Weekend Events & Festivals in Toronto: March 29 to 31, 2019
A weekly digest of What’s on in Toronto this weekend: Activities, Exhibitions, Live Music, Live Theatre & Performances, Sports and Festivals in Toronto. Few GTA events are also listed.
You may like:
I. Live Music & Concerts
Classic Albums Live: The Band
The Last Waltz was advertised as The Band’s farewell concert appearance, held on Nov 25, 1976. The concert hosted many special guests including Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr, Bob Dylan, Ronnie Wood, Muddy Waters, Neil Young, Neil Diamond, Van Morrison, Bobby Charles, Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Emmylou Harris, Ronnie Hawkins, Joni Mitchell, and The Staple Singers.
Friday, March 29 | 08:00 PM
Roy Thomson Hall
60 Simcoe St Toronto
For more than 25 years, legendary Canadian entertainer Fred Penner has been imparting his trademark message of joy and inspiration to children of all ages. Don’t miss the gentle giant live in concert with the TSO—an uplifting, must-see program full of Penner’s big-hearted music and boundless positivity!
March 30, 2019 | 2:00 PM & 4:00 PM
Roy Thomson Hall
60 Simcoe St Toronto
$26.00 – $39.75 + Applicable Charges
Mahler & Tchaikovksy
Experience a powerhouse program of classics with the Mandle Philharmonic. The program opens with Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No.1 performed by Kevin Ahfat, praised for his expressiveness and virtuosity. The second half of the program features Mahler’s monumental and gloriously sonorous “Titan” Symphony. It is an ambitious and daring program designed to edify and enrich all listeners through the inspiration of both extraordinary masterpieces.
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 7:00 PM
Toronto Centre for the Arts, George Weston Recital Hall
World Premiere of Miziwe…(Everywhere…) by Odawa composer Barbara Croall , will be first-ever oratorio in Ojibwe Odawa. Pax Christi Chorale has commissioned Odawa composer, Barbara Croall, to write a new oratorio to be performed in the Ojibwe Odawa language. This new oratorio for large choir and chamber orchestra focuses on the ‘manidoo’—spirit essence, mystery, spiritual energy, life force — from an Anishinaabe perspective.
Sunday, March 31, 2019 | 3:00 PM
73 Bloor St. West, Toronto
$30 – $65
Concert Tours/EDM Concerts This Week
- Billy Idol & Steve Stevens: Turned On, Tuned In and Unplugged on Monday, March 25 | 08:00 PM @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
- Jose Gonzalez & The String Theory on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ The Danforth Music Hall
- Thomas Anders & Modern Talking Band Featuring Bad Boys Blue Live on March 28 & 29 2019 | 8:00PM @ Universal EventSpace, Vaughan
- MUSE – Simulation Theory World Tour on Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ Scotiabank Arena
- Wizkid on Friday, March 29, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ Rebel
- Scott Helman – The Hang Ups Tour on Friday, March 29, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ The Danforth Music Hall
- Tori Kelly – The Acoustic Sessions on Sunday, March 31 | 08:00 PM @ Roy Thomson Hall
For more live music at nightclubs and Food/Spirit Festivals & Events, see under V. Nightlife/Food Festivals & Events
You may like:
II. Arts & Theatre
Performing Arts Events
Live Theatre/Comedy events opening this week include:
- The Cherry Orchard @ Guloien Theatre
- Guarded Girls @ Tarragon Theatre
- Shen Yun @ Four Seasons Centre for the Performing Arts
- A Blow in the Face @ The Theatre Centre
- Clinic @ Tarragon Theatre
- Citadel + Compagnie: Amorous Playlist @ The Citadel: Ross Centre for Dance
- Off The Grid @ Town Hall Opera House
- Ballet BC @ Bluma Appel Theatre
- The Rise and Fall of the City of Mahagonny @ Jane Mallett Theatre at St Lawrence Centre
- Rosalie Vaillancourt comedy event – Toronto Francophone Week @ Théâtre Spadina, Alliance Française
- Shove It Down My Throat @ Buddies in Bad Times Theatre
and many more!
Ergo Pink Fest
Ergo Pink Fest is a 4-day theatre festival conceived and hosted by Ergo Arts Theatre that gives voice to female and non-binary identified playwrights, providing them a unique platform to develop and showcase their work. The plays take us around the world – China, Poland, Italy and America – and talk of the experience of female, non-binary identifying and transgender characters.
