Prince Edward Island comes alive when the leaves turn vibrant colours. Towns and cities across the island offer unique experiences for visitors and locals alike. No matter what you choose to do on PEI, there are hundreds of fun things you’ll want to check off your bucket list this fall.
1. Taste Your Way Through the Fall Flavours Festival
Go on a self-guided culinary tour of ‘Canada’s Food Island’. You can decide to be adventurous and hit the road without a plan, or carefully schedule every stop according to your taste buds.
2. Pick your own apples
Apple Picking is an iconic fall activity. Spend a day in an orchard, picking fresh apples to take home to eat or bake into delicious fall treats.
3. Pick out your own pumpkin at a Pumpkin Patch
It wouldn’t be fall without having a pumpkin for Halloween. Make precious memories when you take the family out to a pumpkin patch to choose your perfect pumpkin that will make the best Jack-O’- Lantern.
- Berry Hill Farm, 20543 Route 2, New Glasgow
- Clohossey Farms, 14770 Rte 14, Tignish
- Diana’s Pumpkin Patch, 14087 Cascumpec Rd, Alberton
4. Visit a Haunted House
October is filled with pumpkin spiced items and scary events. PEI is haunted and many of the locations are open to the public year round. Checkout some of PEI’s haunted locations this Halloween.
- The Route 6 Motel – Haunted House, 18 Moore Rd, New Glasgow
- King’s Playhouse, 65 Grafton St, Georgetown
- Holland Cove
- Scotch Fort Cemetery
- Goblin Hollow, Lyndale
5. Take a Sip on a Wine Tour
Fall is harvest season for grapes, so wineries are bustling with activity. Tour a winery to find out how grapes are turned into wine, and maybe sample the fruits of their labour.
- Rossignol Estate Winery, 11147 Shore Rd, Murray River
- Matos Winery & Distillery, 3156 West River Road, Route 9, St. Catherines
- Island Honey Wine Company, 820 Millboro Rd, Wheatley River
6. Experience a Corn Maze
If you like solving puzzles, head to the nearest corn maze for a fantastic fall adventure. Challenge your friends and see who can make it out of the maze the fastest.
- Belfast Corn Maze, Market & BBQ Pit, Belfast Corn Maze
- Mackenzie Produce, 10971 Trans-Canada Hwy, Stratford
7. Take a drive on the Red Dirt Roads
Take the road less travelled for a truly spectacular view. Drive one of the many Red Dirt Roads to take in the fabulous fall colours of the island.
8. Walk on the Beach
Have a stress-free day reconnecting with nature when you spend time walking along the seashore at one of PEI’s beautiful beaches. You may even find unique shells, seaglass, and driftwood for fabulous “Island” inspired wreath!
- Singing Sands, 318 Basin Head Rd, Souris
- Blooming Point, 21 MacDonald Rd, Mount Stewart
- Greenwich National Park, 59 Wild Rose Road, Greenwich
- Cavendish Beach, 590 Graham’s Ln, New Glasgow
- Argyle Shore Provincial Park Route 19, Argyle Shore
9. Take Advantage of the Fall Harvest at Farmer’s Markets
Visit one of the Farmer’s Markets on PEI and celebrate the local farmer’s harvest, especially the freshly dug potatoes.
- Charlottetown Farmers’ Market
- Stanley Bridge Centre Farmers’ Market
- Summerside Farmers Market, 250 Water St, Summerside.
10. Tour a Craft Brewery
If you enjoy craft beer, then PEI is the perfect place for you to take a tour of a craft brewery. The craft beer scene has exploded on the island in the past few years, so you have many breweries to pick from.
- The Gahan House, 126 Sydney Street, Charlottetown
- Upstreet Brewing Company, 41 Allen St., Charlottetown
- PEI Brewing Company, 96 Kensington Rd, Charlottetown
- Copper Bottom Brewing, 567 Main St, Montague
- Evermoore Brewing Company, 192 Water St, Summerside
- Lone Oak Brewing Co. 103 Abegweit Blvd, Borden-Carleton
- Bogside Brewery, 11 Brook St, Montague
- Moth Lane Brewing, 101 Mickie Allan Shore Road, Ellerslie
11. Enjoy a Fall Hike
Fall is the perfect time to get outside and go for a hike as the leaves change from summer green to reds, oranges and yellows — nothing like hiking and seeing a vista of different colours along the dirt road and ponds of PEI.
- Confederation Trail.
