The massive new 330,000 square foot recreational centre Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton will be open to all on January 14th 2019.
Facilities immediately available include the fitness area, gymnasia, library, art studios, theatre, daycare, multipurpose/community rooms and two arenas.
The competition and recreational pool areas will open on March 1st, 2019.
The construction of the $193 million facility began in 2016 and the City of Calgary oversaw the planning, design and construction.
The new facility is operated by YMCA Calgary.
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton is the last of four new recreation facilities to open in once underserved areas of the city, totaling a $480 million investment by The City of Calgary. The Remington YMCA in Quarry Park and the Great Plains Recreation Facility opened to the public in the fall of 2016, and the Shane Homes YMCA at Rocky Ridge opened February 2018.
Brookfield Residential YMCA at Seton features:
- 50m, 10 lane competition & water polo pool designed to Fédération Internationale de Natation (FINA) certification standards
- Competition diving springboards and platforms, as well as a spectator viewing area
- Water park including a children’s pool, play structure, lazy river and two waterslides
- Calgary’s first FlowRider surf simulator
- Hot tubs and steam room
- 2 multi-purpose ice rinks
- 3 gymnasia with multi-purpose flooring
- Fitness centre with cardio and strength training equipment
- Fitness/aerobics studios
- 200m running/walking track
- Large and small rooms for use as studios, classrooms and meeting spaces
- 25,000 sq. ft. full service library
- Youth centre with dedicated space for youth activities and programs
- Art making, studio and gallery space
- 250-seat theatre
- Childcare/child minding
- Food services
- Physiotherapy/medical clinic
- The Seton facility includes a public artwork titled The Nest by Donald Lipski. Inspired by the site as a place of nurture, growth, meeting and discovery, the art features a bird’s nest, with different flocks of Great Blue Heron, Swainson’s Hawk and Great Horned Owl flying towards it.