The 8 plays have been written by talented Canadian playwrights, with experience ranging from new playwrights debuting their first piece of writing, to veterans of the theatre, TV, and film.
March 27 – 31, 2019
Small World Music Centre – Studio #101, Toronto
$7 – $17
CineCuba is a 3-day film festival celebrating Cuba’s 60th year of independence, the birth of the Cuban Film Commission, and the special, more than 80-year relationship between Canada and Cuba.
March 29 – 31, 2019
Royal Cinema, College Street, Toronto
Free to $10
- Upcoming Family Friendly Movies in Theatres
- Becoming Burlesque – Special Event Screening on March 27th at 7:00 PM – 9:00 PM @ The Royal Cinema
- Documentary Short Film Festival on Thursday March 28, 2019 – 7PM @ Carlton Cinemas
III. Sports & Related Events
Toronto Blue Jays Opening Weekend
March 28 to 31, 2019
Rogers Centre — 1 Blue Jays Way, Toronto
vs. New York City FC
Friday, March 29, 2019 | 8:00 PM
BMO Field, Toronto
vs. Laval Rocket
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 7:00 PM
vs. Philadelphia Wings
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 7:00 PM
IV. Exhibitions, Festivals & Other Events
HideSeek is an immersive pop-up experience inspired by childhood nostalgia. As an interactive activation with 12 multi-sensory rooms, this adventure elicits the whimsy and amusement of childhood by evoking the timeless sensation of nostalgia.
March 30 to June 2, 2019
1305 Dundas Street West, Toronto
One of a Kind Spring Show & Sale
Join us at the Spring edition of the One of a Kind Show & Sale, to discover the best in Canadian Handmade. The mission of One of a Kind is to provide a juried marketplace to bring together makers and buyers who share a commitment to handmade excellence.
March 27 – 31, 2019
Enercare Centre, Exhibition Place, Toronto
$8.50 to $15.00
Backyard Living Expo
Discover the secrets behind the perfect barbecue and learn how to make the most of your backyard, no matter the size or the budget, from industry and celebrity experts at the Backyard Living Expo, the only consumer show in the GTA dedicated exclusively to backyards.
March 29 to 31, 2019
The International Centre,
6900 Airport Rd, Mississauga
You may like:
Family Fan Day
Meet and take a photo with your favourite Canadian stars, see some amazing animals from Hands on Exotics and dance the day away as our DJ plays today’s best music. Doors will open at 10 a.m. There will be contests, quizzes, prizing featured on stage each hour – And it’s FREE for EVERYONE.
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Sony Centre for the Performing Arts – 1 Front Street East, Toronto
The Spring Cottage Life Show
This Show is the largest, premier, one-stop destination to get ready for everything summer!
March 21 to 24, 2019
The International Centre: 6900 Airport Road
$10 to $25
Maple Syrup Festivals
Learn how maple syrup is made, try a tasting flight of different grades and types of syrup, go on horse wagon rides, enjoy fresh, hot pancakes with pure maple syrup and sausages, have taffy on snow or join for Maple Syrup by Lamplight celebrations.
- AZURE Talks: New Directions in Design: This talk will feature five past and present AZ Awards jurors discussing the scope of their work, what’s on their drawing boards, and what new areas of inquiry – related to new building technologies, construction possibilities and approaches to sustainability – they are exploring within their practice. Tuesday, March 26, 2019 | 6:30 PM – 8:00 PM @ George Brown College – Waterfront Campus
- #PitchItDurham! OPN, FastStart Durham College and OPG X-Lab share a vision in bringing together entrepreneurs, investors and potential investors to create a community of sharing and collaboration. Wednesday, March 27, 2019 | 5:30PM – 9PM @ Durham College
- #imakealiving: creating a genuine brand in the digital world: The night will kick off with a panel discussion featuring Cheryl Sutherland, Casie Stewart, ColinResponse, & Beverley Cheng and you’ll be given the opportunity to ask the panelists questions specific to your business. on Wednesday, March 27, 2019 | 6pm @ The Burroughes
- Building Consent Culture: This is a workshop that uses the anti-oppression frame work to understanding rape culture and the mechanisms by which it manifests inside arts and community spaces. Wed, 27 March 2019 | 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM @Daniels Spectrum
- The Art of Cannabis Cultivation: Sowing the Seeds of Love: (Part 1) — March 27th | 7:00 PM – 8:30 PM @ Plant Alchemy Studio
- Learn Your Car-Buying Rights!: From dealership contracts to consumers rights when buying cars privately, the Ontario Motor Vehicle Industry Council (OMVIC) will talk about everything you need related to buying a car. Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. @ Victoria Village Public Library, 184 Sloane Avenue & Thursday, March 28, 2019 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. @ Dufferin/St. Clair Library, 1625 Dufferin Street East Rogers.