- Bonshaw Trails, Bonshaw Provincial Park
- Gairloch Trail, Lot 60
- Balsam Hollow, Green Gables Heritage Place
- Mooney’s Pond
- Boughton River Hiking Trail
12. Go Climbing and Ziplining
Become a squirrel, and climb high on the climbing course or zipline through the autumn coloured treetops or climb at night.
- Rise and Climb Adventure Course, 31 Terry Fox Place, Cornwall
13. Take a Carriage Ride
You don’t need to wait for a special occasion to go for a carriage ride on PEI. You can book a carriage ride with ‘Matthew’ as your driver and ride in the carriage from Anne of Green Gables Museum to the Lake of Shining Waters across a country road and down a private country lane onto a private beach.
- 4542 PE Route 20, Park Corner
14. Explore the Culinary Trail
Celebrate the fall harvest by hopping on Canada’s Food Island Culinary Trail. Enjoy a delicious meal, have a fantastic culinary experience, and try authentic PEI products as you work your way down the trail.
15. Meet Some Alpacas
Alpacas are lovely animals who are always wearing a sweater, so what better time to meet them than during sweater weather. Meet the alpacas, then see what their fleece turns into.
- Green Gables Alpacas, 5327 Route 12, Birch Hill
16. Go on a Girls Weekend Getaway
Gather up your girl friends and get ready for a fall weekend getaway. A Girls Weekend Getaway is the perfect way of experience fall and take a break from the daily hustle.
17. Meet up with friends in a Cozy Cafe
Would it be fall without pumpkin spice? Warm up with your friends at a local cafe that serves fantastic coffee, teas, lattes, and yummy baked goods.
- Beanz Cafe, 138 Great George Street, Charlottetown
- Samuel’s Coffee House, 4 Queen Street, Summerside
- Receiver Coffee Company, 128 Richmond St, Charlottetown
18. Visit a Lighthouse
PEI is home to 35 active lighthouses. Check out our list of 25 Must Visit Lighthouses to find the beautiful lighthouses and breathtaking ocean views amid fall colours.
19. Go Kayaking
Row your way to the fall colours from a new view when you go kayaking. You can book a tour or just paddle your own way. Explore Morrell River, Bonshaw Provincial Park, Fortune River, Malpeque Bay, St Peter Lake, Bideford River, Lennox Island Channel or any other PEI waterways this fall.
20. Raise your Spirits on a Distillery Tour
Gather your friends and go on a distillery tour where you will learn about the process of making your favorite spirits and liqueurs.
- Deep Roots Distillery, 2100 North York River Road (Route 248), Warren Grove
- Myriad View Artisan Distillery, 1336 Route 2, Rollo Bay
21. Visit the Beach Goats
Have a fun day with the beach goats who love to dress up and make new friends. You are sure to have a great time playing with or even paddle-boarding with the goats.
- Beach Goats, 10143 Route 11, Richmond
22. PEI Burger Love
Indulge your burger fantasies and eat as many burgers as you can during the 45 days of PEI Burger Love. You can win prizes if you rate the burgers you ate online and vote for your favourite one.
23. Ride a Horse
Visit a horse stable and go for a trail or beach ride. You can spend some time bonding with the beautiful horses on the serene walking trail rides through the gorgeous wooded scenery or trotting across stunning beaches.
- Brudenell Riding Stables
- Jasper Sunrise Wildwoods Stables, 74 Old Palmer Rd – off Rte 14 in St Lawrence, Alberton
24. Stroll through an Art Gallery
If you are an art lover, spend some time in the art galleries on PEI. Each gallery offers a fantastic selection of works from local and national artists.
- Details Fine Art Gallery, 166 Richmond St. (Victoria Row), Charlottetown
- Confederation Centre Art Gallery, 145 Richmond St, Charlottetown
- The Dunes Studio Gallery & Cafe, 3622 Brackley Point Road Route #15, Brackley Beach
25. Visit a Cidery
Indulge your love of apples when you visit a Cidery on PEI. Book a tasting tour and experience a new taste sensation that is a refreshing drink packed full of delicious apple flavour.
- Red Island Cider101 Longworth Ave., Charlottetown
- Riverdale Orchard & Cidery582 Riverdale Rd, Bonshaw
26. Spoil yourself with a Spa Day
Treat yourself to some “Me Time” this fall at a relaxing spa. Spend a day at the spa or really treat yourself with a multi-day spa getaway.