WINTER BREAK 2020 – 2021
Here’s a list of fun activities to enjoy as a family during the winter break from December 18, 2020 – January 3, 2021.
Wear masks and maintain social distancing at all times. Provincial guidelines for gatherings must be observed.
Note: All activities are subject to emerging Covid-19 restrictions. Do check before starting.
See Christmas Lights
1. Enchanted Forest beckons everyone with the magic of festive lights. The drive-thru is open until January 9th.
2. Catch the spirit of the season as the Heritage Village at WDM North Battleford lights up for the holidays.
3. Use SparkleTour, a crowdsourced holiday lights map for some of the best-decorated houses in Saskatoon.
1. Grab your snowshoes are head out to Beaver Creek Conservation areas. There are several marked trails that can be explored.
2. Enjoy the winter season at Saskatoon’s skating rinks. Drop in for public skate at one of the indoor skating rinks or at the outdoor ice rinks. You can also skate at Cameco Meewasin Skating Rink. Clarence Downey Speed Skating Oval will be open for free Public skating from December 15 – March 1.
3. Cross-country skiing is a popular activity that is enjoyed in winter. You can enjoy the trails along the East and West banks of the beautiful South Saskatchewan River as well as in the open spaces throughout Saskatoon.
7. Winter Camping can be challenging, but fun. Check out individual park site to see which National/Provincial park is open for winter camping. Be sure to take the necessary arrangements before you head out!
8. Find hidden treasures and discover the many geocaches located throughout the city This family-friendly activity uses a mobile app or a GPS device.
The following attractions are currently open. Do keep in mind that these centres may close subject to evolving Covid-19 restrictions.
- Saskatoon Forestry Farm Park & Zoo
- Western Development Museum
- Nutrien Wonderhub
- Breakout Escape Room
- Escape City
- Grip IT Climbing
Winter Break Camps
This winter break will be different. And so will be the winter break camps.
New Year’s Eve Activities
A list of things to do on New Years Eve including family events, activities, and adult parties to ring in 2021.
Eaton’s Once Upon a Christmas Exhibit
Capturing the magic and make-believe of the season! Since 1987, the Eaton’s Once Upon a Christmas exhibit has delighted visitors, young and old. The exhibit continues to be a major attraction for those who visit the WDM during the holiday season. It offers an opportunity for parents to share with their children memories of their childhood and it allows children to enter to a world of make-believe and magic. Details
November 4, 2020 – January 10, 2021 | 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Western Development Museum (WDM) – Saskatoon, 2610 Lorne Ave, Saskatoon
Winter in Pike Lake
Pike Lake Provincial Park is offering a number of physically-distanced, outdoor activities, from snowshoeing and cross-country skiing to crokicurl and ice-skating. The entire Winter in Pike Lake experience allows families to stay safe while enjoying the fresh air. Details
December 31, 2020 to January 31, 2021
Pike Lake Provincial Park
Valid Park Entry Permit Required
Nuit Year’s Eve
Nuit Years Eve is a three day socially distanced festival taking place in Saskatoon’s core neighbourhoods: Broadway Downtown, Riversdale & 33rd featuring work from several local and national artists. Details
December 31, 2020 to January 2, 2021
Broadway Downtown, Riversdale & 33rd, Saskatoon
Saskatoon Boxing Day Bird Count
Watch birds in your yard or neighbourhood to help Saskatoon Nature Society survey our region’s winter bird population. Details
Saturday, December 26, 2020 | 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Your neighbourhood in Saskatoon
Come on out to our annual 5k Walk/Run and say goodbye to 2020 alongside your running buddies!! Details
December 28, 2020 – January 3, 2021
Wherever you are in Canada
$10 – $35
Saskatoon Winter Birdwatching Tours
Hike through the best bird-rich city parks with our experienced local guide looking for winter songbirds such as woodpeckers, nuthatches, chickadees, jays, crossbills, finches and Bohemian Waxwing. Details
in November through April
Register in advance by emailing email@example.com
Winter Wonderland Sleighrides
December 19-23, 26-31, 2020 | 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM
Champetre County, NW 20 Township 37 Range 1 W, Saskatoon
$16 – $25
Keep your child engaged at home with these fun activities.
Watch The Great Conjunction
Get ready to watch an extraordinary event this holiday season. From December 12 to 28, giant planets Jupiter and Saturn will be in close proximity after centuries. On December 21 Jupiter and Saturn will only be 0.1 degrees apart. This year’s event will be the closest since 1623 and the closest observable since 1226! Don’t miss the Great Conjunction of planets Jupiter and Saturn. Details
Enjoy online concerts and theatres during winter break.