Here is a list of things to do on December 25 and 26 in Saskatoon.
1. Meewasin Trail
Explore the 80-km long Meewasin Trail. Access points to the trail can be found throughout the city. The Trail passes through beautifully landscaped parks and natural areas, and wind along the South Saskatchewan riverbank and offers views of both downtown and the forested riverbank.
2. Admire Christmas lights
Go on a Christmas Lights Tour of Saskatoon!
See individual houses that is decorated to the hilt or visit downtown to see the Christmas displays. Glow Gardens will be open on Boxing day from 12 PM to 10 PM. Spend Starry Starry Nights at the BHP Enchanted Forest.
3. Do a Christmas Day Bird Count
Do a Christmas bird count on Christmas Day! Visit any of the birding areas near Saskatoonand see how many birds you can find! Though not an organised/official day for counting, you can always do one own your own and enjoy a crisp morning walk!
You can also participate in the annual Boxing Day Bird Count.
4. See Art
5. White Winter Fun
In case, we have a white Christmas, or if there is enough snow sticking to the ground, enjoy some snow fun.
Cross Country Skiing: There are many ski trails in Saskatoon. Cross country ski trails are maintained along the East and West banks of the beautiful South Saskatchewan River and in a variety of parks and open spaces throughout Saskatoon.
Tobogganing: Come out to one of the City of Saskatoon’s designated toboggan hills during the winter season. Head to the Optimist Hillin Diefenbaker Park to enjoy free tobogganing. Another popular place is the Pest Hill in the George D. Archibald Memorial Park North. You can also try the small tobogganing hills in Harold Tatler North and South Nutana Park. Search for park locations and amenities using the Parks Google MyMap.
Optimist Hill will be closed on Christmas Day, but will be open on Boxing Day from 10 am to 9 pm. Please note that the hills will also be closed when temperature drops below -25 ºC. Stay safe and have fun!
6. See a Movie
- Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker — Release Date: December 19, 2019
- Cats — Release Date: December 20, 2019
- Spies In Disguise — Release Date: December 25, 2019
- Little Women — Release Date: December 25, 2019
Checkout Landmark/Cineplex Theatres.
7. Christmas Brunch/Dinner
- Christmas Dinner at the German Cultural Centre on Wednesday, December 25, 2019 | 2:00 PM, 4:00 PM & 6:00 PM
- Boxing Week Brunch at Shift on December 26 – 29, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM @ Remai Modern
8. Other Events
- RBC Creative Space over Winter Break – A drop-in art studio for all ages with materials linked to exhibitions. December 26 | 1:00 PM – 4:00 PM @ Remai Modern
- Boxing Day Square Dance @ The Bassment
- ELF – The Musical on December 26 @ Remai Arts Centre
- Amigos Karaoke – Boxing Day Edition! on Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ Amigos Cantina
- Bombargo’s Boxing Day Bash! with special guests: JJ White. Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Coors Event Centre
- The 3 Canadians at Bud’s on Broadway on Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 9:00 PM
- Ugly Sweater Party w/ Uncle Joe & Levi!! on Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ Pink Lounge & Nightclub
- The Punchline: Boxing Day Beatdown on Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ Black Cat Tavern
- Restore – Yoga: This gentle practice is good for what ails you: pain, anxiety, exhaustion, self-acceptance, grief, depleted energy, etc. Come as you are. Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 5:30 PM – 6:30 PM @ GreatFull // goods + practice center
- Mat the Alien & The Gaff Present: Past to the Future on Thursday, December 26, 2019 | 9:00 PM @ Capitol Music Club
9. Visit the Zoo
Saskatoon Park & Zoo is a great place to visit with family during the winter months. You can enjoy a refreshing winter walk around the Zoo and enjoy the animals.
The Zoo is closed on December 25, but open on December 26th.
10. Plan a trip to a nearby Provincial ParkEnjoy ice-fishing, cross-country skiing, snowmobiling, tobogganing and more at the provincial parks.
11. Take a Twirl on the Ice
Enjoy skating at one of theoutdoor icerinks. All indoor skating rinks will be closed on December 25 & 26th.
The Cameco Meewasin Rink @ NutrienPlaza is open for the season. Enjoy gliding with amazing views of the South Saskatchewan River! Weather permitting; the rink will continue to be operating for the season from noon to 9:00 PM daily. The rink will be closed if weather dips below -30°C.
Enjoy skating at the 400 m oval Clarence Downey Speed Skating Oval. The oval has different lanes for different speeds, and room for every level of skater.
12. Visit Leisure Centres
Cosmo Civic Centre: December 25 & 26: Closed
Harry Bailey Aquatic Centre: December 25: Closed, December 26: open 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Lakewood Civic Centre: December 25: Closed, December 26: open 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Lawson Civic Centre: December 25: Closed, December 26: open 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Saskatoon Field House: December 25:Closed, December 26: open 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Shaw Centre: December 25: Closed, December 26: open 12:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Terry Fox Track (in the SaskTel Sports Centre): Closed December 25 & 26.