It is a beautiful fall season in Calgary, and there are multiple ways to celebrate with a special someone. No matter your budget for your next night out together, you have several options of things to do, food to eat, and things to see around the city. But beyond Calgary are the gorgeous views of the Rockies in fall, so you can take advantage of the parks, picnic sites, and trails, west of the city for a guaranteed scenic date.
**Arranged in no particular order. **
1. Foodies in the Park
With the Dome Dining experience, you can create a memorable date based on this awesome atmosphere alone: you’ll dine under the night sky in a treed-in garden, within the warmth of the dome. There’s also an incredible meal of strictly Canadian ingredients through their Homegrown Menu- special for this October dining event.
Where: Artisan Gardens – Bow Valley Ranche Restaurant, 15979 Bow Bottom Trail Southeast, Calgary
When: October 1 to 31, 2021
How Much: $115
2. Fall Fun at the Zoo
Calgary Zoo has plenty of events and activities planned for the Fall season. Highlights include:
- Your Thanksgiving plans can include plenty of family time, but also a little time for just the two of you. The Calgary Zoo has planned a four-course turkey dinner you can enjoy together after you wander the grounds. With your ticket, you’re granted entry at 12pm on October 10th, and are free to explore until dinner at 6pm (drink service at 5pm).
- What about exploring the zoo after dark during After Hours at the Zoo: Bears event on October 2nd that includes a three-course “Canadian” and “bear” themed dinner prepared by award-winning culinary team.
- If you like escape games, and murder mysteries, then the Zoo is debuting a brand new event – ZooDunnit. It’s Locked Zoo meets murder mystery meets progressive dinner that will keep you on your toes on October 22nd.
3. Harvest Lights – Calgary Farmyard
Each fall, the Calgary Farmyard lights up their entire field so you can come and enjoy it at night. As teens or adults on a date, you’ll want to take this chance to tackle the farm’s corn maze. The maze will remain dark, but you’re allowed flashlights.
Where: Calgary Farmyard / Calgary Corn Maze, 284022 Township Rd 224, Rocky View County
When: Until October 31, 2021
How Much: $18.95 to $22.95
4. Carly’s Angels
Have a fabulous date night with Carly’s Angels. Enjoy lip-synced songs, campy jokes, outrageous costumes and flawless make-up, while imbibing cocktails at the prohibition-esque cocktail lounge at Vegan Street Taco Bar.
When: Saturdays, satrting October 30, 2021
Where: Vegan Street Taco Bar, 1413 9th Ave SE, Calgary
How Much: $45.62 to $56.76
5. Calgary International Film Festival (CIFF)
The CIFF is offering a ‘hybrid model’ for 2021 which include in-theatre and virtual showings. If you’re looking for a night out at the movies, you can choose from five different theatre-only shows, or several other films which offer streaming and in-theatre experiences.
Where: Eau Claire Cinemas & Online, Calgary
When: September 23 to October 3, 2021
How Much: $13.50 & up
6. Harvest Pumpkin Festival Date Night
For one day, the Butterfield Acres fun farm remains open for adults-only during their Harvest Pumpkin Festival. This social event runs rain or shine and provides many great photo opportunities in the pumpkin patch, as well as pumpkin sales, a bonfire, tractor rides through the trees, and animal interactions.
Where: Butterfield Acres Farm, 254077 Rocky Ridge Road, Calgary
When: October 9, 2021
How Much: $20+GST
7. Celebrate Oktoberfest(s)
Well, it is October and there are quite a few options around Calgary for a fun date out celebrating Bavarian cusinine and drinks.
- The Calgary Rugby Union: Your tickets to this Bavarian and German style date can include your drink, or your drink and food. You are encouraged but not required to dress up and will be encouraged to dance to the live oompah band.
- Oktoberfest Craft Beer Dinner: Treat your date to a Bavarian-inspired four-course dinner paired with an exceptional lineup of beers. The Free House features a special one-night-only menu to help you celebrate good food, drink, and company.
- Bow River Brewing Oktoberfest: This casual event will feature and celebrate everything German, from music and live performances to brats and pretzels, and the delicious beer. Dressing up is encouraged and there are prizes for the best outfits.