- The Design Clinic • Prescription #4 • Successful Space Functions — Design can empower businesses to put their best foot forward, but it can be an intimidating subject. Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 6:00pm-6:30pm @ Shopify Toronto
Friday Wine & Paint Night
Come out for a fun Friday night of painting and a glass of wine with friends and loved ones! In this workshop, you will be guided step by step through creating an image with acrylic paint on canvas.
Friday, March 29th, 2019 | 07:30 PM – 09:30 PM @ Lucsculpture Studios and School
Intuitive Art Workshop for LGBTQ
Unleash your creativity! Let go of your mind and create something uniquely our own in safe space.
Instructor: Natasha Sudenis. Details
Saturday, March 30th, 2019 | 01:00 PM – 03:30 PM @ LucSculpture Studios and School
Toronto Old Book and Paper Show
All manner of curious and interesting vintage paper! Collectors and dealers in old paper, ephemera and vintage books get together for the biggest one-day vintage print sale of the year, the only event of its kind in Ontario. 70 tables piled high with every conceivable type of vintage printed material, plus rare, unusual and antique books. Details
Sunday, March 31, 2019 | 10:00 AM – 4:00 PM @ Artscape Wychwood Barns
Ramadan festival big bazaar
Over 60 vendors will be selling a variety of products, including artisan products from many countries. Details
Sunday ,March 31,2019 from 11:00am to 6:00pm @ St. Joseph’s Banquet & Conference Centre
Things to Do to Celebrate Earth Hour in and around Toronto
Join the largest environmental movement on Earth and turn the lights off at 08:30 PM for one hour for future generations!
Six continents, over 170 countries, and 24 time zones will be united as a global community, making our voices heard through individual action. Turn off as much power as you can and focus on your commitment to climate action for the rest of this year. Details
Saturday, March 30, 2019
Relentless, fearless and locked onto the truth like a heat-seeking missle. Each of these qualities has made veteran journalist Anderson Cooper one of the most recognizable faces on television. Audiences will appreciate his candor and even-handed assessment of current events both at home and abroad as well as his light-hearted take on popular culture. Details
Saturday, March 30 2019 | 7:30 pm @ Roy Thomson Hall
Toronto Yoga Show
Join us in the heart of Downtown Toronto for 100+ hours of master classes with world class yoga instructors. Whether you’re new to yoga, or a 1000+ hour certified yoga teacher, there’s always new lessons to learn and like-minded people to grow with.
March 29 to 31, 2019 @ Metro Toronto Convention Centre
Spring & Easter Flower Show
Visit Allan Gardens and Centennial Park Conservatory and enjoy the display of Spring and Easter flowers. Details
Through April End @ Allan Gardens Conservatory – 19 Horticultural Ave. & Centennial Park Conservatory – 151 Elmcrest Road, Toronto
Scarygirl Mission Maybee Free-Roam VR Experience
Toronto-based VR/AR development studio, Dark Slope is opening its doors to the community and local enthusiasts to visit its 3,000 square foot motion capture facility and be among the first to experience its warehouse scale debut multiplayer action game, Scarygirl Mission Maybee ahead of its rollout to location-based entertainment (LBE) venues worldwide.
