WINTER BREAK 2020 – 2021
Here’s a list of fun activities to enjoy as a family during the winter break from December 18, 2020 – January 3, 2021.
See Christmas Lights
1. Drive through two tunnels with animated and static light displays at the Gift of Lights.
2. Embrace the holiday season with Christmas in Cambridge Festival. Up to 20 light installations will illuminate the City from November 23 to January 2.
3. Enjoy the Wonders of Winter at Waterloo Park. Over 100,000 light bulbs will be used to illuminate over 100 colourful and fun displays
5. Watch visual effects transform the Old Post Office during the Old Post Office Light Show.
2. Cross-country skiers and snowshoe enthusiasts can head out t0 the Walter Bean Trail.
3. Shade’s Mill Park is a popular destination in winter. The park has 10 kms of groomed ski trails and a snowshoe loop. Ice fishing is another popular activity to do here.
4. Enjoy skating at the outdoor ice rink at the Preston Towne Centre Skating Rink. The rink is open in all cold weather conditions and at all times.
5. Do you love golfing? Now you can enjoy tee time in winter at GolfNorth.
6. Enjoy tobogganing? Check out the City-designated tobogganing hills. You can also check out the hill at Westvale Park or Columbia Lake, Waterloo. Use your good judgement while enjoying these activities.
7. Enjoy a family walk in the green spaces in the Kitchener-Waterloo Region. Pack a picnic and plan to spend an afternoon outside playing games with your loved ones.
8. Find hidden treasures and discover the many geocaches located throughout the region. This family-friendly activity uses a mobile app or a GPS device. This is also a fun way to interact with nature while getting mild exercise and explore new areas.
9. Birding is a fun activity to do in winter. What are the popular winter birds that you can spot? Can you notice any winter adaptation changes in them? Grab a pair of binoculars, download a bird ID app, and try to name all the birds that you can spot. If you don’t want to venture outside do an unofficial count of the birds that visit your bird feeder.
10. For easy fun winter sports try snowshoeing. This is an excellent way to exercise in winter and a great way to enjoy the trails!
Winter Break Camps
This winter break will be different. And so will be the winter break camps due to COVID-19.
- City of Cambridge Winter Break Camps
- City of Waterloo Winter Break Camps
- City of Kitchener Winter Break Camps
- THEMUSEUM Virtual Camps
- Winter Camp at Revolution Gymnastics & Sports Centre
- Owl’s Winter Break Camp programs
- Brick Works Academy™ Winter Break Virtual Camps
New Year’s Eve Activities
A list of things to do on New Years Eve including family events, activities, and adult parties in Kitchener-Waterloo Region to ring in 2021.
Kitchener Christmas Bird Count
Saturday, December 19, 2020
Sign up required
Cambridge Christmas Bird Count
Join the Cambridge Christmas Bird Count. Count volunteers follow specified routes through a designated 24-km diameter circle, counting every bird they see or hear all day. It’s not just a species tally—all birds are counted all day, giving an indication of the total number of birds in the circle that day. Details
Sunday, December 20, 2020
Sign up required
Keep your child engaged at home with these fun activities.
Winter Solstice Forest Bathing Walk
Celebrate the changing of the seasons on a forest bathing walk led by a certified Nature Therapy Guide at the Huron Natural Area. This will be a gentle and mindful walk where we get to explore Huron Natural Area and observe the seasonal changes. Details
Monday, December 21, 2020 | 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM
Huron Natural Area, 801 Trillium Drive, Kitchener
Come on out to our annual 5k Walk/Run and say goodbye to 2020 alongside your running buddies!! Details
December 28, 2020 – January 3, 2021
Wherever you are in Canada
$10 – $35
Watch The Great Conjunction
Get ready to watch an extraordinary event this holiday season. From December 12 to 28, giant planets Jupiter and Saturn will be in close proximity after centuries. On December 21 Jupiter and Saturn will only be 0.1 degrees apart. This year’s event will be the closest since 1623 and the closest observable since 1226! Don’t miss the Great Conjunction of planets Jupiter and Saturn. Details
Holiday Drone Shows
Enjoy holiday-themed shows from the comfort of your vehicle! Details
Saturday, December 19 & 26, 2020 | 7:00 PM
Bingemans, Bingemans Centre Drive, Kitchener
$35 – $65
Enjoy online concerts and theatres during winter break.