8. Calgary International Beerfest
While Oktoberfests have you celebrating the best of German beer, you can take your taste tour around the world this October at the International Beerfest. You’ll get to sample brews from all over the world, as well as the latest in drink trends between coolers, liqueurs, and hard sodas.
Where: BMO Centre – 20 Roundup Way SE, Calgary
When: October 15 to 16, 2021
How Much: $19.99 & up
9. Daytrips West for those Fall Colours
A fall drive through the foothills offers exceptional Alberta views and as you venture close to the Rockies, you can find tons to do on an afternoon date. Try a riverside picnic at a one of the several Provincial Recreation or Day Use Areas. You can stop somewhere like Cochrane or Canmore, and grab your picnic eats on the way into the parks or pack your own in a cooler.
While there are several hiking trails west of Calgary, there are some which are notable for their fall colours. Kananaskis, Banff, and the Bragg Creek area are all a short drive from Calgary, and all offer trails with their own exceptional fall views. The Bragg Creek area is a perfect combination of the fall colours in the foothills, with the Rockies in the background. Heading into Kananaskis and Banff offer more lake views, and the golden larches which cover so much of the National Park.
- 25 Fall Day Trips in and Around Calgary
- Waterfalls Day Trips From Calgary
- Scenic Lookouts in Calgary
10. Dinner Theatre
Jubilations Dinner Theatre: The Jubilations Dinner Theatre presents Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, until October 16th and from October 23rd, you can enjoy Summer of ’69. Along with the live upbeat music, you can also enjoy a romantic three-course dinner together (salad, your choice of one from five entrees, and your choice of two desserts).
Stage West Theatre Restaurants: The Stage West’s two fall shows run a bit later, until November 7th, and include two separate sets. Choose from either Feelin’ Groovy: The Best of Folk Rock focusing on singer/songwriter classics; or Canadian Superstars: From the Nineties to Now.
11. Calgary Philharmonic Fall Shows
This fall, there are a few different types and genres of Calgary’s Philharmonic beautiful tunes. You and a loved one can relax under the sounds of Hollywood soundtracks, classic rock, classical, or Broadway music. Locations of the show vary between the Jubilee Auditorium, the Jack Singer Concert Hall, or Knox United Church.
12. Swan Lake by Alberta Ballet
Experiencing Swan Lake, or live ballet in general, can be an inspiring experience- and often visually stunning. The Alberta Ballet presents Christopher Anderson’s Swan Lake for a week this October to hopefully provide you with an awe-inspiring night out with someone special.
Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, 1415 14 Ave. NW, Calgary
When: October 21 to 30, 2021
How Much: $57.85 – $173.85+charges
13. Live Theatre
If you are looking to return to enjoying live theatre performances, there are currently three options.
- Vertigo Theatre: You can celebrate the 45th anniversary of the Vertigo Theatre while you also celebrate your loved one- and while you solve a murder mystery! The Vertigo presents Murder in the Studio this fall, an Agatha Christie story, and a perfect way to keep the Halloween vibes going into November. — November 13 to December 19
- Theatre Calgary: The 2021/2022 lineup from Theatre: Calgary will have date nights prepared for you well into next summer. But their earliest showing will of BOOM YZ (a world premiere) in October. This heartfelt comedy looks at generational divides through a multimedia experience, including prolific music of the last 25 years. Once this show ends, the holiday season gets into full gear at the Theatre with their showing of A Christmas Carol.
- Morpheus Theatre: Laugh out loud with Morpheus Theatre as they present “No Sex Please, We’re British” at the Pumphouse Theatres – a play about a young bride who sends off a mail order for Scandinavian glassware and ends up with Scandinavian pornography.
14. Thanksgiving Wines
What better way to prepare for the holidays than a wine-tasting? This event lets you sample three different fall wines, all which pair great with turkey! This could make a good stop before you possibly head out for dinner, or an afternoon fall walk.
Where: Market Wines- University District, 4109 University Avenue Northwest, Calgary
When: October 2
How Much: $10.50 per person
15. Prairie Grid Market
Share in an afternoon (or two) of shopping local, supporting the community, and dancing to the live music. The Prairie Grid Market pops up again this year at Carter Cadillac to bring together a variety of vendors for the market, and food trucks for some local cuisine. There is a large list of vendors slated for the market!
