Celebrate this special day with Dad: gift him a memorable weekend of togetherness and enjoy some of the events and activities offered in and around Calgary.
For more ideas, see Things to Do this weekend in Calgary
I. Father’s Day Brunch/Dinner/BBQ
With Father’s Day just around the corner, what better way to celebrate than a delicious BBQ Kits, brunch or dinner that gets delivered to your door? Or since Calgary restaurants have reopened, why not go and dine-in! See the list for a selection of restaurants ranging from classic steaks, hearty comfort food, to amazing, unique brunch options to celebrate Father’s Day at home or dine out with quality food.
II. Food & More
- Granary Road is opening its gates on June 19th! Whether you want to plan an outing with the whole family to check out the Active Learning Park or buy ingredients for the meal you plan to cook for Dad, Granary Road is a great place to visit.
- Pick up a gift for dad from Marda Loop Summer Solstice Artisan Market.
- Father’s Day Food Truck Drive-Thru: Five food trucks will be onsite at McMahon Stadium on Father’s Day.
- Buy Alberta-made art from Clothesline Online 2020, the online version of the famous Annual Clothesline Festival & Art Sale.
- Father’s Day Pancakes & Play: Treat Dad to a great day of fun at Cobb’s Adventure Park.
- YYC Food Trucks will be at Grey Eagle Casino during Fathers Day weekend with a delicious physical distancing food “fest”.
III. Father’s Day at Aspen Crossing
Visit Aspen Crossing and participate in a scavenger hunt, challenge your dad to fun outdoor games, get creative with Fathers Day crafts and grab some lunch from a delectable food truck!
Or plan a trip in the evening and join for BBQ dinner.
Won’t it be nice if you are richer by $50K by Father’s day? Gather round the whole family and hunt for $50K hid within Calgary City limits.
To get ready, you have to buy a map that maps consists of riddles that take you around your city and require you to learn about the history and culture of Calgary to solve the riddles and win $50,000.
V. Go Fishing
Looking for a great fishing spot to call your own? Alberta Conservation Association and Alberta Environment and Parkshave stocked waterbodies across the province to create over 260 different fishing opportunities.
VI. Watch a Movie at the TheatreCanyon Meadows Theatreis open and Plaza Theatre is opening on June 19th.
VII. Family Fun
- Visit Calgary attractions that are open.Now maybe the best time as there are few “tourists” in the city and you can enjoy the attractions in a leisurely fashion.
- Visit Calgary Farmyardfor lots of farm fun, see newborn animals at the Calgary Zoo, see what’s new at Gasoline Alley, check out the Military Museums and more!
- What about going on a segway tour of Calgary? In a short period of time, zoom around effortlessly through the city’s downtown and see Calgary’s famous river valley. Admire the Bow River and the Trans Canada Trail.
- Go downhill karting at Canada Olympic Park! Climb aboard your Luge cart that features brakes and steering system and have a unique experience as gravity takes you down to the bottom of the hill over an 1800 metres purpose-built track.
Calgary has lots of indoor attractions.Many of them are open. Enjoy indoor Go Karting at SPEEDERS Indoor Prokarts or play glow in the dark mini golf at Monster Mini Golf.
VIII. Go Golfing
Alberta golf courses are open. The city of Calgary also has reopened city-run courses. Why not book a tee time?
IX. Go Paddling
The city of Calgary has reopened the Glenmore reservoir. That means Canoe & Rowing Boat Launch, North (Heritage Park) Boat, South Boat Launch and Wheel Chair Accessibility Board Launch are open. Calgary Canoe Club has not yet announced reopening plans. But you can rent rafts from other places in the city.
Bow River and Elbow River water advisories have been lifted.So rent a raft and enjoy these rivers to the fullest!
X. Get Some Awesome Gifts
Calgary is full of hidden gems when it comes to shopping. If you’re looking for that perfect item to gift your Dad, check out these shops.
Spa Treatment: There are many fabulous spas in and around Calgarybut most of them are closed or in the process of reopening. RnR Wellness Spa located on the penthouse level of Hotel Le Germain is open and taking reservations throughout Father’s Day weekend.
XI. Go Hiking or Visit Nature AreasThere are plenty of opportunities in and around to enjoy nature.
Enjoy a leisurely walk or go on a day trip with the family at any of these locations:
XII. A bit of Culture
Though there are no in-person events, you can watch plenty of online theatre events from all over the world that you can stream for free. From The Metropolitan Opera to London’s The Globe theatre, there are plenty of famous productions you can watch online.
If you rather enjoy live concerts, there are quite a few of those too.
Calgary’s SideNote Theatre and DIY Theatre present an enchanting, spiritual journey of two searching souls discovering the strength of love this weekend.
The TD Edmonton International Jazz Festivalpresents the 2020 Festival from the comfort of your home. Join us online starting opening weekend June 19-21 and every weekend until July 31 to enjoy free performances and interviews from musicians locally and around the world.
Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival: Cometogether online to celebrate National Indigenous History Monthwith the Summer Solstice Indigenous Festival – Virtual Edition. Tune in for “live” Indigenous music and dance performances.
Tenacity – An Online Musical Experience: Join for unforgettable—and unrepeatable—musical presentations, where we’ll delve to the heart of improvisation and creative collaboration organised by the Ottawa Jazz Festival.
Exotic Car Show
Yorkville Exotic Car Show is a fixture on Toronto’s Father’s Day scene. Though the actual festival is not taking place this weekend, the organizers will be showing off some fabulous cars onlineincluding the All-New mid-engine C8 Corvette.
Sports Card & Memorabilia Expo – Virtual Edition
If your dad likes to collect or sell memorabilia, join with him for the virtual edition.You can buy, sell, and trade in real-time with collectors and dealers across Canada and the USA and beyond.
For more things to do this Father’s Day weekend, see Weekend Activities in Calgary