Enjoy free admission and special programming at provincial parks, museums and historic sites on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019.
The Family Day weekend also marks the first of two annual Family Fishing Weekends. Head out and discover the lure of fishing without the need to buy a sportfishing licence. All regulations still apply.
Alberta Museums offering Free Admission
1. Oil Sands Discovery Centre – Fort McMurray on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
2. Royal Alberta Museum — Edmonton on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
3. Royal Tyrrell Museum of Palaeontology – Drumheller on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
4. Government House – Edmonton on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 11 a.m. and 4 p.m.
5. Rutherford House – Edmonton on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
6. Reynolds-Alberta Museum – Wetaskiwin on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 10 a.m. and 8 p.m.
7. Frank Slide Interpretive Centre – Crowsnest Pass on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 10 a.m. and 5 p.m.
8. Head-Smashed-In Buffalo Jump – near Fort Macleod on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
9. Remington Carriage Museum – Cardston on Monday, Feb. 18, 2019 9 a.m. and 4 p.m.
Activities at Alberta Parks
Alberta provincial parks in winter are for more than just cross-country skiing. Try snowshoeing, fat tire biking, ice fishing, tobogganing, skating and downhill skiing, along with festivals, in Alberta’s most exciting season.
Take part in these events and activities (all activities are weather permitting):
Crimson Lake Provincial Park – Rocky Mountain House
Find a whole day of outdoor fun and entertainment at the annual Crimson Lake Winterfest, starting at 11 a.m. Snowshoeing and ice fishing demonstrations are just a few of the activities to try out. Reduced camping rates let you fill your weekend with outdoor adventure.
William A. Switzer Provincial Park – Yellowhead County
A weekend full of events and activities starts Feb.17 with Ice Fishing Fun Day from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. No experience required. Or enjoy free hotdogs, hot chocolate and coffee. Hinton’s annual French culture festival, Bonhomme Carnaval, kicks off on Feb.18 between noon and 4 p.m. There will be free cross-country skiing, free kick sleds and traditional French music. The Family Day Snowshoe Walk starts at 1 p.m. Snowshoes are provided, so just show up to enjoy this guided forest walk.
Beaver Lake Provincial Recreation Area – Lac La Biche
Everyone is invited to enjoy a wintery afternoon of Fun in the Snow from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Festivities include horse-drawn sleigh rides, ice fishing, cross-country skiing followed by a hot dog roast and Cabane à Sucre.