March 7 to 31, 2019 @ Dark Slope, 7 Fraser Avenue, Toronto
- The moon: A voyage through time: To mark the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 lunar landing The Moon: A Voyage Through Time explores our enduring fascination with this enchanting orb in the sky and looks at the role it has played in faith, science, and the arts across the Muslim world and beyond. Mar 09, 2019 – Aug 18, 2019 @ Aga Khan Museum
- Impressionism in the Age of Industry: Monet, Pissarro and more explores the Impressionists in a new way by looking at their fascination with industry, technology, and labour during the rapid industrialization of Paris and France in the 1800s. February 16 – May 5, 2019 @Art Gallery of Ontario
- Exhibit: A Stitch in Time — Enjoy examples of intricate hand stitched samplers from the Museum’s collection from February 5 to April 27, 2019 @ Whitchurch-Stouffville Museum & Community Centre
- Diagnosis Mary Kainer’s Body Burden and Diana Meredith’s Cancer Files — The two bodies of artwork making up Diagnosis are engaged in a dialogue about the intimacies of our bodies’ frailties. Illness is an experience that happens to the body – both Mary Kainer’s Body/Burden and Diana Meredith’s Cancer Files take a visceral view of their subjects. March 27 – April 7 @ Propeller Art Gallery
V. NightLife/Food and Drink Events & Festivals This Week
- Foodie Road Trips in Ontario
- Sightseeing and Dinner Cruises in Toronto
- Beer & Wine Festivals in Toronto
- Food Festivals in Toronto
- No Time To Kill! A Time Traveling Murder Mystery on Saturdays | 06:30 PM @ Chelsea Hotel – Rossetti Ballroom, 33 Gerrard Street West Toronto
- Society of Beer Drinking Ladies – Beer Dinner on Tuesday, March 26, 2019 | 6:30 PM – 9:30 PM @ Big Crow
Wolfe Island Music Festival Winter Ball
Wolfe Island Music Festival Winter Ball will be hosted by the Elwins and will feature “a surprise all-star lineup of past and future Wolfe Island Music Festival performers.”
Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 8:30 PM
The Great Hall- Longboat – 1087 Queen St. W, Toronto
$25.00 – $30.00
Dinner With A View
An intimate pop-up dining experience coming to Toronto for a limited time only. Dine under the stars in clear frameless geodesic domes with a special menu curated by Chef René Rodriguez, Top Chef Canada Season 4 Winner, Iron Chef Challenge Winner against Chef Bobby Flay in 2016 and Iron Chef Canada Challenger in 2018.
March 28 to May 2, 2019
The Bentway; 250 Fort York Blvd, Toronto
$99.99 & up
Lǚkè Pop Up Series : I
Meaning Traveler in Mandarin, Lǚkè transports each guest to a different location by combining flavour, design, style and service for a full globetrotter experience in your very own city.
Each series will offer a new menu and experience like no other – so come join in the adventure and travel with us.
March 28 to April 5, 2019
Grace Venue, 150 Symes Road, Toronto
Workshop: The Art of Marmalade
In this workshop master preserver Camilla Wynne will dive deep into marmalade, from its storied history to creative modern day recipes. We will sample different styles and flavours, and learn safe canning practices and the science of preserving. In the kitchen we will prepare two different marmalades using distinct methods and customizable flavours. You will leave with a jar of each, ready to tackle any canning project and able to safely Only 12 spots available! Pre-registration is required.
Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 1-4 PM
14732 Woodbine Avenue
$50.00 per person
Concerts/Events at Clubs
- RY X on Monday, March 25, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ The Great Hall
- The White Buffalo on Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ The Danforth Music Hall
- Mansionair with Beacon on Tuesday, March 26 | 07:30 PM @ Velvet Underground
- Deez Laughs presents on Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 | 8:00 – 9:30 PM @ Comedy Bar
- The Noise Presents: Cradle of Filth: Cryptoriana World Tour on Wednesday, March 27 | 06:00 PM @ The Opera House
- Sasha Sloan with Lauren Aquilina on Wednesday, March 27 | 07:00 PM @ Velvet Underground
- Doug Paisley on Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ The Drake Hotel
- Tribute to Lenny Stoute on Thursday, March 28, 2019 | 7:30 PM @ The Horseshoe Tavern
- Crash Test Dummies on Friday, March 29, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ Phoenix Concert Theatre
- My Son the Hurricane on Friday, March 29, 2019 | 8:30 PM @ Lee’s Palace
- Tommy Youngsteen: Best of Fleetwood Mac with JJ & The Pillars on Friday, March 29 | 9:00 PM @ The Horseshoe Tavern
- Sander Van Doorn on Friday, March 29 | 10:00 PM @ TOYBOX
- Gary Gulman – The Great Depresh Tour on Friday, March 29 | 06:00 PM @ The Great Hall
- Luke Combs: Beer Never Broke My Heart Tour on Friday, March 29 | 07:00 PM @ Tribute Communities Centre
- Graveyard & Uncle Acid on Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 7:00 PM @ The Danforth Music Hall
- Yob, Voivod on Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ The Phoenix Concert Theatre
- Julian Taylor Band on Saturday, March 30, 2019 | 8:00 PM @ The Great Hall
- Choker on Saturday, March 30 | 07:00 PM @ The Drake Hotel – Underground
You may also like
Please verify all details from concerned Event Websites/officials before travelling.
Road Closures in Toronto – Here;
Bookmark this page and check back next week for more activities.