Sobeys has announced a new pay program called, Hero Pay Program to support its employees who are playing a vital role in providing Canadians with the food, medicine, and essentials during COVID-19.
President & CEO of Sobeys Michael Medline said, “Our retail and distribution centre teammates are true local heroes working on the frontlines in their communities to deliver essential services to Canadians. In times like these, enhanced compensation and support programs for those who need to care for themselves and their families are simply the right things to do.”
Pay Details Hero Pay Program:
- All employees will receive an additional $50 a week, regardless of the number of hours worked.
- All employees who work more than 20 hours a week will receive an additional $2 premium per hour for all hours over 20 hours, in addition to the $50 payment mentioned above.
- All of these new arrangements are retroactive to March 8, 2020, and employees will receive their first payments in early April.
- This program will be reassessed at the end of April.
- Top-up programs are in place for teammates who are in self-quarantine for a two-week period or for those taking time off work to care for dependents or children.
We are so thankful to our retail and distribution teammates who are working the frontlines to deliver essential services to Canadians during #COVID19. We are proud to support them with our new “Hero Pay Program”. Read the latest from our CEO, Michael Medline. pic.twitter.com/1iMloHuBi4
— Sobeys (@sobeys) March 22, 2020
All Sobeys businesses like Safeway, FreshCo, Foodland, Co-op has Hero Pay program in place.