Where: Carter Cadillac, 649 Heritage Dr SE, Calgary
When: October 9 to 10, 2021
How Much: Free
16. Calgary Ghost Tours
On the fall weekends, local historians can guide you on a spooky tour of Calgary’s older neighbourhoods while they tell you tales of everything haunted. Explore downtown, Kensington, or Inglewood while taking in some scares, some history, and stories of the most frightening people to walk the city’s streets.
17. Pumpkins After Dark
Beginning September 23rd, and through to Halloween, the spectacular Pumpkins After Dark show will take over Calgary’s Canada Olympic Park. You’ll be guided along a dark path lit with several displays of hand-carved pumpkin sculptures and displays. The walk takes 45-minutes to an hour with other activities, food trucks, and treats. This is the event’s first year in Calgary!
Where: WinSport Canada, Canada Olympic Road Southwest, Calgary
When: September 23, 2021 to October 31, 2021
How Much: $17.95 to $19.95
18. Haunted Calgary
The Scream Team at Haunted Calgary has set up in the parkade of the New Horizon Mall this year with plenty of terror ready for your arrival. Young children are welcome in their Family Frights Thrill Zone, but the three main haunted walking tours are catered to an older crowd. The Team guarantees some scares so this date might bring you two quite close together!
Where: Parkade level, New Horizon Mall, 260300 Writing Creek Crescent, Balzac
When: October 9 to 30, 2021
How Much: $10 to $25
See who screams the loudest at Calgary’s famous haunted attraction. Experience haunted houses, carnival games and creepy entertainment.
Where: Stampede Park, 25 Ave SE, Calgary
When: October 8 to 31, 2021
How Much: $25-$45
20. Pumpkin Carving & Craft Beer
Free House has your fall events covered this year: their Pumpkin Carving and Craft Beer event is a perfectly fun date night idea with the bonus Halloween décor to bring home. The event starts at 3pm, and happy hour runs until 5pm, giving you plenty of time to grab their pumpkin canned beers on special.
Where: FREE HOUSE: 1153 Kensington Cres. NW, Calgary
When: October 30
How Much: $54.06 Table of Two; $107.10 Table of Four; $160.15 Table of Six
21. Ghosts & Gourmet
The gourmet part of this Heritage Park celebration comes from the Halloween-themed dinner you’ll enjoy, and the ghost part comes from the creepy after-hours walk you’ll get to take through the park. Enjoy an evening of gourmet dining, local history, and plenty of scares.
Where: Heritage Park Historical Village, 1900 Heritage Dr. S.W.. Calgary
When:October 21 to 23, 2021
22. Masters Of Illusion
Get tickets for Masters Of Illusion and experience jaw-dropping illusion as some of the best, most unique, amusing, and amazing performers astound the audience at Southern Jubilee Auditorium.
Where: Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium, 1415 14 Ave NW, Calgary
When: November 10, 2021
How Much: $27.6 – $89.5+charges
23. A Staycation at Hotel Arts
Plan a romantic getaway for two at Hotel Arts. Enjoy a three-course culinary adventure where you’ll experience Chef Scott’s inventive cuisine, a full breakfast for two and all the amenities of Calgary’s first ‘All-Inclusive’ Urban Resort.
Where: Hotel Arts, 119 12 Ave SW, Calgary
How Much: Varies
24. Trail Rides
An equestrian fall ride through the foothills could be the unique date you need. This outing provides some interaction with beautiful animals, fresh air, and unbeatable views of the hills and the mountains behind.
Where: Homeplace Ranch: #20, 339125 – 178 Avenue, Foothills
How Much:$125 per person (2.5-hour ride)
25. An Evening of Glamping
The Meska Outdoors Glamping experiences are an incredibly romantic way to celebrate couple anniversaries or milestones, and they don’t require you to drive too far. Your canvas bell tent has its own fire pit where you can relax under the stars, a queen size bed with bedding, Wi-Fi, and picnic table.
Where: Black Diamond Campground, 303 5 St. SW, Black Diamond
How Much: $178.50 per night
26. Couples Spa
Treat yourselves to some “us” time. From salt saunas, eucalyptus steam rooms, rose hip wraps, and, of course, couples massage. there is something for every couple at Calgary’s Spas.