The 34th season of the Ontario Power Generation Winter Festival of Lights that kicked off on November 19th 2016 is a must visit winter festival in Canada that transforms Niagara Falls into a winter wonderland.
Here is the list of ten things to do during the Festival that is on until January 31st, 2017.
1. Drive along 8km Illumination route that travels along the stunningly beautiful Niagara Parkway. See awe-inspiring three-dimensional displays of Canadian Wildlife, ranging in height from 4’ to 11’ tall at Dufferin Islands.
2. Tune your car-radio to 100.5FM and enjoy a spectacular sound and light show at Toronto Power Generating Station that is adorned with 72 programmable DMX lights!
3. Be mesmerized at the The Fallsview Sound & Light Show on the façade of the Oakes Hotel on Fallsview Boulevard featuring visual effects with a kaleidoscope of colour & texture treatments, visual transitions with dynamic music and sound.
4. Go on a self guided Deck the Falls Holiday Walking Tour and enjoy beautifully decorated hotel lobbies and venues in and around Fallsview Boulevard, enjoy live music entertainment, Photobooth, craft workshops, holiday appetizers and more!
5. Rock out with the stars at Festival of Stars. Listen to Daniel O’Donnell, Mary Duff and Branson-favourite Mike Walker, and five-time GRAMMY Award-winning singer BJ Thomas. (Tickets).
© Winter Festival of Lights
6. See spectacular Laser Light Shows at various locations.
7. See Niagara Falls illuminated with energy efficient LED light displays. Join in on the special inaugural light up celebration on Dec 1.
9. Enjoy fireworks over the Falls illuminating cold winter nights.
10. Sip your way through premium VQA Wines and Icewines from over 20 of Niagara’s exceptional wineries during Niagara Icewine Festival.
No fee to view the illuminations but donations are gratefully accepted by Festival Ambassadors at the exit of Dufferin Islands (suggested contribution $5 – $10 per car; bus groups $1/person).
Festival of Stars Concerts: $49.50 & up
Niagara Icewine Festival: ticketed event – Varies with the event.
WHEN & WHERE
Illumination: Nightly November 19th, 2016 to January 31st, 2017
5:00 PM – Midnight
Venue: The Festival’s illumination route is over 8 kilometres in length and travels through the Niagara Parks, Dufferin Islands and into the surrounding tourist areas. See Map
Fallsview Sound & Light Show
Date & Time: Nightly from November 19th – January 31st, shows every 15 minutes between 6 & 9PM the show is 5 minutes in length
Venue: The Oakes Hotel Overlooking the Falls, 6546 Fallsview Blvd. Niagara Falls, ON L2G 3W2
Laser Light Shows
November 20th, 2016 | 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 & 8:30PM @ Queen Victoria Park, Niagara Parkway, Niagara Falls
December 2nd – 11th, 2016 | 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 & 8:30PM [email protected] Main St, Niagara Falls
December 23rd – 31st, 2016 | 5:30, 6:30, 7:30 & 8:30PM @ 5685 Victoria Ave, Niagara Falls
Fireworks over the Falls
November 19, 2016 | 06:40 PM & 07:40 PM
November 25, 2016 | 09:00 PM
December 2, 9, 16, 23- 30, 2016 | 09:00 PM
January 6, 13, 20, 27, 2017 | 09:00 PM
Festival of Stars : December 4 – 5, 2016 @ St Catharines, Ontario-The Meridian Centre Arena
Niagara Icewine Festival: January 27 – 29, 2017 @ Various Venues
Trip Planning at Niagara Falls:
Public transport: WEGO Accessible.
More to Do:
New Year’s Eve in Niagara Falls 2017