The first weekend in Augustis a long weekend for most of the Maritimes. PEI has many fairs, festivals, and events taking place over the weekend. This weekend is the perfect time to travel to PEI and across some for the must-do activities. Here are only 15 things to do this Civic Day Weekend in PEI.
1. Atlantic Fiddlers Jamboree – Abram Village from August 2 to 4, 2019
If you love fiddle music, you need to check out the Atlantic Fiddlers Jamboree in Abram Village. Fiddlers travel from across PEI, the Maritimes and North America to take the stage to entertain you and show off their skills. There are also Island step-dancers who will take the stage. You can learn to step dance and fiddle at one of the interesting workshops that are offered during the weekend.
2. Panmure Island Night in the Park – Panmure Island Provincial Park on August 2, 2019
Panmure Island is a popular white sand beach and is supervised during the summer. On August 2nd, 2019, enjoy an evening concert at the Panmure Island Night in the Park. So, bring a tent or your camper and stay at the park overnight.
3. 55th Annual Tyne Valley Oyster Festival – Tyne Valley from July 31 – August 4, 2019
If you are an Oyster aficionado, you should head to the small town of Tyne Valley for their huge five day, 55th Annual Tyne Valley Oyster Festival. The weekend is packed with family fun events. Make sure to watch the Canadian Oyster Shucking Championship to see how the professionals do it.
4. Rock the Boat Music Festival – Port Hill on August 3, 2019
The Rock the Boat Music Festival is a part of the 54th Annual Tyne Valley Oyster Festival, but it can be enjoyed on its own. This year’s lineup includes Big Wreck, The Road Hammers, Honeymoon Suite, Haywire, Soul Filter, The Ellis Family Band, and more.
5. The Mighty Island Chowder Trail – across PEI until October 6, 2019
Take part in this epic seafood adventure and “cha cha chowder” your way from one tip of the Island to the other. Visit unique one of a kind locations and experience a variety of delectable Island chowders.
6. Island Fringe Festival – Charlottetown from August 1 to 4, 2019
The Island Fringe Festival showcases independent performances and theatre and takes place in unconventional venues across Charlottetown’s downtown. The entrance fee for all the shows is by donation or you can pick up a Fringe Pin for $5.
7. Roma Heritage Chocolate Festival – Three Rivers from August 2 to 3, 2019
The festival kicks off with a scrumptious dinner on Friday, followed by family fun activities for all ages on Saturday. There will be lots of chocolate, heritage food, great music, dancing and more.
8. 155th PEI Highland Games & Scottish Festival – Eldon from August 3 to 4, 2019
Experience Scottish culture at the 155th PEI Highland Games & Scottish Festival. There is so much to do during the festival including Highland Dancing, heavy sports competitions, and much more. There will also be local vendors on site selling PEI goods.
9. PEI Truck and Tractor Pull Championships – Crapaud from August 2 to 3, 2019
Get a close look at stock and modified trucks and tractors before they pull objects as far as they can. This year is the 38th annual PEI Truck and Tractor Pull Championships and it is going to be the biggest and most entertaining than ever before.
10. North Rustico Country Music Festival – North Rustico from August 2 to 4, 2019
Entertainers travel from near and far to the North Rustico Country Music Festival. This year’s line-up of amazing musical performers includes Allison Inch, Roger Lanteigne, Bonnie Rairdon, Floyd Spicer, Ivan and Vivian Hicks, Blain Henshaw, Jo-Ann Newman, and many more performers.
11. Halloween in the Park – Red Point and Cedar Dunes Campgrounds on August 3, 2019
Why wait until October to celebrate Halloween? The Red Point campground and Cedar Dunes campground are hosting Halloween in the Park. Be prepared for scary surprises, yummy treats and freighting stories around the campfire.
12. Jacques Cartier Sandcastle Building Competition – Kildare on August 4, 2019
Bring your shovels, buckets, and sandcastle building skills to the Jacques Cartier Sandcastle Building Competition. There will be prizes and everyone is welcome to test their skills at this popular competition. You just need to sign up with a Program Staff member, they wear green shirts.
13. Kitchen Parties at Village Musical Acadien – Abram Village, Every Friday until August 30, 2019
Each Friday, the Village Musical Acadien hosts an important part of Acadian culture. By joining in one of the Kitchen Parties at Village Musical Acadien, you can experience this unique cultural activity. Bring your friends and family to the Kitchen Party to enjoy live music and make new friends.
14. Sunday Series: Tunes on Tap! – Montague, Every Sunday
Every Sunday, a small group of musicians comes together for an afternoon to play traditional Celtic music. Get ready to tap your toes to the music when you go to Sunday Series: Tunes on Tap.
15. Downtown Farmer’s Market – Charlottetown, Every Sunday until September 29, 2019
The Downtown Farmer’s Market is the place to be if you are looking for freshly picked produce, baked goods, crafts, and much more. This farmers market is open on Sundays from 11 am until 4 pm. The vendors welcome everyone to come and check out the market.