About Jasper SkyTram Jasper National Park, Alberta
The history of the Jasper Skytram dates back to the 1960s. William McGregor after climbing to the peak of Whistlers Mountain felt the need to share the breathtaking views with the outside world.
The project was completed by German firm P.H.B in 1964 and was officially launched during the summer of that year.
Ever since that time, more than 6 million tourists have visited the place, ridden the Jasper Sky tram, and shared the experience that inspired McGregor.
Jasper Tramway travels to an elevation of 2,277 m. It is Canada’s the highest and longest aerial tramway .
Itching for some adventure? Here are the top 10 things to do in Jasper Skytram.
Top Things to Do in Jasper Skytram
What to do at Jasper Tramway – Whistler Mountain Summit
- Listen to the guide/conductor explaining various aspects of the tramway and the scenery around, as you ascend to Whistlers mountain in 7.5 minutes. In the company of a knowledgeable guide, you will enjoy a seven minutes ride as you soar to as high as 2,263 meters above sea level.
- View six mountain ranges, Jasper town, and the enchanting Athabasca River. From the mountain peaks to turquoise lakes, getting atop the sky tram will give you a spectacular view of breathtaking landscapes. Be prepared to be awed by nature.
- If you are a lover of heights, going hiking at the Whistlers Mountain will be an unforgettable experience. While at the top of this mountain, you will have so much to feast your eyes on. Of special mention include views of other mountains such as Mount Robson, Pyramid Mountain, and Mount Collin.
- Walk along the interpretive boardwalks surrounding the station.
- Try to spot hoary marmots, the namesake of Whistler mountain, Big Horn sheep, Ground Squirrels, Moose, Pikas, and White-tailed Ptarmigan as you explore the ~ 1.4 km treeless mountain trail to the Whistlers Summit.
- Join for stargazing during Jasper Dark Sky Festival: . View and learn about planets, galaxies, constellations and much more through the largest telescope in the Rockies. – (September – October weekends ).
Jasper SkyTram Hike & Trail to Whistlers Mountain, Jasper
1. Hike from the Upper Tramway station to the Whistlers Mountain Summit ~1.4 km, to enjoy the breathtaking views which includes Columbia Icefield and glacier lakes.
2. Another way to reach the Summit of Whistlers Mountain, is to do a 7 km hike, that starts behind the Jasper Hi Hostel, ~ 1 km before the Jasper Tramway parking lot. The trail is rated difficult with an elevation gain of ~1230 m. The trail traverses steeply through montane, sub-alpine and alpine vegetation zones. Trail map – here.
GPS of the Trail head : 52.85037,-118.109854
Tips to better enjoy Jasper SkyTram visit
If you are traveling on busy summer months, try to include Jasper tramway as first or last part of your itinerary, so that you may not have to wait long in the queue. The tramway will be crowded in peak seasons, so if one can make it before 10:00 or after 6:00 pm, you will be able to enjoy the scenery as you travel in the tramway. Carry warm clothes, so that sudden winds don’t catch you unprotected.
If traveling on a cloudy day, check the webcam , to make sure that the view is clear. (Cloudy conditions can change quickly, though)
Jasper SkyTram in Winter
Closed. The Skytram opens during early spring and you will will have a great time snowshoeing starting from the upper part of the mountain.
How long to see Jasper Tramway?
~2 hours if hiking around the trail. Allocate more time in summer to wait in the queue.
The tram ride is approximately 7.5 minutes each way
How to get to Jasper Tramway?
Jasper Tramway Location & Directions
Jasper Tramway is located ~ 4 km off the Icefields parkway, and ~ 8 from Jasper town. To reach the tramway, if traveling from, Lake louise, travel north on the Icefields parkway, after about 225 km on the parkway, turn left to the Whistler mountain road. Signposts on the road. From Jasper town, travel to Icefields Parkway, once after ~1.8km on parkway, turn right to the Whistler mountain road to the tramway.
GPS : 52.850707,-118.124192. For Jasper Tramway google map directions, check the map tab.
Sundog Tours also provides shuttle service from Jasper town and from local hotels.
How much to do Jasper SkyTram?
Jasper Skytram Admission/fees/admission/prices
Adults (16+ Years) | $49.30 +5% GST
Youth (6-15 Years) | $26.20 + 5% GST
Child (Under 6 Years) | Free + 5% GST
Family Package (2 Adult + 2 Youth) | $124.80 +5% GST
For groups traveling there are discounts and options to travel up the tramway together.
How to get tickets?
You can buy tickets online at the door, online on the websites or through ticket partners of Jasper Skytram like Viator(Trip Advisor) or Tiqets.com, which enables you to buy in your own currency.
When to visit Jasper SkyTram?
The season runs usually (weather dependent) from Easter (March/April) to Canadian Thanksgiving day.
March 22 – May 16 | 10am–5pm
May 17 – June 20 | 9am–8pm
June 21 – September 02 | 8am–9pm
September 03 – October 27 | 10am–5pm
The last tram down leaves one hour after the last posted trip up the mountain.
What about Jasper SkyTram Amenities, Accessibility & Parking?
- Parking available.
- Wheelchair accessible (both tramway & the trail(boardwalk) around the upper station).
- The Jasper Tramway lower station has Gift Shop, Snacks, and Washrooms.
- Upper Station has Gift Shop, Treeline Restaurant, and Washrooms
- Do not have to starve yourself while on the trip. Treat yourself to some BBQ and get a new experience dining in the fresh air on the Jasper Skytram BBQ deck (lower station)
- Have a dinner at the Summit Restaurant as you enjoy the views of the Canadian Rockies. At 2,277 meters, this is the most elevated dining experience in Jasper. Summit Restaurant is not wheelchair accessible
Places to stay near Jasper Tramway
– Hi Hostel Jasper.
– Campgrounds – Whistler & Wapiti Campgrounds on Icefields Parkway