Get hooked and give fishing a try on Canadian water bodies during license-free fishing days.
Fishing regulations and other rules still apply during license free days and National Park fishing license is required to fish in Canadian National Parks.
1. Free Fishing Days in Alberta
Family Fishing Weekends, occurs twice a year.
- Family Day long weekend in February – February 13-15, 2021
- The weekend following Canada Day in July – July 3 & 4 2021
Alberta Conservation Association and Alberta Environment and Parks have stocked waterbodies across the province to create over 130 different fishing opportunities.
2. Free Fishing Days in British Columbia
Once a year during June, during the annual BC’s Family Fishing Weekend.
- In June: Father’s Day Weekend: June 19 to 20, 2021
3. Free Fishing Days in Manitoba
Twice a year.
- Louis Riel Day Weekend 2021: February 13-15, 2021
- In June. June 12-13, 2021 (and free access to Provincial Parks)
4. Free Fishing Days in New Brunswick
Family Day long weekend in February and on the first weekend of June.
Access to private waters, Crown Reserve waters and Crown Leases are still restricted. Licences will be required, however, if anglers want to retain landlocked salmon from 48 to 63 cm FL.
- Family Day long weekend in February: February 13-15, 2021
- The first weekend of June: June 5-6, 2021
5. Free Fishing Days in Newfoundland and Labrador
No free days for non-residents.
Trout fishing free for residents.
6. Free Fishing Days in Nova Scotia
Known as free sportfishing weekends.
- In February: Heritage Day Weekend (annual winter sportfishing weekend )February 13 to 15, 2021
- June 5-6, 2021
The Nova Scotia Anglers’ Handbook is available online.
7. Free Fishing Days in Ontario
- Family Day Weekend: February 13 – 15, 2021 (12:01 a.m. Saturday to 11:59 p.m. Monday)
- Mother’s Day Weekend: May 8 – 9, 2021 (12:01 a.m. Saturday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday)
- Father’s Day Weekend: June 19 – 20, 2021 (12:01 a.m. Saturday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday)
- July 3 – 11, 2021 (12:01 a.m. Saturday to 11:59 p.m. Sunday).
8. Free Fishing Days in Prince Edward Island
Once a year
- May long (Victoria Day) weekend.
- In 2021, Free Family Fishing weekend runs from Friday May 21 to Monday May 24 (inclusive).
9. Free Fishing Days in Quebec
Fête de la pêche – Once a Year
June 4, 5 and 6, 2021
10. Free Fishing Days in Saskatchewan
Twice a Year
- Family Day Weekend: February 19-21, 2022
- Second Weekend in July: July 10 and 11, 2021
11. Free Fishing Days in Yukon
Once a Year in early July (around Canada Day Weekend) — July 2 to 5, 2021
If you’re a Yukon resident, you may fish for freshwater fish without an angling licence during the annual Family Fishing Weekend.
Yukon residents fishing for salmon are still required to possess both an angling licence and a Salmon Conservation Catch Card during this period.