One Day Tour of Calgary
Here are few suggestions if you have just one day in Calgary. You can not do everything in a day, but this will give some ideas and make your one day visit to Calgary memorable. The article includes some of the best attractions in Calgary.
See the attraction page for more information about each attraction.
View Best Attractions in Calgary in a larger map
Also see the article An evening in Calgary
The article Places to see in Calgary, gives a handy list of most of the attractions in Calgary with Hours, Admission, Address and GPS coordinates.
If in Calgary during the first half of July, have a great time at the Calgary Stampede.
1. If you just have a day , the best way to see Calgary is to take a tour of Downtown Calgary.
This may take most of the day, especially if you do not rush, but this tour will cover some of the major attractions like Calgary Tower, Stephen Avenue Walk (shop & dine), Glenbow Museum, Fort Calgary, Prince’s Island Park and you can enjoy a lovely stroll along the Bow river Pathway.
See the blog Downtown Calgary Tour.
Consider buying Entertainment Coupon Booklet as it has coupons for many Calgary attractions like Calgary Zoo, Fort Calgary, Heritage Park, Military Museums and has plenty of restaurant coupons.
If you have time left after the downtown tour, visit Military Museums or Heritage Park Village.
2. Another major tourist attraction in Calgary is the Heritage park. As Canada’s largest living history museum by number of exhibits, it is one of the city’s most visited tourist attractions.
Heritage Park features a village that was recreated to appear as it might have in late 19th and early 20th century Alberta. Attractions in the park include a cruise on the Glenbow Reservoir, vintage amusement rides, vintage car museum and more! There is something for everyone here at the park. Time required to visit: 3 hours.
1900 Heritage Dr SW
Alberta T2V 2X3
Varies according to season.
Mid May – Mid Octiber
General (15 – 64): $26.25
Child (3 – 6): $$13.50
Youth (7 – 14): $18.75
Senior (65+): $20.50
In winter, the Gasoline Museum alone is open.
3. Another great stop in Calgary is the The Military Museums.
Opened as Canada’s largest military museum, it showcases the triumphs and sacrifices of the Canadian Forces. See the large mural mosaic display, displays of military tanks & airplanes, and other interpretive displays detailing life during World War I & II. Children will also enjoy the trip.
4520 Crowchild Trail SW
Calgary T2T 5J4
Monday – Sunday
Closed Jan 1 & Dec 25.
Adults: $ 10
Seniors: $ 5
Students & Youth:$ 4
Children (Under 7):Free
Serving Military Personnel: Free
1300 Zoo Rd. N.E.
AB T2E 7V6
Closed Dec. 25, Zoo Gala
Admission (low season)
Adults :(16 – 59): $23.00
Senior (60+): $21.00
Child (3 – 15): $15.00
Infant (2 & under): Free
220 St Georges Dr NE
AB T2E 5G1
Sun – Fri: 9:00 AM – 04:00 PM
Open until 5:00 PM on on stat. holidays.
Saturday : 9:00 AM – 05:00 PM
Adults Only Nights (18+) : 06:00 PM- 10:00 PM
Adult : $19.95
Senior : $17.95
Youth : $15.95
Child : $12.95
5. Calgary is home to Spruce Meadows, the world’s premier show jumping and equestrian facility, famous for events like Spruce Meadows Masters. So if in Calgary during the Championship shows, consider visiting Spruce Meadows. Many events are free/complimentary.
18011 Spruce Meadows Way SW
Alberta, T2J 5G5
9 AM to 6 PM during non tournament days
& X-mas season
Some events are also also free.
6. If you are sports enthusiast, visit Canada Olympic Park.
Want to ski, snow board or bobsleigh right in the middle of the city? COP is the place to go.
The hill is divided into three sections, the downhill racing section, the casual section and the terrain park. It is a great visit in the winter. In summer, enjoy Mountain Biking, Zipline at the Park, Summer Bobsleigh Rides, and more!
Enjoy the thrills of going downhill on a 1.8 km long track on a wheeled ride at Skyline Luge. The park is also home to the Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.
Canada Olympic Park
88 Canada Olympic Rd. S.W.
AB T3B 5R5
Hill Road | 8:00 AM – 10:00 PM
Main Gate | 5:00 AM – 1:00 AM
Fees per activity.
Admission is free.
8. Enjoy a performance by the Calgary Philharmonic Orchestra or by Theatre Calgary at Art Commons.
If you are visiting Calgary during a weekend, see Things to do in Calgary this weekend for events happening during the weekend.
9. Calgary Brewery Tours – Experience good natured and welcoming breweries, eateries and distilleries with people who enjoy a satisfying brew as much as you. Two distinct tours let you taste the flavours of the Calgary area. You will witness the region’s rich history and realize the crazy lengths our brewers and distillers go to for the love of beer, spirits and mead. The tours will take you on an adventure to the birthplaces of Calgary’s most exceptional beverages.
Banff National Park is only 1.5 hrs away. Here are three itineraries that are jam packed with Banff Attractions if you just have one day to spend in Banff.