On March 23, 2020, the government of British Columbia announced a cumulative economic package of $5 billion in income supports, tax relief and direct funding for people, businesses and services to ease the monetary hardships faced by British Columbians due to COVID-19. B.C.’s COVID-19 Action Plan is in addition to the federal government’s COVID-19 economic plan.
Part of the package is B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers (BCEBW), a one-time, tax-free payment of $1,000 for eligible British Columbians.
Applications are now open for B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers.
Who is Eligible For B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers
- have been a resident of B.C. on March 15, 2020;
- meet the eligibility requirements for the CERB;
- have been approved for the CERB, even if a federal benefit payment has not yet been received;
- be at least 15 years old on the date of application;
- have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return; and
- not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance.
HOW TO APPLY
Last date for application is December 2, 2020. You will get the payment within 10 business days after your application is approved.
You will need your Social Insurance Number (SIN), Individual Tax Number (ITN), or Temporary Tax Number (TTN) to verify your eligibility. Your direct deposit banking details as the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers will only be issued by direct deposit, ensuring you receive the benefit as soon as possible.
Phone: From May 4, 2020
Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 4:30pm: