Christmas is an extra special day to spend with family and friends. Take a walk with your loved ones through a sparkling winter wonderland and explore what Kitchener-Waterloo Region has to offer on Christmas and Boxing Day. Here is a list of things to do on December 25 & 26 in Kitchener-Waterloo Region.
1. Go to Victoria Park
This popular park is great place to spend Christmas day providing endless ways to have fun. The park will be lit up with spectacular display of festive lights.
2. Admire Christmas lights
See Christmas Lights in Kitchener-Waterloo Region. Drive around to see beautifully decorated homes or the visual effects at the Old Post Office! Don’t forget to drive-thru the Gift of Lights (open on Dec 25 & 26 | 5:30 PM – 9:00 PM) at Bingemans! Experience the Wonders of Winter in Waterloo Park (open daily 5:30 PM – 10:30 PM)!
Want more? Check out these spectacularly lit places in Ontario.
3. Do a Christmas Day Bird Count
Do a Christmas bird count on Christmas Day! Visit any of the birding areas in KW region and see how many birds you can find!
Though not an organised/official day for counting, you can always do one own your own and enjoy a crisp morning walk!
4. Take a hike in Trillium Woods
Trillium Woods trail is a scenic pathway that winds through the woods and over a wooden footbridge – providing a 30-minute hike, paved in bark chips. The trail is set within Williamsburg Cemetery has a number of unique features including historic artifacts donated by Arthur Hewitt.
5. Watch Elf The Musical
Based on the beloved 2003 movie, this hilarious fish-out-of-water comedy is a must-see holiday musical packed with family fun! Most of the tickets are sold out, but tickets for the 7:30 show on December 26th are still available. Grab them before they are sold out.
6. Have a fun day at BingemansBingemans is a family favourite with something for all ages – arcade and redemption games, large indoor play structure, bowling. Bingemans will be open everyday during the holiday season.
7. Go skating
There are many outdoor and indoor skating rinks in KW region. Check which rink is open and enjoy skating. Please note that the rinks are subject to availability based on the weather conditions. The Cambridge Ice Centre will be open on December 26th from 9:30 AM – 3:30 PM.
All Waterloo city facilities will be closed on December 25 and 26, and January 1.
8. Tube down snowy hills
Chicopee Tube Park is rated as Ontario’s best tubing experience with a 250 ft high and 900 ft long hill. Have fun with friends or your family! The Park is closed on Christmas day, but will be open on Boxing day from 9 am to 9:30 pm.
9. See a Movie
Cineplex and Landmark cinemas
- Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker — Release Date: December 19, 2019
- Cats — Release Date: December 20, 2019
- Spies In Disguise — Release Date: December 25, 2019
- Little Women — Release Date: December 25, 2019
10. Go Winter Walking
Enjoy winters’ solitude and go hiking.Guelph Lake Conservation area will be open over the holidays. Please be aware that interior roads and trails will not be maintained in the winter.
11. Christmas Brunch/Dinner
Enjoy a sumptuous Christmas feast. Reservations required.
- Bingemans Christmas Day Buffet with all your seasonal favourites on Wednesday, December 25, 2019 | 11:30 AM and 6:30 PM
- All Open Table Listings
12. Plan a trip to a nearby Provincial ParkEnjoy ice-fishing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, tobogganing and more at the provincial parks.
13. See Sleeping Beauty: The Panto
Join us as the beloved fairy tale comes to life on stage as a fun-filled family panto featuring popular music, lively dancing, outrageous costumes, audience participation, and more! December 26 | 2:00 PM & 7:30 PM
- Play a game of Musical Bingo at Descendants. Bring your friends for some beer, music and prizes! December 26, 2019 | 8:00 PM – 10:00 PM
- Attend a special yoga class on Christmas day with Monica. Hour Slow Flow focuses on mindful movement and an introspective attitude. Wednesday, December 25, 2019 | 12 PM – 1 PM
- TWB is hosting Acoustic Folk Jamevery Thursday. Bring your acoustic guitar, banjo, mandolin, ukulele, fiddle, autoharp, upright bass, voice, cello, or even just your ears! December 26, 2019 | 6:00 PM
- Enjoy a uniquely exquisite afternoon tea experience at Homewood Suites. December 26, 2019 | 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM
- LATIN Boxing Day Party 2019 at Ace Ping Pong Lounge on December 26, 2019 | 9:00 PM
- Wuddup Dog will be opening it’s doors and inviting anyone and everyone who wants to spend the day hanging out, watching cheesy Christmas movies and enjoying a delicious free meal, to come on down on Christmas Day.
- Who’s ready to get jammin’? Open Mic Night is coming to Rhythm & Brews! Hosted by Ryan Major and Vic Freitas, come by to experience local musicians show off their chops. Thursday, December 26, 2019 at 8:30 PM – 11:30 PM
15. Attend an arts program
Every Thursday, ARTSHINE hosts a free arts program for parents and tots. Come out to the market to take part in a fun and hands-on creative art experience! Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM @ Kitchener Market
More Fun Things to Do
Check our family fun activities during Christmas Break for Holiday hours of attractions.