banff Transit – Roam connects to Banff Gondola – Route 1 – Transit Planner
How much do Banff Gondola ride cost?
Admission/Fees Banff Gondola
Banff Gondola Tickets are time flexible, meaning ticket price varies based on projected visitation.
Adult: $58 & up
Ages 6-15: $28 & up
Under 5: Free
Alberta locals after 5: $49
Admission Before 10 AM– Child Free with Adult
Banff Gondola Evening Savings
(from 5 PM)
$45.00 / adult
At the Gate: $64 Adult | $32 AGES 6-15
You can buy tickets online at the door, online on their websites or through ticket partners of Banff Gondola like Viator(Trip Advisor) or Tiqets.com, which enables you to buy in your own currency.
Coupons / Cheaper options for Banff Gondola
One can hike up and down the sulphur mountain from the trail (Strenuous) that starts at the Banff Upper Hot springs.
If you are spending time in Banff & Jasper, book value packages which includes Lake Minnewanka cruise & Columbia Icefield explorer. Other similar packages also offer reduced pricing.
Sometimes, there is a saving deal available if you visit after 4:30 pm
* Try to buy the ticket online in summer as the ticket lines can be quite long.
When to go on Banff Gondola?
Hours / Time Banff Gondola
(Kindly verify the current hours & admission rates from the attraction website)
Banff Gondola is open year round.
Current Hours until Dec 2019:
September 3 – October 14, 2019
Daily: 8 AM – 9:30 PM
October 15 – December 19, 2019
Mon-Tues: 10 AM – 4:30 PM
Wed-Sun: 10 AM – 8:30 PM
Last ride up: 30 minutes prior to close
Last ride down: At closing time
How long will it take to visit Banff Gondola the Sulphur Mountain ?
2 hours & up
What about Amenities, accessibility & parking?
The Banff Gondola is completely wheelchair accessible, but once you reach the top of the Sulphur mountain, the path to the Sanson’s peak has numerous steps.
Restaurants & Cafe : Sky Bistro, Castle Mountain Coffee Co, Starbucks and Northern Lights Café
Parking available(including tour bus).